By Barry Kenyon

Anything and everything about Thailand
bkkguy

Re: By Barry Kenyon

Post by bkkguy »

Barry Kenyon wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:14 am
The newest priority in the farang population are the over 60s, or those in-health, which accounts for most retirees anyway. They are told to register personally at the hospital which has their records beginning on June 7 but without a definite date for inoculation.
I am in Bangkok so your mileage in Pattaya may vary, but my local private hospital which has my health records started registration a few days early and as a 65 yo with a couple of the listed co-morbidities they happily took my registration and gave me a "priority" appointment for my first jab mid-July, but at least it was for Astra-Zenica, and to be fair given the number of hotspots with high infection rates in Bangkok I am sure people's idea of priority may differ ...
I’m nervous now when people cough near me, I would be much more comfortable if they would far cough.

Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

Good for you bkkguy, I am very envious. There is no sign as yet that Pattaya will be able to keep up with Bangkok, but I am hoping that we will be able to register from Monday at the hospitals here. I had been thinking of holding out for the Moderna vaccine, but frankly I am so scared by the increasing infections and deaths in Thailand that I will take whatever vaccine is on offer.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am
I am hoping that we will be able to register from Monday at the hospitals here.
Unfortunately it looks like that is not going to happen in Pattaya, at least not at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. See: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 11#p104311

I have no idea whether any other hospitals in Pattaya or near Pattaya are going to be offering vaccines or if any do, whether they will be able to accept registrations beginning June 7. I have seen no publicity about other hospitals in Pattaya, Sattahip, or Si Racha. It can't hurt to check. If anyone reading this does find out that other hospitals are offering the vaccine, please post and let us know which ones and where.

I am not frightened about getting Covid. I follow all the precautions and avoid being near people I don't know. I figure I've made it so far without getting Covid, so my chances of avoiding Covid are very good. Besides, even after getting vaccinated I am still going to follow the precautions until it is clear that nobody or very few people are getting Covid around here anymore.

The one thing that does scare me is what might happen if tourism reopens and a lot of people really do start coming. That is how Covid has been spreading.

ceejay

Post by ceejay »

As far as Chiang Mai Province goes, we are fortunate. The Governor has been very proactive and the province now has it's own registration and booking system. All the major private hospitals, including Bangkok Hospital Group, are participating in the government vaccination programme. W have been promised that any previous registrations/bookings made on earlier systems (Mor Phrom, Walk-in registration at shopping malls, a previous special Line account from the Provincial Health Centre and bookings made in person at hospitals) will be transferred to the new system. Every expat I know, who has requested one, now has an appointment for July sometime. There has been some question as to the actual availability of vaccine, but that seems to have been settled now.

The section in quotes below is copied from a Line news group that I am a member of. Some of you may find it helpful.
(hot) OK LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, here we go, official feedback received just now, 4 June 2021 @ 18.12 from Office of International Cooperation Department of Disease Control Ministry of Public Health Thailand:
Dear Sir,
Regarding the way to receive the vaccine in Thailand, you can register through the website " www.ThailandIntervac.com/diplomats ". However, during 1 - 6 June 2021, the website will be allocated for only Diplomatic and International organization staff first. In the meantime, from 7 June onward, we plan to open for all foreigners residing in Thailand via website " www.ThailandIntervac.com "
Best Regards,
UNQUOTE

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I just had a look at the www.Thailandintervac.com site. This morning now it says:
The vaccination appointment through this website is for embassy staff, consulates, international organizations and their families only. If you are identified that you are not the aforementioned staff, the vaccination appointment will be canceled. Please present the employee card at the registration site.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand puts a lot of faith in tourist Sandboxes, but who will actually arrive?

By Barry Kenyon

June 5, 2021

It’s now virtually certain that the Phuket Sandbox will commence on July 1. Thus international vacationers won’t have to suffer the dreaded hotel quarantine, provided they are fully vaccinated. All being well, Pattaya and several other tourist hotspots can become Sandboxes starting October 1.

