Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: By Barry Kenyon

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 am
Jun wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:50 am
he could find a suitable third country with none of this red list bullshit, fly there, stay for 11 days and then fly to the UK.
Can you be certain that would work?

Also, which countries would be suitable?
The red list rules only apply if we have been in the red list country in the last 10 days, according to gov.co.uk.
So spending 11 days in a non-red list country before returning to the UK definitely satisfies UK requirements.

So the only remaining task is to find a suitable country that allows visitors from Thailand in AND is not on the UK red list.
A quick check shows that Ireland allows people in from Thailand with no quarantine, just a PCR test and no doubt some other paperwork.

So I'm confident that will work. Am I certain ? Well to be certain I'd need to read all the small print for the various countries & that level of research can wait until I need it for a trip of my own.
Besides, whilst Ireland is an option, I'd rather go via a country that's somewhat warmer.

billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Ireland works. I have friends who have used that route and quite enjoyed their Irish holiday.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:50 am
Ireland works. I have friends who have used that route and quite enjoyed their Irish holiday.
I think what travelers need to know is if it works that way if first they travel to one of the red list countries and then go to a country such as Ireland before returning home.

I'm hoping none of you will have to go through that. Maybe by the time you travel Thailand will no longer be on the red list.

I wonder how it will work if you travel while Thailand is on the red list and while you are still in Thailand, they remove Thailand from the red list. Conversely, you travel to Thailand once Thailand has been removed from the red list, but while you are still in Thailand, it goes back on the red list.

There is even the possibility that you could travel to Thailand once Thailand has been removed from the red list. Then while you are in Thailand it goes back on the red list, but before you return home Thailand is once again removed from the red list. I don't think that is such a farfetched possibility for those of you planning to be in Thailand several months.

Does anyone know - not guess, but know - what happens under these kinds of circumstances? I would want answers before I travel. If you do know, please tell us how you know.

I would also want to be certain about whether, if any of these actually happen to you, it has any effect on your insurance coverage.

What happens to your insurance coverage if you go to a red list country at all? My guess is if you go to a red list country and something happens to you while you're there, you get to find out the hard way that you don't have any insurance coverage. Also, if you go to a red list country and nothing happens to you, but once you return home you become ill and the illness can be traced such that it originated while you were still in a red list country, would that void your insurance coverage?

Here's another fun thought - if Thailand is on the UK's red list and you travel to Thailand from the UK, will Thailand even let you come in?

This is part of what I mean when I advise thinking with your head, not your crotch. Again, I would want reliable answers before I'd go anywhere. Speaking only for myself, while a country is on the red list, then I'm not going to that country.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 am
Does anyone know - not guess, but know - what happens under these kinds of circumstances? I would want answers before I travel. If you do know, please tell us how you know.
If the rules say quarantine is required if a traveler has been in Thailand in the last 11 days before returning to the UK, then if he has not been in Thailand in the last 11 days, it follows that quarantine is not required.
The traveler would have to be barking mad to choose the quarantine option.
Gaybutton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 am
What happens to your insurance coverage if you go to a red list country at all? My guess is if you go to a red list country and something happens to you while you're there, you get to find out the hard way that you don't have any insurance coverage.
I'm fairly sure that almost all standard UK policies will NOT provide valid cover for a red list country. That's from past experience of reading the small print. I'll look for a policy that DOES provide cover & read the small print, in an attempt to avoid surprises.

billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear in my reply to Jun. If you are returning to UK from Thailand, or another red list country, and fly into Ireland for an 11 day 'holiday' first, then you do not have to undergo compulsory hotel quarantine in returning to UK from Ireland. Friends have done this without problems.

Jun

Post by Jun »

billyhouston wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 pm
I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear in my reply to Jun.
Your comments were completely clear & logical.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This is an ignorant question, but if you fly to Ireland from Thailand under current circumstances, does anything happen upon arrival in Ireland, such as quarantine or anything else?

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It is my understanding that even if you are fully vaccinated within the UK, if you travel to a red list country you are still subject to all the restrictions and quarantine upon return, as if you were never vaccinated at all.

Am I correct?

UK continues its refusal to recognise vaccines administered in Thailand

by Jonathan Fairfield

September 24, 2021

The UK’s current travel rules regarding COVID-19 and the ongoing refusal to recognise vaccines administered in Thailand is a significant blow to British expats wishing to return to their home country.

Travel between Thailand and the UK is affected by two issues:

1. Thailand being on the UK’s ‘red list’

2. The UK govt’s refusal to recognise vaccines administered in Thailand

The issues remain despite the UK government earlier this month announcing major changes to the country’s international travel and health rules related to COVID-19.

On Sept 17, the Department for Transport (DfT) confirmed that from October, it will increase the number of countries from which travellers’ vaccination certification will be recognised.

“From 4 October, England will welcome fully vaccinated travellers from a host of new countries – who will be treated like returning fully vaccinated UK travellers – including 17 countries and territories such as Japan and Singapore, following the success of an existing pilot with the US and Europe,” read a DfT statement.

At the same time, the UK has also confirmed it will start recognising people who have received so-called ‘mix and match’ vaccines as being fully vaccinated.

However, none of the above applies to people who have been vaccinated in Thailand.

Thailand remains on the UK’s red list, meaning people travelling to the UK are forced to enter mandatory quarantine for 10 days.

The cost to quarantine in a dedicated facility in the UK is in the region of £2,000 per person.

In addition, the UK still does not consider people who have been vaccinated in Thailand, even if they have received two doses of the same vaccine, as being “fully vaccinated”.

The rules currently being implemented by the UK government are a severe blow to British expats in Thailand who have spent the best part of 18 months separated from their friends and families in the UK because of the pandemic.

Several ASEAN NOW readers have highlighted the issue, with many failing to see the justification for the UK government implementing such a policy, especially to people who have received two doses of the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine.

“It is like the British government is punishing me for being an expat in Thailand”, a reader told ASEAN NOW.

“I have received two doses of AstraZeneca in Bangkok, which means I am fully vaccinated.

“But they (the UK govt) still won’t let me visit without going into quarantine.

“There is no rhyme nor reason to this policy”, they added.

The issue doesn’t only affect British expats in Thailand. The UK does not recognise vaccines administered in close to 100 countries, mainly those located in south Asia, Africa and Latin America.

Furthermore, the fact Thailand remains on the UK’s ‘red list’ all but rules out Thailand as a destination for tourists from the UK.

The UK is on Thailand’s list of countries approved for its ‘Sandbox’ program.

But under the UK government’s rules, even if a British tourist is fully vaccinated, they would still be required to enter mandatory quarantine for 10 days upon their return to the UK from Thailand.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1232844-uk-c ... -thailand/

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Barry's "Pattaya Covid photo story: September 2021"

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... 021-373234

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm
It is my understanding that even if you are fully vaccinated within the UK, if you travel to a red list country you are still subject to all the restrictions and quarantine upon return, as if you were never vaccinated at all.

Am I correct?
I think so.

The whole purpose of the UK Red List is obviously to prevent, or slow down the import of new virus mutations.

Then the vaccines dramatically reduce your chances of getting severe illness, by over 90%, but what they do not do is totally prevent anyone from catching covid or transmitting it.
Therefore, if having a "Red List", there is some logic to applying the same rule to people with and without vaccines.

(I think they should probably scrap the red list, but I'm just offering one explanation for the rules as they are)

Quarantine is not much fun. I would simply spend the 11 nights in another country without a red list.