Covid 19 Pattaya Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Covid 19 Pattaya Update

Post by Dodger » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:51 pm

386 people died in road accidents during 7 days of Songkran 2019, and only 47 people have died from Covid-19 in past 90 days since the onslaught of this pandemic. It will be interesting to see how many lives were saved this year. Make of that what you will.

The PM is holding a meeting next week with the top business leaders in Thailand to start carving out plans for lifitng Covid-19 restrictions to allow businesses to reopen across the Kingdom, similar to what Chonburi province has just done. Buriram is in the prcess of doing the same with May 1st being the re-opening date. Apparently the PM's goal is to get things re-started in a few weeks.

Based on the flattening and/or reduction of reported Covid-19 cases in the majority of Thailand, and the position the government is taking, its very plausable that things will start to get back to normal in the May-June timeframe. Not the same, just normal. It doesn't tale a genius to see that the tourist industry, not only in Thailand, but the whole world, will be depressed for years to come.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Pattaya bar workers tested for Coronavirus:
https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... ome-295772
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Jun

Post by Jun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:22 pm
Pattaya bar workers tested for Coronavirus
Do they provide any documented proof of the test results ?
A positive result might imply immunity, although there are some reports of young people having hardly any antibodies, possibly as NK cells have fought off the virus instead. [I claim zero expertise on such matters, so please google it]

Sometime, it might get to the point where a boy with proof of immunity, or alternatively a very recent OK test would be a lower risk date than a random boy.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Jun wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:49 pm
I claim zero expertise on such matters, so please google it
What makes you think anyone with an article Google comes up with knows any more about it than anyone else? I haven't seen anyone in the entire world who can claim to be an expert on this disease - with the exception of Donald Trump, of course . . .

Jun

Post by Jun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm
What makes you think anyone with an article Google comes up with knows any more about it than anyone else?
1 I just didn't want to sound like a smart arse, particularly as I was commenting on something I hadn't even heard of 2 days ago (or had long forgotten, if it was ever in a biology lesson).
On the other hand, a certain small minority claim to have qualifications and experience far beyond what seems possible from the way they write posts & conduct themselves. I prefer to say so when I have chauffeur knowledge (link), rather than real knowledge.

2 I check who is publishing the google results, as I expect you and most other readers do. There are some pretty reliable sources for this NK topic.

https://fs.blog/2015/09/two-types-of-knowledge/

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Chonburi and Pattaya daily Covid-19 Coronavirus update, Two new cases

By Adam Judd

Sunday, 19 April 2020

After three days in a row of zero new cases Chonburi confirmed two new cases of the novel Covid-19 Coronavirus this morning in a press release on their social media page.

The two new cases were both Thai women who were direct very close contacts of a prior confirmed case.

Both women are in the Banglamung area, which is where Pattaya is located.

22 people remain under investigation in Chonburi for the disease overall, the lowest number of possible cases in several weeks.

This comes as Pattaya officials test several hundred people a day in high risk groups at the Grand Bella hotel for signs of the virus. They are specifically testing volunteers, including foreigners, for the disease.

The two positive tests did not come from the Grand Bella and were contact traced from a previous confirmed case. So far, testing of high risk groups have not shown signs of widespread local infection according to Pattaya City officials.

High risk groups being scanned are those who still interact and work with many people, such as taxi drivers, market sellers, Immigration, condo and hotel staff, convienence store workers, etc. Tests have also been performed on residents of condos where positive tests of Covid-19 have been found.

This brings the total of cases in Chonburi to 85. 61 people have fully recovered and been released. There have been two deaths, both foreigners. 22 people remain under treatment.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/19/c ... new-cases/
_________________________________________________________________________________

Medical professor cautions against prematurely claiming COVID-19 is under control in Thailand

By Pattaya Mail

April 19, 2020

Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, has warned it is still too soon to conclude that the country is better controlling the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

The country could make the conclusion only when the number of daily new cases of COVID-19 patients declined continuously for 14 days that was the incubation period of the disease and the number of seriously ill patients did not rise, he said.

Dr. Prasit expected the country could verify at the end of this month if its COVID-19 control was more effective. The government might then ease its disease control measures but would have to maintain a curfew and requirements for people to wear face masks and frequently wash their hands, he said.

Dr. Prasit also said that from April 10 onwards the number of the patients who recovered and were discharged from hospitals was growing more than the number of new patients.

He warned that if everyday life restrictions under the emergency decree to control the disease were eased, people would have to maintain their personal infection prevention including their best attempts to stay home, be 1-2 meters from other people, wear face masks and frequently wash their hands. (TNA)

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus ... and-296156

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 am

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Jun wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:49 pm
I claim zero expertise on such matters, so please google it
What makes you think anyone with an article Google comes up with knows any more about it than anyone else? I haven't seen anyone in the entire world who can claim to be an expert on this disease - with the exception of Donald Trump, of course . . .
Just to clarify: The majority (if not all) of the news articles that get linked to posts on this forum have been obtained by doing a search on the internet. The term "Google It" is commonly used to reference this.

As far as relying on information garnered by people, or groups of people, who were found during a Google search, the World Health Organization (WHO) would be one example which directly pertains to the subject at hand.

Below is a link (Googled) which shows the WHO's COVID-19 Project Team Members. Many, including myself, rely heavily on their expertise in this matter. If you read the credentials of the Team Members you'll understand why I would think they (the experts) know just a tad bit more about this than we do. I'm sure Jun would agree.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/13 ... evelopment

People learn nothing from gossip, rumors, trivial emotional rants, or petty arguments. They learn by taking the cotton out of the ears and sticking it in their mouths, long enough to allow those who have gone before them to show them the way. Dodger: "Walk before you Crawl", 1987:

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 am

Covid 19 April 20 Update

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 am
Covid 19 April 20 Update

These FAB Updates are great!

With 29 0f 33 recent cases all being reported in-and-around Bangkok, that tells me where I won't be going anytime soon...even after they say it's OK.

Overall...Kudo's to Thailand!

Jun

Post by Jun » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Dodger wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 am
Below is a link (Googled) which shows the WHO's COVID-19 Project Team Members. Many, including myself, rely heavily on their expertise in this matter. If you read the credentials of the Team Members you'll understand why I would think they (the experts) know just a tad bit more about this than we do. I'm sure Jun would agree.
I do indeed agree. Good credentials on the WHO project team.

However, for the WHO senior management:

1 They were specifically recommending no restrictions on outbound travel from China for all of January, even though Wuhan was locked down well before the end of the month.
The same WHO people are now recommending travel restrictions all over the world, for billions of people.
I'm not the type to read a couple of articles & claim to be a professor.
However, even as a non-expert, I can see the clear inconsistency in their actions.
They allowed Covid to spread before introducing restrictions. So I think the WHO screwed up there.
They also seem to be politicized and tend to kow tow to the leadership in Beijing, e.g. they don't allow Taiwan to participate. They also don't call out apparent censorship of research into Covid in China.

Including voluntary contributions, the UK is the second highest national contributor to the WHO after the US.
We should review the situation and possibly insist a few people are fired, at an appropriate time.

2 Another area of controversy is over facemasks. The WHO do not recommend the wider population wears these. Asian countries and now an increasing number of western countries are recommending wearing masks, after advice from their own experts.
The experts do not seem to agree on this, although part of it may be wanting to prioritize face mask allocation for healthcare workers.