Visa With 800,000 Baht

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Visa With 800,000 Baht

Post by Gaybutton »

odd wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:12 pm Definition of RECENT---New or just happened. ok gb?!
Have it your way. If you want to argue about it, you'll have to argue by yourself. For me, it's too ridiculous to bother.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Whatever info is available is in this TV thread:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/114819 ... extension/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm Whatever info is available is in this TV thread:
It is also available by asking at immigration. Guess which to use.

I don't understand why this is a problem. Whether Pattaya immigration gave the form requiring 3 month verification or not, just update the bank passbook and go. It took me all of maybe 30 seconds at immigration to comply. Why would anybody try to avoid complying?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Neither do I! Has anyone on this forum been to Jomtien immigration within the last 30 days to renew their 1 year visa with the use of the 800,000 baht in the bank option an if so are you still required to report back 90 days later and show proof that the minimum of 800,000 is still on deposit?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Bob

Post by Bob »

As noted, I too have read that Jomtien is the only office that has required the 3-month-return at times (some have reported not being asked to do this there). Rather irrelevant in one sense as, if they tell you to return, you do and of course you don't bother if they don't.
Speaking of irrelevant to the Pattaya crowd, nobody here in Chiangmai relying on the 800k method is asked to return after 3 months; yet, it remains unclear what our local office will require for renewals (but we're surmising that the only smart thing to do is to show up with 12 months of bank statements along with the usual bank letter).
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:48 pmWhy would anybody try to avoid complying?
It may be a matter of someone simply not being able to comply. Meaning, they had the 800k in the bank when they renewed their visa, but something came up, and some, or all of the 800k, is now gone, placing them in jeopardy of not being approved.

This was one of the reasons I wanted no part of this 800k method.

I have nothing to offer regarding the OP's original question, but agree with the general consensus, that regardless if the IO's are handing out the 90 day report forms or not, the only way to be sure that you're not going to get fucked somewhere down the line, is to report in 90 days.

Chonburi Immigration is notorious for being mavericks. They do things their own way...everything's a mystery...never do the same things twice...and thrive on creating chaos.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 pm It may be a matter of someone simply not being able to comply. Meaning, they had the 800k in the bank when they renewed their visa, but something came up, and some, or all of the 800k, is now gone
In that circumstance, what is the person supposed to do? Simply ignore reporting because enough money is no longer in the account? That doesn't make sense to me. I would think doing that would only make matters worse.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm
Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 pm It may be a matter of someone simply not being able to comply. Meaning, they had the 800k in the bank when they renewed their visa, but something came up, and some, or all of the 800k, is now gone
In that circumstance, what is the person supposed to do? Simply ignore reporting because enough money is no longer in the account? That doesn't make sense to me. I would think doing that would only make matters worse.
I agree, but people in this predicament, and there will be some, would probably be relieved if Chonburi Immigration stopped this verification process like the other immigration offices apparently have.

Personally, as I've been saying since early 2019, this 800k method sucks, and I feel sorry for people who were forced to use it
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm
Nothing to do with compliance. I have been using the 800,000 option since it was offered and when I renewed was told at immigration to come back in 90 days to show 800,000 is still on deposit, at that time immigration told me ok now you can draw down to 400,000 if you want and I took this to mean that 3 months before renewing again I would have to bring the balance back to 800,000. As of yet I’ve not touched the original 800,000. For all intents and purposes this money remained tied up, so if Jomtien only wants to see that the 800,000 in the bank and they no longer want you to come 90 days later to show the money hasn’t been touched you have a 9 month window to use it and if you want to continue using this option 3 months before the next renewal bring the balance back to 800,000, so the question remains whether or not does Jomtien Immigration which apparently is the only one still require you to show the 800,000 remains untouched for 90 days following a renewal?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:13 pm the question remains whether or not does Jomtien Immigration which apparently is the only one still require you to show the 800,000 remains untouched for 90 days following a renewal?
Now it comes down to...how many different answers do you want to your question?

The way you describe your understanding of the process is exactly how it is intended to be used. No confusion there. But if you walked into immigration tomorrow and asked 3 different IO staff if they intended on enforcing the same 90 day report process going forward, get ready to receive 3 different answers. Just looking at The Thai Visa discussion about this shows that no one has the foggiest clue how Chonburi is going to handle this going forward. This being the reality of the situation, you are unfortunately not going to receive a concrete answer to your question from anyone. It's impossible.