chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:41 am If this virus hits Pattaya, the bars will really struggle.
Along with many other venues. Fortunately, I doubt many of us will come into much physical contact with the Chinese tour groups, especially since their travel ban is now in effect.

I'm not particularly concerned about coming into direct contact with Chinese tourists. In all the years I've live here and with all the tour buses I've seen, I am still clueless about where they take these people. Anywhere I go, I rarely see any of them. Sometimes I see groups of them headed for Pattaya Beach, where I never go in the first place, and I've never seen them at Dongtan Beach. They eat in designated restaurants, none of which I ever go. Wherever the buses take them during the day are places I've already been and have no reason for a repeat visit, or places I have no interest in going in the first place.

At last check I see 7 confirmed cases now reported in Thailand. None have been fatal. 5 have been declared cured and the patients sent home. No cases reported in Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand other than Bangkok and the surrounding vicinity. There was a scare not far south of Pattaya, but that turned out to be a case of the common flu, not the Corona virus.

Those of you planning a trip to Thailand have no reason to postpone or cancel your plans. As long as you practice common sense precautions, which you should do anyway even if this disease had never existed, you're going to be fine and have nothing to worry about.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 pm Those of you planning a trip to Thailand have no reason to postpone or cancel your plans. As long as you practice common sense precautions, which you should do anyway even if this disease had never existed, you're going to be fine and have nothing to worry about.
At least 15,292 people were fatally shot in The United States in 2019, excluding suicides, according to one website I visited. That's nearly 42 a day. So, even though the number of deaths from the new virus is increasing, it hasn't even come close to 42 a day worldwide! I will accept GB's advice and will not postpone my trip to Thailand, which starts tomorrow!!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand confirms six more cases of Chinese Coronavirus

By Adam Judd

January 28, 2020

A Thai health official said more cases of the Chinese Coronavirus have been found among visitors originally from China, bringing the total number of infected patients to 14 cases.

Among the new cases; 1 from Chongqing and the 5 others from Hubei province. Initial reports state all six were from the same tour group. Thai officials stressed that none of the cases spread person to person in Thailand and all were from Chinese visitors. Five of them are from the same family, officials added.

All the new patients are being hospitalized and under observation and quarantine at Bangkok’s Bamrasnaradura Hospital. Thai officials stressed the situation is under control and the public should remain calm.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/28/t ... ronavirus/

Six more coronavirus cases discovered in Thailand

January 28, 2020

Thailand has discovered six more patients infected with the novel coronavirus from China – five from Heibei and one from Chongqing, permanent health secretary Sukhum Karnchanapimai confirmed today (January 28).

The six are under quarantine at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute and awaiting a third lab result.

The first patient from Heibei is a six-year-old child, detected first at an airport. Later, traces of coronavirus were found in four members of his family. The person from Chongqing went to a hospital after suspecting he had contracted the virus.

The recent Wuhan coronavirus situation in China has led to 106 deaths while some 1,500 are severely sick from the infection.

As of Tuesday (January 28), the Chinese government has closed many of its cities and controlled all entry points. They include Guangdong, Hunan, Zhejiang, Hubei (Wuhan is in this province), Tianjin, Anhui, Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Jiangxi, Sichuan, Shandong, Yunnan, Guizhou, Fujian, Hebei, Guangxi, Jiangsu, Hainan, Xinjiang, Henan, Heilongjiang, Gansu, and Liaoning.

Some 3,500 are infected and 6,500 to 14,000 people are being closely monitored.

Outside China, 18 countries have reported 59 cases: 14 in Thailand (5 have recovered, 9 being monitored); 3 in Japan (2 have recovered, 1 being monitored); eight in Hong Kong; seven in Russia; five in Australia; four in Malaysia; three each in South Korea, United States, Singapore and France; two each in Taiwan, Macau and Vietnam; one each in Nepal (recovered), Canada, Cambodia, Germany, and Sri Lanka.

The World Health Organisation is in a meeting to assess the situation in China. WHO recently admitted an error in wording its report as “moderate” for global risk. According to the daily report, the risk is “very high” in China and “high” at the regional level.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/303 ... l_referral
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It remains to be seen whether these measures will prove effective, but at least they're trying.

To me, it seems the most logical way to try to make sure you won't get the virus is to avoid places and areas where people who might be carrying the virus are likely to be. I'm not going to wear a surgical mask, which is unlikely to do much of anything to inhibit the virus anyway, but for the time being I won't be going to any major tourist destinations, spend time in shopping malls unless there is something of vital importance, and do most of my grocery shopping at stores where tourists are less likely to be.

Don't be afraid to go to Sunee Plaza. I was there Sunday night and hardly anyone other than the boys were there while I was. For now, the lack of foreigners in Sunee Plaza might be a good thing. But you won't find me anywhere along Pattaya Beach or Walking Street (where I hardly ever go anyway).

Again, there are still no reports of the virus reaching Pattaya.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Railways, mass transit, THAI, shopping malls boost hygienic measures amid coronavirus anxiety

Jan 28, 2020

Many key transport modes and shopping malls in Thailand have stepped up hygienic measures to combat the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus.

State Railways of Thailand (SRT) acting governor Worawut Mala has ordered all stations, especially Hua Lam Pong, to boost cleaning of all areas.