The obvious question is who exactly will be the customer base for Sandboxes over the next six months. Of course, travel advice and immigration rules can change overnight these days. But we can assume that neither China nor India – Thailand’s biggest leisure customers in recent history – will be sending over their people in droves any time soon. The Chinese government has banned most international travel and all charter flights, whilst India is fighting a huge pandemic outbreak within its own borders.

Thai tourist authorities have stated in recent days that early Sandboxers will be American or European. But the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention is currently advising citizens “to avoid non-essential travel to Thailand as even vaccinated travellers are at risk because of virus variants.” Thailand is listed as a level 3 danger zone, next to the highest category because of coronavirus intensity, although Cambodia and the Philippines are both in the worst category 4 list.

The UK meanwhile has a strange traffic lights colour system for all countries in which Thailand is listed as amber. But this means that the government “strongly discourages” vacations in Thailand and requires several Covid tests before and after the return journey, as well as up to 10 days’ voluntary quarantine at home. The British are well-known for yawning when being told what to do by their government, but the consequences if amber turns to red might be serious. Brits might lose their holiday insurance for ignoring official advice and have to undergo compulsory hotel quarantine on return at a cost of around two thousand pounds.

The European Union leaves the detail of travel restrictions to individual members, but the Sandbox prospects don’t look good. Angela Merkel has said Germans should holiday domestically this year (as last) and advocated a trip to “the North Sea rather than to the South Seas.” The French government has said something similar with one minister recently stating, “Distant foreign trips should not be on the cards for the French this year.”

Some sources have suggested Israel might be a better bet. Hardly. A government website describes Thailand as “a destination with increasing infection rates and, without a significant reversal, this destination will be categorized as hazardous.” Russia, a country of last resort in this context, hasn’t said much about Thailand in particular. But all flights from Bangkok to Moscow will be banned from June 10 whilst Thai nationals are not allowed to enter Russia by land, sea or air. Such a policy doesn’t sound like a Sandbox panacea.

Thailand has been very bold in its policies to restart international tourism. Neighbors such as Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and the Philippines have banned all leisure visitors outright. It’s certainly possible that Thai government sources know something we don’t about the international market out there. One rumour is that Scandinavians from the frozen north are particularly keen to kiss Thai beaches, that is assuming the bars are open.

But many Europeans and Americans are surely wondering whether the veiled threats from their governments and the bureaucracy of satisfying the certificate of entry requirements from the local Thai embassy make a costly trip worth the effort in 2021. It was the hero in Voltaire’s novella Candide who said he had travelled the whole world but found his own back garden the best place to relax. Let’s hope he doesn’t speak for everyone.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ive-358561

ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:06 am
I just had a look at the www.Thailandintervac.com site. This morning now it says:
The vaccination appointment through this website is for embassy staff, consulates, international organizations and their families only. If you are identified that you are not the aforementioned staff, the vaccination appointment will be canceled. Please present the employee card at the registration site.
Indeed so, but the original message suggested that the site will be opened to the wider community on the 7th, which is tomorrow.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
the original message suggested that the site will be opened to the wider community on the 7th, which is tomorrow.
I hope so. Please let us know.

I'm hoping the same for Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on the 7th, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll know for both soon enough.

ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:52 pm
ceejay wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
the original message suggested that the site will be opened to the wider community on the 7th, which is tomorrow.
I hope so. Please let us know.

I'm hoping the same for Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on the 7th, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll know for both soon enough.
The link is now available to over 60's and those with some specific co-morbidities in the general population. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya is listed as a location, but is not stated to be available now, which some locations are.

I have no occasion to use this site myself as I am already registered in Chiang Mai via our local system.

bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Ruthrieston wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am
I had been thinking of holding out for the Moderna vaccine, but frankly I am so scared by the increasing infections and deaths in Thailand that I will take whatever vaccine is on offer.
as I keep reading on many COVID-related sites
The best vaccine is the one you can get NOW
I’m nervous now when people cough near me, I would be much more comfortable if they would far cough.