Latest Scam

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Latest Scam

Post by Gaybutton »

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly criminal minds manage to come up with new ways to scam people. Most of you probably know by now that many shopping venues, especially shopping malls, require check-in with use of LINE or manually filling out forms.

Here's what's going on:

Thai Government is warning on fake Thai Chana Covid19 contact tracing websites

By Adam Judd

25 May 2020

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration warned the public this afternoon in both the English and Thai language press conferences around fake Thai Chana ("Victory" in the Thai language) websites being used to gather people’s data.

Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin, the spokesman of the CCSA, stated that the government had got complaints of people being sent links and popups, etc. He clarified that the official Thai Chana website did not do this and did not track personal users purchase history or interfere with their privacy.

He encouraged the public to ensure the link they were following when checking in to a business was legitimate and to report any venues allegedly using a fake or incorrect QR code. He also said businesses should not force require customers to scan their own promotion QR codes to check in that could violate a customers privacy, such as ones that send customers promotions and shopping deals.

In other news, the Ministry of Interior has also ordered all Provincial Governor’s to ensure that all businesses are using the application or providing a manual check in and registration method, not just those who had recently been allowed to reopen. This has led to complaints and confusion on social media about why some venues, like family mart, are now requiring check in when they did not before.

The Pattaya News notes that if one does not want to use the QR code application they can fill out their personal contact information manually.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/25/t ... -websites/
Gaybutton

Re: Latest Scam

Post by Gaybutton »

Fine with me. I can't think of anything I need so desperately that I have to go to a shopping mall or any venue requiring this check-in to find what I want, legitimate or not. Instead of going to a shopping mall under these circumstances, I'd much rather order from places like Lazada, which is often much less expensive and my order is delivered right to my door - and no form of check-in required.

Sorry shopping malls - I know it's not your fault, but I, for one, ain't goin' . . .
travelerjim1

Re: Latest Scam

Post by travelerjim1 »

https://www.facebook.com/18094015192940 ... 479731577/

Beware of fake Thai Chana website

Thailand' s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has warned the public to be careful when using the Thai Chana platform, since there are fake websites using the word "Thai Chana" to scam consumers, usually for the purpose of collecting sensitive information from victims.

The illustration shows the real and fake web address of the Thai Chana platform.

☑️ Real domain names
1. http://www.xn--b3czh8ayeuf.com/
2. www.thaichana.com

🚫 Fake domain names
1. thaichana.pro
2. thai-chana.asia
3. thaichana.asia
4. Any other variations

If you find any other Thai Chana fake websites, please report then directly to the Thai Chana hotline 1119 (24 hour).

Thai Chana is a platform to facilitate safety for both customers and establishments during the spread of COVID-19. The establishments have to register on the website to acquire a QR code and put it in front of their shop. Customers can check in to the stores by scanning the QR code. The Thai Chana platform is now ready for business owners, who may register at www.thaichana.com.

Sources:
1. Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)
2. Anti-Fake News Center Thailand