Among the measures is spraying disinfectant at spots frequently touched or used by passengers, such as toilets, ticket counters, inside passenger trains, seats and hand rails. The SRT has also provided masks to its staff.

Bangkok Expressway and Metro as well as the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand have also vastly strengthened cleaning on the Blue Line and Purple Line mass transit routes.

Thai Airways International president Sumeth Damrongchaitham said the airline has already stepped up a host of hygienic measures on board its planes to ensure passenger confidence.

Meanwhile, retailers are also alert, ramping up preventive measures against the spread of the coronavirus at their branches nationwide.

The measures implemented include providing hand gels at entrances; sanitising points or spots frequently touched or used by shoppers, such as buttons in elevators, faucets and door knobs; spraying disinfectant in elevators and toilets; sanitising shopping baskets and carts; and making sure there is ample supply of liquid soap in the toilets. Retailers have also provided masks to their staff and briefed them on the virus and how to deal with the situation.

Story and photos: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381193

Thai Airways fumigating its planes

January 28, 2020

Thai Airways International has intensified hygiene measures aboard its aircraft to combat the spread of the new coronavirus, including the fumigation of planes arriving from China and other risk areas.

THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham arranged a demonstration of the sanitary measures for reporters at the national airline's hangar at Suvarnabhumi airport in Samut Prakan province on Tuesday.

He elaborated on steps taken to ensure the cleanliness of the airline's aircraft and service, to prevent transmission of the novel coronavirus.

All planes arriving from China and other risk area were sprayed with disinfectant for 15 minutes after the last crew member leaves. Then the planes were fumigated for 30 minutes.

The planes were fitted with high-efficiency particulate air filters. Flight attendants wear face masks and gloves on duty and passengers were not allowed to touch attendants' food-serving utensils, Mr Sumeth said.

Airplane toilets were cleaned frequently during flights and face masks distributed to any passengers with suspicious symptoms, who would then be isolated.

Staff also clean places that passengers regularly touch, including seats and seat pockets and the insides of cabinets. They then seal all garbage bags and clean their hands after completing the cabin clean-up.

Story and photo: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... its-planes
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I went into my local 7/11 last night and all 4 of the staff were wearing masks. Looked absolutely comical, especially as it was highly unlikely that any Chinese would be in there as its in Soi Arab. (Yensabai).
Maybe the staff were right after all..
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

Who would have guessed the Chinese infect the Arabs and would thereafter spread the infection to the rest of the world.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The Prime Minister is personally going to Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to inspect what is being done to prevent the spread of the virus - and that's definitely more than a certain Mr. Trump would ever do.

Major Pattaya tourist attractions, malls and venues increase hygiene measures to help prevent Chinese Coronavirus

By Adam Judd

January 28, 2020

Major local tourist attractions, malls, venues and airports have all majorly increased precautions and hygiene measures to help prevent any potential spread of the Chinese Coronavirus.

Hollywood Pattaya, Nong Nooch Garden, U-Tapao airport, Terminal 21 and more were cleaned for preventative hygiene measures to prevent the spread of the novel Chinese coronavirus.

Staffers at Hollywood Pattaya cleaned every bit of surface in the entire disco and area with disinfectant and alcohol spray. This will be done every two weeks. Toilets and areas where patrons sit and touch items, such as doorknobs, will get daily treatment.

Customers and staffers are also wearing masks to prevent the spread of the infection at Hollywood Disco.

At the popular Nong Nooch Gardens, which is one of the most popular attractions in Pattaya with Chinese tourists, the staff has taken the situation very seriously.

Temperature scanners and a medical check are being used before entering the venue. Complimentary masks are being given to all visitors and they are encouraged to wear them on their visits. All surfaces that people touch on a regular basis are being disinfected. Park management assured customers they are safe and treating staff and customers health with paramount importance. They also stated that due to the amount of trees and fresh air in the park that natural oxygen levels were higher which also help.

At Terminal 21 all staff and retailers have been told to wear preventative masks. The cleaning staff has increased the level and area of disinfectant and cleaning on a daily basis.

At the upcoming Maya music festival this weekend organizers announced the event will continue in official partnership with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, using thermal scanners at entry, handing out masks and denying entry to any one who has recently been to areas of China where the outbreak is serious.

All 7-11 staff have been told to wear surgical masks and regularly disinfect the doors, counters and general sales area.

As of press time, there are no confirmed cases in the Pattaya area.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/28/m ... ronavirus/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:14 pm The Prime Minister is personally going to Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to inspect what is being done to prevent the spread of the virus - and that's definitely more than a certain Mr. Trump would ever do.
Will the PM be accompanied by experts in prevention of disease transmission ?

I wouldn't like to think he's going there purely for PR purposes.
Also, after visiting BKK, why not show up at DMK unannounced ? Then he can do a proper inspection of the real state of things, rather than inspecting the special preparation for his visit.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 pm Will the PM be accompanied by experts in prevention of disease transmission ?
I believe he is sincere. You seem quite cynical about it. I don't believe for a second he's going as some sort of contrived PR stunt. I believe he truly wants to do what can be done to prevent this disease from spreading any further into Thailand than it already has. Why should he not? If nothing else, his visit will make it clear to airport staff that he is paying attention and is going to be on top of it.

If you're going to find him guilty, I'd say let's wait until he at least commits the crime . . .