Thai MP proposes legalizing prostitution

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thai MP proposes legalizing prostitution

Post by Gaybutton »

If that actually happens, that's good news - if they don't impose all kinds of regulations to ruin it. Meanwhile, does it really matter whether they legalize it or not? After all, how necessary is it to legalize something hardly ever enforced in the first place? The only 'maybe' advantage I can see, on a practical basis, would be if short time rooms in the bars become legal - but careful - probably gotta wear a mask . . .

MP suggests legalising prostitution

by Aekarach Sattaburuth

17 Jun 2020

A member of parliament is looking to legalise prostitution and sex toys to help address a surge in rape and other sexual assault cases.

Thai Civilized Party MP Mongkolkit Suksintharanon said he will ask the House committee tasked with combating rape to back his proposal to legalise prostitution and sex toys in the kingdom.

Mr Mongkolkit said the government should also help people who cannot afford such services if prostitution is legalised.

"Most rape cases involve old male widowers and low-income earners," he said. "These people do not have the means and the financial resources to satisfy their sexual [urges]. So, they vent their frustration on family members."

"If they could afford prostitutes, or have the means to manage their urges, the number of rape cases would decrease," Mr Mongkolkit said.

Mr Mongkolkit is an adviser and also a member of the House committee.

The media has recently reported several high-profile rape cases, including one involving seven people identified as neighbours and relatives of one victim.

This has led to calls for the government to introduce chemical castration as a deterrent to would-be rapists.

Khangkai Areeyasakul, a social media blogger who gives advice to rape victims, has submitted a petition to Mr Mongkolkit's House committee, calling for the punishment to be introduced.

"Imprisonment is not a sufficient [punishment] to combat rape," Ms Khangkai said.

"Chemical castration will nip the cause of rape in the bud."

The House committee says it will take a look at all proposals to deal with sex crimes before submitting its own proposals for a new bill in July.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/po ... n#cxrecs_s
bkkguy

Re: Thai MP proposes legalizing prostitution

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 am If that actually happens, that's good news - if they don't impose all kinds of regulations to ruin it.
I think you only need to look at how the sale of alcohol is controlled to get a good idea of how they could go about managing this :)
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm I think you only need to look at how the sale of alcohol is controlled to get a good idea of how they could go about managing this :)
That must mean between 2pm-5pm, no prostitution . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I've seen nothing more about this since the original post, so I'm moving the topic off of "Announcements" for the time being until or unless we hear more about it. If anything comes of it, rest assured it will be back under "Announcements".