By Barry Kenyon

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: By Barry Kenyon

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:27 am
Since China is supplying weapons and supporting the junta there will no doubt be many tourists visiting from China.
Good. Let the Chinese tour buses plague their cities instead of Pattaya.

And why the Chinese government always supports the world's worst pieces of shit, such as Kim Jong Un, goes beyond me. The more they're evil, the more they're likely to get full support from China - which in my opinion makes the Chinese government almost as bad as they are.

billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Sergey Lavrov arrived in Myanmar this morning. Min Aung Hlaing has been backwards and forwards to Russia, who are supplying the country with weapons.

Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

The war criminals are sticking together, Russia and Myanmar. We can only hope that the ICC can eventually convict them of their crimes and imprison the leaders

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to go to countries where tyrants are murdering their own people, let along going there expecting to enjoy a holiday. The fact that they're trying to lure in tourists is laughable. Did they forget about the "internet"?.

The same holds true for the other snake pits on earth, i.e., Russia, North Korea, China, etc. Maybe these places should ban together and start promoting holidays where they can each visit each other's countries at reduced rates and leave the Free-World out of it. You can toss in the Arabs too - there nothing but a pain in the ass.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:49 am
We can only hope that the ICC can eventually convict them of their crimes and imprison the leaders
That would be a day I'd like to see, but I doubt the leaders would ever end up serving any jail time.

"I know it is not possible, but does it not delight your imagination?"
- Hugh Griffith (Sheik Ilderim), 'Ben Hur'

Here's that whole segment. I posted it because I love the way Hugh Griffith says it. He won Best Actor in a Supporting Role for this movie.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The Thai and Cambodian golden expat visas now look to be very different

By Barry Kenyon

August 6, 2022

The recently-confirmed 10-year visas for Thailand and Cambodia have sparked considerable debate about the similarities, real or imagined. The Cambodian My Second Home (CM2H) program was formally launched publicly at Phnom Penh’s five-star Sofitel hotel on July 22 and was attended by senior government figures including the director general of immigration. This incidentally demolishes the idea, favored on some Cambodian social media sites, that the whole thing is a scam. We now know for sure that the scheme is organized by the private sector but supported by state agencies.

The authorities in both Thailand and Cambodia are keen to attract rich executives, experts, entrepreneurs, the idle-rich and even retirees provided they are willing to invest mega cash on an ongoing basis. The Thai rules for a Long Term Visa (LTR) vary somewhat according to category, but anyone with less than one million US dollars, or equivalent, to spare is unlikely to survive the qualifying rules. The scheme is fronted by Thailand’s business-orientated Board of Investment. CM2H specifically mentions a cash investment of US$100,000 although it appears that registration charges of several kinds might almost double that figure.

The huge difference is that Cambodia’s CM2H is specifically linked to property purchase, whereas Thailand’s LTR allows other kinds of investment. The Cambodian program is not run by any branch of the government, but is operated by the Khmer Home Charity Association, only recently established and marketed by the Hong Kong-based GC Property with newly-opened offices in Phnom Penh. It appears that applicants for the program are required to invest in a specific housing project of that company rather than one of their own choosing. The Thai scheme for the first time promises to foreigners freehold ownership of one rai of land and a residential house, but the detail of where, when and how is still being debated behind closed doors.

Published details show other differences. LTR requires a minimum of US$50,000 medical insurance to qualify, but CM2H allows free participation in the government’s health regulations, at least for an initial period. Both schemes make provision for automatic or digital work permits, although in Cambodia the Khmer Home Charity will need to liaise with immigration on your behalf. There is also the possibility, not a guarantee, of Cambodian citizenship after five years which is absolutely not found in the Thai rules. Both countries offer income tax reductions, allow family members to be incorporated in the visa – registration fees are not yet clear – and make provision for VIP treatment at airports.

The hunt for the alien wealthy is not new in either country. High-value expats were specifically mentioned in Thailand when then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra introduced the Elite visa in 2003, offering 5-20 year multiple entry and exit. In 2018, the four year hi-tech Smart visa did away with the traditional work permit for holders. Cambodia has a track record of offering citizenship and second passports to foreigners making a donation of around US$300,000, although there are no published figures. The granting of a Cambodian passport to an alien requires the personal approval of the king.

