Air Quality in Your Home & PM2.5 Air Filters

Anything and everything about Thailand

Please select one. The question is referring to filters capable of removing PM2.5 particles

Poll ended at Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 pm

I do not have a home in Thailand
33%
I have a home in Thailand and have purchased an air filter
33%
I have a home in Thailand and am considering purchasing an air filter
No votes
I have a home in Thailand and have not considered purchasing an air filter
33%

Total votes: 6

Jun

Air Quality in Your Home & PM2.5 Air Filters

Post by Jun »

A poll. Considering the pollution, health implications and easy availability of affordable filters from reputable brands, I'm interested in how people respond.

Perhaps the general air quality discussion can remain on existing threads, with this one limited to discussing what we do about it indoors.
Undaunted

Re: Air Quality in Your Home & PM2.5 Air Filters

Post by Undaunted »

I have one of these in the bedroom that I sleep in and a larger version in the living room kitchen area purchased in Thailand from Lazada.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I think having an air filtration system is a good idea for anyone, but if by chance you plan to make physical contact with a guest in your home, air filtration won't help too much as far as protecting against the coronavirus.

I don't plan on inviting any Chinese, or people who have recently visited China, into my place, and content just leaving the screen doors open with the fresh air flowing like I've always done. If I lived in Bangkok it would be a different story.

The Coronaviruses are a family of viruses, which include Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) which we all know spread sporadically in the past. The coronavirus is very small and measures 0.12 microns, where the SARS and MERS viruses are approximately 0.08 to 0.16 in size. Unless you purchase a home filtration system which is capable of filtering viruses which are this small, you won't get the results you're looking for. The ones used in aircraft, as well as most modern hospitals, have HEPA filters, which stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air, which, according to the experts, are capable of filtering particulate, and viruses, this small with a removal efficiency of 99.99%.

I know if I was going to purchase a unit I would make sure it came equipped with a HEPA filter.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I think the technical case for an air filter is 100% pollution and 0% corona virus. I wasn't intending to imply otherwise.

The pollution over much of Thailand remains very bad. It's just been pushed off the headlines by the virus, which is unfortunate.

https://www.airvisual.com/world-air-quality-ranking
https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya
Jun

Post by Jun »

Pattaya PM2.5 readings this morning (approximate)
Outside 105
In my room 19
In a local coffee shop 50

My room benefits from some filter material which I installed in the aircon unit. I leave the fan on low whilst sleeping.