Covid 19 Pattaya Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Covid 19 Pattaya Update

Post by Gaybutton » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Jun wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 pm
The experts do not seem to agree on this, although part of it may be wanting to prioritize face mask allocation for healthcare workers.
I'm among those who believe the face masks are essentially useless against a virus, but I see no reason to avoid wearing them even if I am absolutely correct. I don't think they do any harm, but I think most people realize that the same face masks that protect against smog particles are the ones commonly used - and viruses are a little bit smaller than smog particles . . .

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Regular face masks offer some protection to others from small droplets that you may spread, N95 masks will offer you some protections from droplets that others may expel. I had shipped to me some N95 masks from China which I will forward to a close friend and her family in Maryland.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Jun

Post by Jun » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm
viruses are a little bit smaller than smog particles . . .
We also need to think about what the virus is attached to.
If it's floating around on it's own, from what I read it's way too small for a face mask to guarantee it doesn't get in.
However, if it's attached to droplets, the face mask becomes useful.
Also, face masks tend to be measured on removing very high percentages of particles. 95%, 99% etc. Even 50% is better than nothing (maybe -this comment is more speculative for particles the size of a virus ?).

Finally, they are universally recommended for use in hospitals for Coronavirus treatment. So it follows the experts think there is a benefit in some circumstances where the virus is in the air. The only logical reason I can think of for not recommending their use in other circumstances (e.g. on public transport) is down to prioritisation of mask supply for hospitals.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Jun wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm
If it's floating around on it's own, from what I read it's way too small for a face mask to guarantee it doesn't get in.
However, if it's attached to droplets, the face mask becomes useful
Suppose it's both? The part that bothers me is people thinking wearing the masks means they won't get the virus. I see plenty of photos of people disregarding any semblance of social distancing whether they're wearing the masks or not.

As for health care workers in hospitals, have you noticed plenty of them are getting sick too.

As I said, wearing the masks won't hurt anything and I'm not trying to say not to wear them, but people thinking the masks virtually guarantee they won't get sick - that's the part that bothers me.

Jun

Post by Jun » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:21 pm
people thinking the masks virtually guarantee they won't get sick - that's the part that bothers me.
That would bother me as well.

However, if wearing a mask reduces my probability of catching covid by even 30%, then I'm a mask user.

Alternatively, if the mask reduces the quantity of the virus entering my lungs, so my system has more time to adapt and I get a mild or asymptomatic case of Covid, even better. [Note: Whilst I saw such a theory published somewhere, it is AFAIK, completely unproven]

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Your both missing the point! Other than N95 masks you are wearing a mask to protect others from yourself.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Jun wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm
if wearing a mask

if the mask
That's 2 ifs too many for me to feel reassured. As I said, of course I'll wear the mask, but I'm also going to try to keep my distance from other people and do my best to avoid crowds.

Undaunted wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:15 pm
Your both missing the point! Other than N95 masks you are wearing a mask to protect others from yourself.
I haven't missed that point. I'm saying I don't think the masks do much to protect anybody - inhaling or exhaling.

Jun

Post by Jun » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:36 pm

When I go to the grocery store, I wear an FFP3 mask to protect myself AND protect others. What am I missing ?

FFP3 is supposed to be roughly equivalent to N99.

https://www.dental-directory.co.uk/news ... -of-masks/

I did a slightly more detailed look at face masks last year, but cannot find the source at present. Back then PM2.5 protection was my consideration.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:26 pm
Jun wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm
if wearing a mask

if the mask
That's 2 ifs too many for me to feel reassured. As I said, of course I'll wear the mask, but I'm also going to try to keep my distance from other people and do my best to avoid crowds.

Undaunted wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:15 pm
I haven't missed that point. I'm saying I don't think the masks do much to protect anybody - inhaling or exhaling.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands healthcare workers around the globe :!:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands healthcare workers around the globe :!:
Can I limit that to the many families of the healthcare workers who were wearing masks, but still caught the virus anyway and died?