Some of you won't like this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Some of you won't like this

Post by Gaybutton »

Nine-day Songkran under consideration

April 11-19 being considered to shore up travel

17 Feb 2020

The government is considering adding two more public holidays during the Songkran festival to bolster the sagging tourism sector, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Monday.

Gen Prayut admitted the nine-day holiday for the Thai New Year celebrations is under consideration but he did not give the timeline for the final call.

"The final decision has not been made yet," he said.

The Songkran holidays are from April 13-15 every year. This year, it starts Monday through Wednesday. When taking into account Saturday and Sunday preceding them, the holiday is five days long.

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak came up with an idea of extending the Songkran period this year to cover Thursday and Friday as well, making it a nine-day holiday (April 11-19). The long period will encourage more people to travel and spend money to give the tourism industry a boost after a sharp drop of tourist numbers from China, he said.

According to his plan, the extra two days are not for free — two public holidays in the second half of the year might be cut to compensate them if the plan is approved.

The Covid-19 epidemic, which started in China in December, is taking its toll on Thai tourism as people avoid travelling around the globe. China has banned tour groups in a bid to contain the virus and the Chinese are Thailand's largest tourist group.

Gen Prayut said the long holiday would help tourism operators.

Tourism accounts for 20% of gross domestic product and creates 2 million jobs.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... sideration
Jun

Post by Jun »

Move holidays forward to a period where the Wuhan flu is almost certain to be a risk.
They are barking mad.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai Prime Minister dismisses idea of extending Songkran Holiday to boost tourism

By Adam Judd

February 18, 2020

The Thai prime minister has dismissed the idea of extending the Songkran Festival holiday to nine days nationwide.

Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said the idea was not brought up at a government cabinet meeting today, Tuesday, and will not be discussed any further.

Gen Prayut said he personally did not agree with a longer Songkran holiday and believes it would not boost domestic tourism that much, as suggested by proponents of the extended holiday.

The idea was to add two more days — Thursday, April 16, and Friday, April 17 — so that the Songkran holiday would run nine days from April 11-19.

The Pattaya News notes that in Pattaya the festival runs for the entire duration traditionally anyways and the proposal would have little effect on the local area.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/02/18/t ... t-tourism/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Unless you are getting around town in a car other than the “Dark Side” in Pattaya the water spraying will begin on the 15th with the most horrible day being the 19th which is the last day, if you are coming to take part in this nightmare you should plan you trip around these dates.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm the most horrible day
To you, horrible. To me, great fun.

And, by the way, last year there was almost no splashing at all until the 18th - with the exception of the drunken farang along 2nd Road near Central Festival, Beach Road, and near Jomtien Complex.

For me, if you're looking for horrible, that distinction goes to the Middle Easterners surrounding Sunee Plaza.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm nightmare
Arguably, a nightmare would be living in Poland in 1939 or Syria now. Choosing to stay in Pattaya for a 4 day water fight cannot be that bad*.
If you don't fancy getting your budgie smugglers and water pistol out to join in, there must be some cheap flights to countries where all fun is banned. Like Iran, Pakistan, Brunei etc.

Even if you stay indoors for 4 days, it has to be better than 2 weeks on a virus infested ship in Yokohama (for example).

*Disclosure: I shall not he here then.
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 pm For me, if you're looking for horrible, that distinction goes to the Middle Easterners surrounding Sunee Plaza.
Any of the Middle Easterners anywhere in Pattaya seem equally obnoxious. I don't like some of them in London either.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 pm
Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm the most horrible day
To you, horrible. To me, great fun.
Lol it is fun for you because you are a spectator from inside your car. :roll:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 pm Lol it is fun for you because you are a spectator from inside your car. :roll:
WRONG!

Every year on the 19th I walk from Soi Korpai, down Pattaya Tai, to Boystown, then turn around and walk back again - and I enjoy every bit of it.

Until then, it doesn't matter if I'm in my car or not because there is never any splashing going on other than where I specified in my post above - and those are areas where I rarely go in the first place - at any time of year.

And zillions of boys either in wet T-shirts or shirtless. You're not going to catch me leaving town, hibernating, or observing from inside my car. I'll be right out there in the thick of it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:34 pm
Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 pm Lol it is fun for you because you are a spectator from inside your car. :roll:
WRONG!
Interesting! So if on the 19th you are walking down Pattaya Tai and a pickup truck Loaded with idiots and a barrel of cold water and one idiot takes a bucket full of water and throws it in your face you will “enjoy every bit of it” :?:
I suppose everyone’s idea of fun is different.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm I suppose everyone’s idea of fun is different.
Yes, you're right. I'd much rather be just like you - escaping Songkran every year, yet posting as if you had even the remotest clue as to what you're talking about - which is obvious to me, who personally experiences it every year, that you don't.

Ok, we've all figured out that you don't like Songkran. Complain about it to your heart's content. You'll complain. I'll enjoy. As I said, I do my "Songkran walk" every year. That cold water in my face that you describe, or anything similar, has never happened.

Don't worry, though. They're not going to extend the holiday and I'm sure Pattaya will cancel all Songkran activities as soon as they realize Undaunted doesn't like it.