Jomtien Complex Covid-19 food drive

Anything and everything about Thailand
colmx

Jomtien Complex Covid-19 food drive

Post by colmx »

Cross posted this on Sawatdee - but thoughts some of the members would be interested in this:

I spotted a post earlier on FB regarding a Jomtien Complex Covid-19 food drive

It seems that Sun from Sunbar, the owners of QM2 and a few other business owners along with sponsors have started a food drive to feed the 100s of unemployed Barboys, Massage boys and affiliated businesses in Jomtien complex:

https://www.facebook.com/AsianNeedHelpThailand/

I have no affiliation or connection with the above cause, but thought that it was worthy of some publicity here on the boards

There is also a donation link if anyone wants to donate:

https://www.leetchi.com/c/help-for-give ... en-complex
Up2u

Re: Jomtien Complex Covid-19 food drive

Post by Up2u »

Yupins is one of the sponsors. He(Peter Marsh) has been preparing meals at costs (30 baht). Visit the Yupins FB page, donations are appreciated to help defray the costs of the meals.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This is NO time to start arguing with each other about what is best to do for the boys. I have deleted those kinds of posts and the associated responses and will continue to do so.

If you wish to respond positively to this or if you know of additional places to donate, please feel free to post.

If you want to be negative about it, feel free to do that on somebody else's board, but I won't tolerate it on this board.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thank you colmx for sharing this with us.

It certainly looks like a very worthy cause, and honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen more food drives like this being launched.

If we can enjoy them in the good times - we should care for them in the bad times.

We're all in this together!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am I'm surprised we haven't seen more food drives like this being launched.
Actually there have been additional food offers, but not just for only the gay community, but for anyone who has lost their jobs. I read about one food vendor who has been giving out free food. I think I read about a restaurant or two doing the same thing.

I don't know how long things like this will last, but it is good to know that many Thais are trying to take care of their own.

Some of us are also doing individual things. I'll use myself as an example. I have two Thai boys I like very much and fully trust, one of whom is the boy who helped me so much when I was going through being incapacitated by broken bones after that car accident last year. The other is the boy who trusted me enough to help me by my new car and set up the financing. They helped me when I needed it most. Now it's my turn to help them.

Neither of them are bar boys and never were. They both had legitimate sales jobs, but their place of business has closed until they can reopen once this crisis ends. Meanwhile, now they have no money. I am paying their room rent for them and will continue to do so until they can work and get paid again. I am also taking them to both Makro and Big-C Extra and letting them buy everything they need. I will continue to take care of their food, room rent, other bills, and whatever else they need. It is an expense, but one I am glad to be able to handle for them without doing myself any harm.

I know others are doing similar things. So between these things and food drives, it may not be pleasant for anyone and expensive for some, but the boys and our personal Thai friends are being taken care of as best as we can.

I just hope everyone who can pitch in, will pitch in.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Once again, the best thing you can do for the boys working the bars is to pay their fare home!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 pm Once again, the best thing you can do for the boys working the bars is to pay their fare home!
Ok, this time instead of deleting your post I'm going to leave it in place. In case you hadn't noticed, bus tickets are not being sold and some provinces are not letting anyone in whether they live there or not. By what method do you expect the boys to be able to return home? What do you expect people to do, pay for a chauffeur driven ride home, especially when everybody is being told, "Stay where you are and don't try to travel to your home province."?

Go ahead. Let's see you pay for a boy to return to his home province and then let us know how it goes. In the meantime, if you can't post anything positive about taking care of the boys who are stuck here with no job, no money for food or even a drink of water, and no money for room rent, don't do us any favors with more of these kinds of posts.

Added later: Read the following and then tell us if you still think it's a great idea to try to send these boys home.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ing-crisis
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It is good to see people joining together to help those in need during this crisis.

Pattaya bar owners donate 500 meals to low income residents affected by the coronavirus economic crises

By Jetsada Homklin

April 1, 2020

The owner of two Walking Street bars donated 500 meals to low-income Pattaya residents struggling during the coronavirus pandemic.

Supattra Chonlapol and Brad Rogers, owners of Skyfall a-Go-Go and JP Republic, along with friends passed out 500 boxes of stir-friend chicken with basil and rice meals at the Flybird Market March 30.

Having closed their own bars, putting more than 100 people out of work, they said they’re keenly aware of the hardship that the Covid-19 outbreak has caused and wanted to help the Pattaya community.

Shoppers gratefully received the free meals and thanked the bar owners.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus ... nts-293722
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Does anyone know if similar efforts are taking place in locations other than Pattaya?

Local residents provide 600-800 free meals twice a day in Pattaya, every day, during Covid-19 Crisis…but need your help too

By Adam Judd

Friday, 3 April 2020

Local businessmen and residents have come together to help the needy and hungry in the Pattaya area which has been devastated by the Covid-19 Coronavirus closures. Pattaya is reliant on tourism for nearly eighty percent of its economy and the vast majority of people in the city are out of work. With hotels now being closed and night time curfews stopping night shifts, that number is only getting larger as the situation drags on.

The following is the information on where one can go daily for free meals, served twice a day.

They also need help from those who are willing and able to provide supplies. Please take a look at their notice to The Pattaya News below. They are not interested in being named or having their photos taken, but are interested in reaching out to the hungry and those who can assist the hungry.

Their notice to The Pattaya News follows:
Hi.
We need your help to reach out to hungry people. We are giving out free food everyday, twice a day.

At the moment we are giving free food to at least 600-800 people DAILY. We are following social distance standards and proper hygiene measures.

The meal times are as follows:

Lunch time 2 pm
Dinner time 8 pm

Food pick up Location: Jannat Restaurant Pattaya. Located on Second Road near the Walking Street area, not far from Soi VC and the McDonalds at the corner.

At this time its hard for everyone to survive.

We don’t want our name out there as this is a charity. We are also looking for donations such as rice, oil, eggs or anything edible. Any help is appreciated.

We are doing this to help our local community and hope if you are hungry, you will join us, if you have the ability to help, you can donate. If you are interested in donating please call:

094 415 5130 English speaker.
https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/03/l ... -help-too/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The balloon chasers must be in seventh heaven!