Pattaya City unveils plans for nine-kilometre monorail

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Pattaya City unveils plans for nine-kilometre monorail

Post by Jun »

Currently one can ride quite a long way on a baht bus for 10 baht -more than the length of the previously published monorail route, although of course the monorail follows a different route.
If the monorail costs up to 45 baht, I presume the locals will mostly carry on using the baht bus, so less reduction in traffic than there could be.

I'd require a reasonable train frequency to use it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:22 pm of course the monorail follows a different route.
I'll worry about all that once it's built and operational and see whether it is truly convenient.

There are other options too, such as taking the monorail to one destination. From there taking a baht bus to another destination, and don't forget the motorbike taxis. There is, of course, one other option - walking . . .

I hope after all the construction inconvenience we're bound to go through and waiting several years before it's ready, I hope it at least truly succeeds. I remember Pattaya's other great idea a few years ago - city buses. Anyone seen any of those buses lately . . . ? I hope nothing similar ends up happening with the monorail. I would hate to see it become Pattaya's mobile white elephant.

In my opinion, the best chance of success for it is to eliminate or at least drastically reduce traffic. If convenient parking is available and high speed rail traffic from Bangkok to Pattaya, which makes stops at a monorail station - and if there are enough monorail cars frequently enough, it could prove to be an effective way of dealing with all the weekend and holiday traffic that clogs the roads with people coming from Bangkok. Almost every time, instead of having an enjoyable time in Pattaya, thousands of people end up stuck in traffic jams for hours, sometimes the entire day. And then, once they actually make it into Pattaya, they can't find anywhere to park. I hope the decision makers with the monorail are taking that into consideration and coming up with sensible plans to deal with it. For people coming in from Bangkok, it might be more expensive to drive cars considering road tolls and fuel usage.

I believe the monorail has the potential to effectively deal with many of Pattaya's traffic problems if it is well thought through and planned well enough. Let's just hope the monorail doesn't break down too often . . .
colmx

Post by colmx »

The monorail – the preferred choice from the original options of a ground-based tram and underground subway – would sit 18 meters above street level with tracks supported by steel-reinforced concrete pillars 1.8 meters wide, requiring minimal land underneath.
18 Meters is the height of a 5-6 story building and must be at least 4 times the height of the KL monorail, the reported height has to be some sort of mistake (maybe they meant 18 feet?)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The article contains no information as to operating hours, fares, or waiting times. I doubt that information would be available yet anyway. Lets hope that by the time the monorail becomes operational at least there will be enough locals and tourists using it.

Pattaya monorail has overwhelming support, city officials say

By Pattaya Mail

August 23, 2020

More than 80 percent of Pattaya residents support a monorail project approved last week and set to begin construction in 2024, city officials said.

Pongtavee Lertpanyawith, head of the consulting team putting together the project’s feasibility and environmental-impact reports, said local response during the first two public hearings was overwhelmingly positive, although there were concerns about adverse traffic effects during construction.

Speaking at an Aug. 20 presentation at the Redemptorist Convention Center, Pattaya, Pongtavee said people were concerned that Second Road already is narrow and building the pillars to support the elevated rail tracks will cause massive congestion.

The monorail sits 18 meters above street level with tracks supported by steel-reinforced concrete pillars 1.8 meters wide, allowing for minimal land expropriation and offering the most-affordable cost of three options considered.

Planners envision three train lines – Green, Purple and Red – that would by 2036 connect East Pattaya, downtown and Jomtien Beach.

The Green Line would run a nine-kilometer route from the Pattaya train station, along Highway 7 to North Road and on to Second Road, then turn off of Thappraya Road and terminate at Bali Hai Pier. The initial cost estimates for this line alone is 21 billion baht, including parking structures and a 40-rai station and shopping mall.

The Purple Line, would be built between 2027 and 2031, would run from Nongprue Subdistrict to a Green Line station at the intersection of Pattaya’s South and Second roads.

The Red Line, serving Jomtien Beach, would be built from 2032-36, running from the Eastern National Indoor National Sports Stadium on Soi Chaiyapruek 2 along Jomtien Second Road to Pattaya Second Road and terminating at the Dolphin roundabout.

Deputy City Manager Kiattisuk Sriwongchai, who chaired the meeting, said inefficient public transport and traffic have been two factors inhibiting proper development of the city. The monorail will go a long way toward solving that, he said.

The monorails will comprise of 3-4 coaches, no more than 52 metres long with a capacity of no less than 500 passengers at 6 persons to one square metre of space.

The monorail begins at the High Speed railway station run along North Pattaya Road, down 2nd Road, then turns off of Thappraya Road and terminates at Bali Hai Pier.

Thirteen stations will be built along the route from the main station to Thappraya junction.

Story, photos, graphics: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... say-312039
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Remember this?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya authorities approve another budget of 1.5 million baht to continue to study tram/monorail project

By Tanakorn Panyadee

26 August, 2022

Pattaya authorities approved another budget of 1.5 million baht from a total budget of 70 million baht to study a tramway/monorail project after it has been postponed by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Pattaya City Council on Friday, August 26th, gave a green light to the allotment of a 1.5 million baht budget to be spent on the tramway project study, according to Mr. Wuttisak Ruamkitjakarn, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya.

The latest budget was drawn from the 70 million baht budget that Pattaya City has dedicated to the study of the tramway project, Wuttisak said. However, the study was hindered by the Covid-19 pandemic and had been put aside for years.

Under a total budget of 70 million baht, the study mainly focused on the tramway’s benefits to the city’s transportation system and its potential environmental effects, Wuttisak revealed. However, the project still lacked certainty on the parking areas, which the city council was debating whether it should be at Soi Siam Country Golf Club or at the Huai Khwang station near Pattaya Floating Market.

The Director of the Pattaya Public Works Department, Montien Chansuk said that the tramway was imperative as it would tremendously facilitate citizens and tourists to get around the city.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/26/p ... l-project/
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Pattaya News wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:35 am The Director of the Pattaya Public Works Department, Montien Chansuk said that the tramway was imperative as it would tremendously facilitate citizens and tourists to get around the city.
So they are now talking about trams OR a monorail ?
A tram system would probably work quite well, IF they prioritise the trams ahead of road traffic & ensure road vehicles do not block the trams. Which is far from certain in Thailand. This should cost less and be easier to use.

Of course, the usual way in Thailand is to design some oversized scheme to give the largest possible construction contract to someone. A monorail probably has more scope for that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:46 pm IF they prioritise the trams ahead of road traffic & ensure road vehicles do not block the trams.
I think the plan is to make it an above ground system.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

High above the floodwaters I hope. Though once you get down to ground level, you'd better have wellington boots on. A tram system could only work if they stoped digging up the damn roads.