Jomtien Beach to be widened

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Jomtien Beach to be widened

Post by Gaybutton »

Work to start on B586m enlargement of Jomtien beach

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

12 Jun 2020

CHON BURI: The Marine Department will spend 586 million baht extending and widening Jomtien beach, with the work due to begin by the end of this month.

Ekkarat Khantharo, director of the 6th Marine Region Office, said on Friday the department had contracted Italian-Thai Development Co to extend Jomtien beach, after earlier enlarging Pattaya beach.

The landfill extension would cost 586 million baht and would take about 900 days. Work was due to begin by the end of this month, Mr Ekkarat said.

During the first phase, the beach would be built up with extra sand, from Lung Sawai shop to Soi Na Jomtien 11, a distance of 3.5 kilometres. The beach would be widened by 50 metres.

Sand would be shipped in from Koh Rang Kwian to enlarge the beach. About 680,000 cubic metres of sand would be required, Mr Ekkarat said.

Work on the second phase, from Soi Na Jomtien 11 to Phra Tamnak, also a distance of 3.5km, was expected to begin in fiscal budget year 2022, he said. The sand would also come from Koh Rang Kwian.

Funds would be budgeted in fiscal year 2021 to build up Bang Saen beach, which was being severely eroded, he said. The work of extending Jomtien would continue with the second stage the following year.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... tien-beach
Up2u

Re: Jomtien Beach to be widened

Post by Up2u »

I thought they would have worked north to south just like they did at Pattaya Beach.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:27 am I thought they would have worked north to south just like they did at Pattaya Beach.
At least they're doing it at all - until erosion creates the same problem again. I just hope whatever they're doing won't be harmful to the marine environment.

I think the reason they're working south to north is because the south end of the beach is almost completely washed away. There is hardly any beach left at all in that area.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

I was at Jomtien Beach yesterday. It was very balmy day, nice breeze and very few customers. We sat at Mr. Rits and
he said they were only open three days. He discounted our chairs 50%, with being asked. It was low tide and a good way
to wile away a couple of hours. Cute waiters too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

catawampuscat wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:01 am with being asked.
Did you mean without being asked?
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

Yes, without !
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dongtan beach has 2 distinct slopes. There's the steeper part that's normally used.
Then, when there's a very low tide, a large flat beach with a much shallower slope is exposed. That's quite pleasant for walking on.

So with such a profile, extending the beach should work in at least the short term.
In the long term, I expect global warming will finish it off.

Has Pattaya beach been extended at some point ? When I was there a few months ago, it did seem to be wider than I remember.

Also, at least Jomtien does not have any of these awful constructions over the beach, as we see around walking street. Despite miles and miles of nothing inland, they have to build over the beach.

Hua Hin has a similar monstrosity & when I was there about 3~4 years ago, I was asked to sign a petition to oppose the demolition. I politely declined and kept walking.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Jomtien/Dongtan and Pattaya beaches are similar in that northern sections are the widest and most pleasant. The Pattaya beach rebuild was successful in my opinion and done in small sections to minimize inconvenience to the public. I had hoped the construction at Dongtan/Pattaya Park​ ​could start first during this lull in tourism rather than a year or two when hopefully things return to normal.