chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Jun wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:58 pm
In Asia, they wear face masks.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. In Pattaya many are wearing face masks, but most people I've seen are not. And there are still no reported cases in Pattaya.

I think Thailand has relatively few cases because of all the precautions and restrictions, but not because of face masks.

As long as I've lived here, this is the first time I can recall Thailand actually taking proactive action, and as far as I can tell it does seem to be paying in keeping the number of cases low compared to so many other countries. I think we all hope that continues to be the case.

Jun

Post by Jun » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:54 pm

In most of the Asian countries that have had early outbreaks and have established some kind of control, wearing of face masks is much more common than in in the west.
China, Taiwan, S Korea & Japan.
Even in Thailand, when there were outbreaks earlier in the year, perhaps up to 2/3rds of locals were wearing face masks on the MRT. A lower percentage out on the pavement. And it faded away after days of no new case announcements.

This is way more than I have seen wearing masks in London, where it was perhaps <1% on my last visit.

Now I don't know if face masks have anything to do with it either.
However, if certain countries get this under control and others don't, it makes sense to examine ALL of the differences in behaviour.

Incidentally, plotting this on a log scale (as one should for exponential growth), over the last 7 days, the slope of the curve for Thailand has increased and is similar to that for western countries. I wonder what has changed to cause this result ?

Up2u

Post by Up2u » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am

The slope of the curve is unfortunately increasing because of the sources of the infection are foreign sourced, Thai workers returning from Asian and European countries (Italy!). If you click on the the flashing circles, you get more information about that infection.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Up2u wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am
The slope of the curve is unfortunately increasing because of the sources of the infection are foreign sourced, Thai workers returning from Asian and European countries (Italy!).
The Chinese government has 14 day quarantine for people returning to China from many European countries.
Including from countries which are currently an order of magnitude better than Italy.

Not following this policy will only lead to much bigger problems later. It's extreme stupidity.

The Chinese government is using hotels for the quarantine and I expect the Thai government could use some cheap hotels for the same purpose. This is not difficult.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Jun wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm
the Thai government could use some cheap hotels for the same purpose. This is not difficult.
What they could use is not what they do use.

I think it would be difficult. At government operated quarantine facilities it is easy to enforce the quarantine. That might not be so easy at hotels, especially since 14 days is a long time to be virtually imprisoned. They're already having problems with people trying to dodge being quarantined.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:07 pm

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm
I think it would be difficult. At government operated quarantine facilities it is easy to enforce the quarantine. That might not be so easy at hotels, especially since 14 days is a long time to be virtually imprisoned. They're already having problems with people trying to dodge being quarantined.
It might be difficult, but if almost all the cases are imported, quarantining a handful of returning people is going to be way easier than the alternative.

Something like the following should work.

1 Pass the laws
2 Bus all incoming people to designated hotels
3 Put soldiers outside the designated hotels, with a supply of handcuffs
4 Have soldiers arrest anyone who attempts to leave. Handcuff them and take them back to their rooms. Remove handcuffs after 6 hours for first offence, 12 for the second and so on. Or devise some similar sanctions to encourage compliance.