By Barry Kenyon

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: By Barry Kenyon

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:40 am
like a typical bully you have no qualms about using that same iron fist against anybody upsetting your delicate sensibilities!
Typical bullies use the same iron fist? The same one? MY iron fist? OMG, I've been robbed!

Your post brings tears to my eyes, but you got it right. No qualms at all. At first I thought I might have one or two qualms, but I checked - there are none. I might have to see if I can borrow a qualm or two somewhere.

Are you going to keep dodging my question? "My 'continuing petty goading about this'". Really? When was the last time I did that?"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya has 2,500 foreign visitors and counting

By Barry Kenyon

November 13, 2021

The Thai Hotels Association reckons that the Thailand Pass entry system has been slow getting off the ground in Pattaya. Phisut Sae-Khu, president of the eastern chapter, said that he expected the number to grow to 10,000 per month by the end of the year.

Pattaya Mail contacted three formally recognized “ASQ” hotels in the resort where new arrivals have to spend a night awaiting the result of their RT-PCR virus test. About half of the 2,500 arrivals since November 1 appear to be longstay residents with annual visas, the five-year Elite visa, work permits or permanent residency. The other 50 percent had arrived on 30 days visa exempt permission or 60-days tourist visas or, in at least two cases, the STV (Special Tourist Visa) which allows a vacation up to 270 days. Pattaya Mail stresses these are estimates based on local research.

Mr Phisut said he was disappointed about the continuing ban on sales of alcohol in restaurants, whilst bars and clubs remain shuttered at least until mid-January. He pointed out that drinking alcohol during the course of a meal was much less dangerous than illegal booze parties. Several local tourism-related associations had submitted a request to the Tourism and Sports Ministry to allow alcohol sales in venues specifically cleared by the government-recognized Safety and Health Administration.

But skeptical business sources in Pattaya say an immediate lifting of booze bans is unlikely while reported infection rates remain high. They sense that the government, though unlikely to admit it publicly, is concerned that any loophole will be exploited in a rebellious resort where police have been busy raiding “secret” gatherings of carefree individuals. Former Walking Street publican Ed Reese said, “The nightmare scenario is four people in a restaurant sharing endless bottles of liquor whilst or nibbling a cheese sandwich or a chicken leg.” Social distancing and health precautions become impossible after the first few glasses.

Police sources say that over 600 arrests have been made in the Pattaya area over the past three four months for illegal drinking at parties. Mostly, attendees have been fined and sent home after a night in the cells. Venue operators are mostly awaiting court appearances for violating their licence, or not having one in the first place. The overall number includes 150 foreigners. Contrary to social media gossip and expectations, they are not imprisoned in overcrowded jails and deported in handcuffs. They are fined between 5,000 and 15,000 baht and told to behave.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ing-379139

There is also quite a long article about the current status of tourism in the November 14 Bangkok Post: See: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/sp ... haky-start

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

They say that there were 2500 visitors in the first 2 weeks expecting it to grow to 10,000 per month.

How can they justify that with the announcement that there would be no entertainment in Pattaya whatsoever over Xmas and The New Year holiday period...? Not even a single beer with dinner.

Secondly, great store is made of 150 arrests of foreigners for drinking in the last four months. Wow that’s 1 per day...just!

The vast majority were of course Thais.

Enough rambling...as I have said before they are now (very successfully) making Pattaya into another Chernobyl...

RIP Pattaya.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:46 am
expecting it to grow to 10,000 per month.
They can expect whatever they want. But expecting ain't getting . . .

Jun

Post by Jun »

Those in power simply don't care about those who are dependent on the tourism industry.

If they did care, they could make it a lot easier.
Process the online form immediately, as other countries seemed to manage.
Test & go ought to mean a lateral flow test upon arrival & good to go 30 minutes later.
Closure of bars with current & projected vaccination rates is crazy.

The basic principle should be to rapidly dial back restrictions once vaccination rates reach a high level. Thailand is failing with this.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai government to back gay rights bill

By Barry Kenyon

November 19, 2021

Following an expected ruling by the constitutional court which limits the definition of marriage to opposite-sex couples, the government has agreed to speed up a draft law to protect all genders. Deputy prime minister Wissanu Krea-ngam pointed out the court ruling did include a suggestion that parliament could change section 1448 of the civil and commercial code which discriminated on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Two stalled bills are currently within parliamentary committees. One would allow full gay marriage for gays and the other limits the legal protection to civil unions. Mr Wissanu’s announcement appears to support the second and more limited version. One of the main differences is that full gay marriage is required for same-sex partners to enjoy anti-discrimination rights in employment and pension legislation.

Depending on the detail, Thailand is scheduled to be the first country in Asia to enshrine legal equality for gays. Taiwan is often quoted as the first nation to permit full gay equality, although there are restrictions. For instance, citizens cannot marry a foreigner. Depending on the drafting process and the enthusiasm of the government parties, a new law could see the light of day sometime next year. If a general election was called, that could create an indefinite delay.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ill-379744

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Covid 60 days visa extensions extended to end of January

By Barry Kenyon

November 24, 2021

After leaks on social media, immigration authorities are confirming that longer stays for foreigner tourists, unable or unwilling to return home, are to be granted until January 25 2022. This means that the 60 days, so-called Covid visas are available beyond the previous date of late November. The new permissions obtained would be valid a further two months with the last ones being stamped until the end of March 2022.

Individual immigration offices operate slightly different rules when awarding the Covid extensions. Some require applicants to state orally the pandemic is preventing their return home, others require either embassy written approval or confirmation that the diplomatic post does not issue support on such matters. Theoretically, immigration officers can refuse to issue extensions on the grounds of “abuse of hospitality”, but problems have been few and far between in practice.

The Covid visas were introduced by Thailand two years ago after the pandemic caused international lockdowns with many airports closing down completely for passenger traffic. That is no longer true, but some observers believe that the country needs all the visitors it can persuade to stay at the moment. However, the renewals must be made punctually, two months at a time, and overstayers are still subject to fines, or even deportation in serious cases.

An alternative view is that the extensions reflect that Thailand’s land borders remain closed to most people. They are partially open to returning nationals of Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos who have been working in Thailand on Memorandum of Understanding labour permits, as well as most goods traffic in both directions. As the health dangers of Covid slowly recede, international border traffic may resume in the normal way. Cambodian and Thai officials are meeting this week to consider the formal opening of Poipet, Stung Bot and Koh Kong border posts this week, although Thai authorities are thought to be hesitant about liberalization until coronavirus numbers fall further.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ary-380531

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I suppose the optimistic way of looking at what has happened to Pattaya - and not only Walking Street - is while we seem to be living through the end of an era, the end of an era means the beginning of a new one. Let's hope it will be what we hope it will be.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Since this is a photo story, just click on the link: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ins-380664

Photo story: Pattaya’s Walking Street now in ruins
By Barry Kenyon
November 25, 2021