chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 am

gera wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:03 am
if he happens to be virus carrier, for him it is hardly more than mild cold , for you (depending on your age and preconditions) most probably a death sentence.
At least for now, don't forget that there has been no reported cases in Pattaya. Regarding virus carriers, in Pattaya I think the boy has more to fear from a farang holiday maker being a carrier than vice-versa.

gera

Post by gera » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:47 am

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 am
gera wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:03 am
if he happens to be virus carrier, for him it is hardly more than mild cold , for you (depending on your age and preconditions) most probably a death sentence.
At least for now, don't forget that there has been no reported cases in Pattaya. Regarding virus carriers, in Pattaya I think the boy has more to fear from a farang holiday maker being a carrier than vice-versa.
The asymmetry of the situation is that the boy has nothing to fear. If he gets a virus, with overwhelming probability the decease will be very mild.
As for virus in Pattaya , I would stress the word reported. I am not an expert but the hope is that high temperature and sunny whether make a transmission and survivability of the virus diminishing. Overwhelming empirical data indicates that the range 10-14 C produce the most favorable conditions for the virus to spread (Italy, South Korea, Iran). Fortunately, Pattaya well above this range all year around. Having said that, the number of cases in Thailand suddenly start growing rather fast despite the lack of foreign tourists. And, of course, a close contact with a sick person almost guarantee virus transmission (in Thailand or elsewhere).

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 am

Thailand adds U.S.A. And UK to high risk list:

Thailand has added the UK, USA and several other countries to list of countries it regards as being ‘high risk’ due to the ongoing coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic.

On 13 March 2020, at 19.00 Hrs, the Public Health Ministry’s Department of Disease Control updated its list of countries with ‘ongoing local transmission’.

This list now includes Japan, France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the UK and USA.

According to an update posted on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website on 14 March, travellers arriving in Thailand from these countries are expected to “ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days”.

The statement regarding countries with ‘ongoing local transmission’ reads:

Travellers arriving from the countries with ongoing local transmission are required to be under observation (supervision without quarantine) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion.

Travellers must record their own symptoms in the reporting system and monitor their symptoms strictly as required by the MOPH.
The traveller must notify the disease control officer about the places he/she visits so that a surveillance officer can closely monitor his/her movement and contacts.

If a traveller feels sick or suspects that he/she has a fever accompanied by at least one of the symptoms; such as, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and shortness of breath within 14 days of arrival into Thailand, he/she must inform a disease control officer immediately upon the symptoms onset or upon suspecting illness to be tested, treated, clinically diagnosed, isolated or quarantined.

According to the Department of Disease Control, self-monitoring involves: “Body temperature screening twice a day, every day since arriving in Thailand, for a total of 14 days. If you have fever with respiratory symptoms, report to the local health authority”.

Travellers who fail to comply face fines up to 100,000 baht and/or one year in jail.

Meanwhile, as reported previously, travellers from ‘Disease Infected Zones’, such as China – including Hong Kong and Macau, Italy, Iran and South Korea, are required to have a visa prior to entering Thailand.

Travellers from the aforementioned countries also need to provide a medical certificate confirming they are not infected with COVID-19. Failure to provide a ticket will result in them being denied boarding.

Travellers from ‘Disease Infected Zones’ must then undergo a mandatory self-quarantine at their accommodation for 14 days, where their condition will be closely monitored by health officials.

The update from TAT also linked to a Q&A for travellers coming to Thailand: Q&A regarding the Measures for Travellers.

The news comes as Thailand on Saturday announced seven new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of reported cases in the country to 82. The new cases included people who had recently returned from Japan.

https://pattayaone.news/thailand-adds-u ... ravellers/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:15 am

Pattaya One wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 am
If a traveller feels sick or suspects that he/she has a fever accompanied by at least one of the symptoms; such as, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and shortness of breath within 14 days of arrival into Thailand, he/she must inform a disease control officer immediately
Why do these articles never seem to include some of the most important information? I, for one, have no idea who these disease control officers are or how to contact them. Why is that not included in the article?

