Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:22 am The doctor didn't mention the safest way of all to avoid the virus - stay home and don't go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.
Good point:

People with a cold - "I just want to stay in bed and do nothing, I feel terrible"
People with Corona Virus - "I feel terrible, I think I will go skiing in Austria, visit the Eiffel Tower and maybe do some white water rafting in Camino de Santiago"
Khachornsakdi warned that elevators could become a dangerous place if they were used to move Covid-19 patients. He advised using your foot, shoulder, or back, or calling to other people to open the doors from outside.
Sure, I guess clenching the elevator emergency phone with the cheeks of your ass to make a call for someone on the outside to open the doors would work just great.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Ch 3 just announced from tomorrow April 3 Bangkok will enforce a curfew 10pm to 4 am.

7-11 closing at 10pm.

I've been going to the grocery store late at night when there's very few people shopping and they are restocking the shelves.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:02 pm Ch 3 just announced from tomorrow April 3 Bangkok will enforce a curfew 10pm to 4 am.
It is kind of a de facto curfew anyway, isn't it? With everything closed, where is anybody going in the wee hours?

Pattaya is not under a curfew, but with so many restrictions it's a de facto curfew in Pattaya too. I think the only reason they haven't imposed a curfew is because, again, with everything closed, where is there to go? What's the point of going out during those hours?

The Prime Minister is expected to announce a nationwide curfew tonight. It is expected to be a 10pm to 4am curfew. Curfew or not, the only reason I can see to go out during those hours these days anyway would only be due to an emergency.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:02 pm I've been going to the grocery store late at night when there's very few people shopping and they are restocking the shelves.
Now that's sensible and is exactly in line with my thinking.

The objective of all these lockdowns in China, then Europe, US etc is to stop transmission. So these countries typically have 24 hour strict lockdowns. Or 24 hour lockdowns with people allowed out once per day and a request to keep 2m distance.

Now, in their infinite wisdom, the authorities in Thailand stop people going out only at night, which as far as I know is the best time to go out, as you are less likely to encounter anyone else.

Does anyone know what is the theoretical basis for this night time only curfew ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 pm Does anyone know what is the theoretical basis for this night time only curfew ?
I don't know if this explains it to your satisfaction, but in the article posted here: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 70#p100568

part of it says:
Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, earlier explained the need for a curfew.

"Past measures have slowed the daily number of new infections but still fail to reduce it. From the start, we intend to gradually impose measures, from soft to harsh ones," he said.
Considering the comparatively low numbers of cases and the low number of deaths, seems to me Thailand is doing something right.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:42 pm Considering the comparatively low numbers of cases and the low number of deaths, seems to me Thailand is doing something right.
I agree.

Every country could have reacted sooner, but that's behind us.

I think Thailand has two advantages over the West, and that's the hot tropical climate which the virus hates, and the fact that people are responding better to instructions to isolate. It's like a ghost town over here now, but if you look at videos of Places like San Francisco, Barcelona, Florence, etc., people are still flocking to the stores and beaches like there's nothing going on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am if you look at videos of Places like San Francisco, Barcelona, Florence, etc., people are still flocking to the stores and beaches like there's nothing going on.
Maybe a lot of people are in some sort of denial - similar to that psychological thought about how these things always happen to somebody else. Just remember, to every human on the face of the earth, all 7.7 billion of them, you are somebody else . . .

Another little fact - if you are over 60 years old, now you're older than more than 90% of the entire human population of the planet.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:09 am Another little fact - if you are over 60 years old, now you're older than more than 90% of the entire human population of the planet.
That's heavily skewed by certain countries where they breed like rats and have a much lower median age. Some around 20. As I'm sure we all know.

Most western countries, plus Japan, Thailand & South Korea tend to have median ages in the 35~48 range

Incidentally, here is data from Spain. I strongly presume it has to be showing the proportion of deaths that were in each age bracket, rather than the probability of death by age bracket (the numbers add up to 100 and the probability of death figures in each age bracket from China are very different).
I think there is a fairly strong case for asking over 60's to isolate, plus any over 50s with a health condition, whilst advising the rest of the economy to get on with it. [Exact ages to be set based on detailed data]. That way, you get the herd immunity and don't screw up the economy too badly for the younger generations.

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am if you look at videos of Places like San Francisco, Barcelona, Florence, etc., people are still flocking to the stores and beaches like there's nothing going on.
Really one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted in a long time. Any photos you are looking at had to be taken weeks ago. San Fran is a ghost town! Florence if you are on the streets you go to jail except to shop for food . Barcelona is a complete ghost town as is most of Spain .

San Fran took people off the streets when California issued its stay at home requirements . One of the reasons it has had so few deaths and the whole state is also doing pretty well compared to IDIOT Republican States like Florida and Georgia etc.

NYC of course is in a terrible way most of which was caused by an underground transportation system that moves 90% of the residents . They were slow to shut it down and they are now paying for it.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Dodger wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:08 pm Here's another one showing Madrid and Barcelona in a stadium-packed soccer match a few weeks ago. And if those are 30,000 ghosts filling those seats at the stadium, we have a hell of a lot more to worry about then a virus.
The clip says it was a game played March 1st, when there were (as close as I can reference) 84 cases reported in Spain. On the 8th, 674. On the 14th 6,391. On April 1st, one month later they showed 104,118.

Needless hysteria is rarely helpful, but this is truly coming down to simple common sense, something sadly lacking in far too many nowadays. I tick off three of the "cautionary" boxes: over 65, diabetic and a torso besieged by cancer. I stay inside... I'd like to see Thailand again, and odds of that are better if I don't second guess anyone in a better position to know health precautions than lay people ;)