Although neither scheme is yet operational, the most likely candidates for CM2H appear to be influential Chinese investors and business people requiring an overseas base. In Thailand, it is not yet clear if LTR can attract applications from foreigners who choose to reject the much-cheaper Elite visa alternative already in place. As ever of course, the devil will be in the detail.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ent-405935

Jun

Post by Jun »

On the subject of Barry Kenyon articles, this one caught my eye.
https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... era-405873

"Cambodian investor Kevin Quill (right) tells Pattaya Mail correspondent Barry Kenyon about his confidence in Siem Reap’s future."
Is that the guy who was once in the news in Pattaya and on certain forums ? No need to repeat any of it here.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:32 pm
Is that the guy who was once in the news in Pattaya and on certain forums ?
Yes, that's right. You are also right - we definitely are not going to repeat any of it here.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'll say the same thing I've been repeatedly saying for years - so far to no avail. Holiday makers are not the only ones going to Thailand with money in their wallets. I wish the authorities would start considering how much more expats could contribute to Thailand's economy if they would release us from being forced to keep 800,000 baht just sitting there in a Thai bank account. It has to be in the account 5 months out of the year. Even during months when some of it can be spent, the account can never drop below 400,000 baht - and has to be brought back up to 800,000 before the deadline.

Maybe that makes sense to the Thai authorities and maybe even to some reading this, but it makes absolutely no sense whatever to me . . .

Prior holiday visas to visit Thailand are becoming redundant

By Barry Kenyon

August 9, 2022

The Tourist Authority of Thailand is pressurizing the government to allow most vacationing foreigners to visit Thailand for up to three months without obtaining a visa from their local Thai embassy abroad. Visitors from 64 countries (including Brits, Russians, Australians, Americans and most mainland Europeans) are already visa-exempt. They obtain 30 days free-of-charge on arrival which can be extended for a further month at Thai immigration on payment of 1,900 baht. If the Thai Cabinet, as expected, accepts the proposal, these periods would become 45-plus-45 days for a total of three months.

A similar discretion would apply to those from 19 countries (including mega-markets China and India) whose citizens require a visa-on-arrival costing 1,900 baht (US$54) at Thai airports. Currently, they receive only 15 days but would now receive 45 days plus a further 45 days extension. TAT is also proposing abolition of the fee, but this is thought less likely for budgetary reasons. The movement towards 90 day entry without involving embassies in the home country is partly to end visa application delays, but more especially to encourage longer stays and higher spending.

Thai authorities seem determined right now to ease entry for foreigners. Pre-flight and online registration, anti-Covid insurance and even the TM6 address card have all been suspended. Arriving passengers no longer have to fill in any forms, although Ministry of Health officials may conduct random health checks on anyone looking ill. The experience compares favorably with Cambodia, for instance, where all foreigners must fill in a visa application, a health questionnaire and a customs declaration all collected at different desks.

Yuthasak Supasorn, the TAT governor, this week also announced that the 300 baht tourist fee, to be levied on foreigners, would not now be implemented for “one or two years” as the imperative is get tourist numbers up from the doldrums. The tax had been heavily criticized as not worth the hassle. Security expert Colin Ross said Thai authorities had finally realized that form-filling was a poor way of monitoring foreigners. “Computerization of records and tracking people’s GPS location via mobile phones makes a lot more sense,” he said. He added that once virtual passports replace the documentary version, travellers’ identity and biometrics would be stored in a cloud. No need to carry the passport or fear it being stolen. But that’s a few years away yet.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ant-406232

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

45 days on arrival plus an additional 45 days by going to immigration sucks.

1. At the moment I can get a 90 day visa on line in the UK. Takes a few minutes. Charge is similar to the 1900 baht cost at Immigration ......but none of the hassle and the waste of a day.

2. Why not just give everyone 90 days on arrival? Thais, or anyone else, visiting the UK automatically get 6 months. Why not reciprocate?

3. It’s all about the money at the end of the day.