Until this article, I never knew there was even such a thing as disease control officers. I also have no idea how these officers got their jobs or what qualifications, if any, they had to meet, what kind of training the received and who provided it, what happens next upon contacting them, or even how many of them there are.

Maybe it's just me, but that kind of information seems vaguely important . . .

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 am

"First rule. I don't trust anything the government tells me. Nothing. Never. NOTHING!"
- George Carlin

Especially when the government is run by people such as Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Why on earth would the President of the United States put someone with no experience and no qualification whatsoever in charge of trying to deal with the Corona virus crisis rather than someone who does have the necessary experience and qualifications? The only two reasons I can think of as to why Trump put Pence in charge are because if things get worse, Trump can pass the buck to Pence. The second reason is how Pence kisses Trump's ass and boosts Trump's ego trip. Other than that, putting Pence in charge makes absolutely no sense.

One thing you will never find on Trump's desk is the placard Harry Truman had which said, "The Buck Stops Here".

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:32 am

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:05 pm

India border closure deals another blow to Pattaya tourism

By Jetsada Homklin

March 15, 2020

First the Chinese tourists stopped coming, now Indians travelers facing daunting challenges that likely will drastically reduce their numbers in Pattaya.

The Indian government on March 12 effectively closed its borders to incoming travelers, suspending visas to all nations and even revoking visa-free access to ethnic Indians who are citizens of other countries who hold an Overseas Citizen of India card.

While the government didn’t ban overseas tours or travel, it is discouraging travel abroad. Those who choose to ignore the government’s advice may face mandatory quarantine upon their return depending on countries visited. Airlines also are expected to radically cut flights to India, meaning overseas tourists might not be able to get back easily.

For Pattaya, the move is another major blow to tourism. India is the city’s second biggest market after China, which banned overseas tours in February to control spread of Covid-19.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/in ... ism-291180

Undaunted will definitely need one of these when he sees this news:

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 am
The boys in Pattaya have very little to worry about. The probability of getting Covid is low and if they do get it, they will be somewhere on the left hand side of the graph below.
I believe many of the farang visitors are in the higher risk side of the graph, myself included.

My number one concern is persuading elderly relatives to take precautions to avoid catching this.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Jun wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:27 pm
The boys in Pattaya have very little to worry about.
Very little to worry about? I can't believe you really think that. But if you do, tell that to a bar boy who gets the disease, especially if he got it from a farang.

Do you truly believe getting a disease like this, a disease that is killing people, is no big deal and not all that serious even though they're young and highly likely to survive? Imagine what it is like going through a disease like this even though the chances of survival are quite high. I don't agree with you at all. I think the boys have plenty to worry about. If they have to be hospitalized, where do you think they'll be sent? Most likely a zoo such as Banglamung Hospital. Do you think they'll be placed in a nice private room with plenty of excellent care? They'll have to suffer through the symptoms of the disease. The other boys working in the bar might very well have to go through the 14 day quarantine.

There is much more to this disease than merely the chances of surviving it.

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm

The probability of someone under 30 dying from this is about 0.2%.
The 0.2% is probably heavily skewed towards those with existing conditions.

So, with no cases of Covid 19 reported in Pattaya, the probability of a bar boy in good health catching it and dying from it is extremely low at present.
Worrying is not justified and it's certainly not going to help. Stress merely increases the probability of a problem.

The probability of ME dying from Covid is 7x higher and there has been a death less than 10 miles from my home, so my probability of dying is higher. I'm not worrying about it, but I am taking appropriate precautions (more than advised by the government).
I try hard to cultivate an attitude of not worrying, as it really doesn't help. Understand the risks, take appropriate responses and get on with it.

Bar boys are best advised not to worry about the health risk, but just be sensible and take the right precautions at the right time.

The exception might be those with pre-existing conditions.

A bigger concern is their income stream shutting down for a few months. I guess the ones who have been looking after their expat customers well might be best positioned.