chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Jun »

I don't think any expertise at all is needed to say this could last 6 months or more.
That's just common sense and the use of the word "could" means it's not a firm prediction.

Also, even if there were zero new cases from now, I guess it would take until mid-April for a majority of cases to clear. So that's already 3.5 months since China declared this to the WHO. As we're likely to have more cases on a daily basis for some time, 6 month+ duration seems likely.

If we consider what might stop the virus spreading ?
1 Hygiene and quarantine measures.
2 A scenario where such a high proportion of the population gave had the virus and either developed immunity or died, that the transmission rate decreases. We are a long way from that.
3 A vaccine

We also don't know Pattaya has zero cases, since Thailand has not been declaring the location of all cases. Regarding the total figures for Thailand, I guess faking it down to zero per day would be difficult, as it only needs people to leak news of cases to discredit that. I haven't seen such leaks.

From the Chinese data, the death rate is heavily age and health dependent. So anyone in a high risk category might want to take extra care if anything does pop up here.
I see China is likely to trial a vaccine in April.

Further afield, we see some cases appearing in Iran and they seem to have no clue at all how it got there. I would have thought there are more Chinese coming to Thailand than Iran ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 am We also don't know Pattaya has zero cases
I did say none have been reported in Pattaya, but I do believe none have been reported because there have been none. I understand suspicion, but I have seen no evidence to support the idea we are being lied to about Pattaya. If there were any cases in Pattaya, it would be difficult to keep it a secret. I haven't even heard any rumors.

So, unless some sort of solid evidence of any cases in Pattaya turns up, I truly believe there have been no cases in Pattaya. At least not yet.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I also believe we are not being lied to about cases in Pattaya.

Thailand has just decided not to inform us where the majority of the cases are. Since they haven't declared the number of cases in Pattaya, it follows they have not lied about that specific issue.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

We should probably apply some caution to this discussion.

The government-controlled Fake News Agency has applied "Censorship" to anything and everything being made public regrading the coronavirus, and two people in Bangkok have already been arrested and jailed for posting their personal comments regarding the virus online.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm We should probably apply some caution to this discussion.
Don't worry. I'm keeping a close eye on it. Believe me, I am not going to permit any posts that could be construed as fake news or comments that could be interpreted as spreading malicious rumors.

However, if you or anyone else believes any posts appearing on this board are a problem, please let me know and I will decide whether to let the post stand or delete it.

The buck stops with me . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai AirAsia cancels flights to South Korea due to Covid-19

Feb 22, 2020

Thai AirAsia X has cancelled all flights to South Korea from March 6-27 due to the Covid-19 virus outbreak.

The airline has offered three options for passengers affected by this cancellation:

➤ Passengers can postpone the travel date on the same route for one time within 30 days from the original schedule without additional costs. However, it will depend on seat availability on the flight and the conditions specified.

➤ Passengers can keep their points in the AirAsia BIG point reward account for travel in future, which must be booked within 90 calendar days from the original schedule. However, passengers can schedule the new travel date after the expiry date if the flight schedule is still available.

➤ Passengers can request a full refund for all flights to and from South Korea.

The airline will inform concerned passengers about the cancellation via email or SMS.

Meanwhile, passengers can request offers via Ava Live Chat at support.airasia.com. In case of booking through a dealer or online travel agent, passengers must proceed with the agent that they had booked with. However, the airline will monitor the situation closely and update information periodically.

Passengers can find the latest updates via Twitter: @AirAsia_Thai and Facebook: facebook.com/airasia. They can contact customer support on Twitter: @AirAsiaSupport, while they can check flight status through “Flight status” on the website: airasia.com.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382635
Jun

Post by Jun »

Two more Thai cases are showing on the Worldmeters site today.

Some details in the Bangkok Post.https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-19-cases

"Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary for health, said the woman was a maid and was initially diagnosed with pneumonia of unknown cause. Later, doctors learned she had a relative who returned from China."

A diagnosis "of pneumonia of unknown cause" strikes me as a very incomplete diagnosis and bordering on negligence in the circumstances. Would it not be normal to ask questions about who they have met AND get a test done immediately?
Unless, of course, there is some other objective.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

.Dow down 1900 points over coronavirus fears:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... e-updates/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:23 am .Dow down 1900 points over coronavirus fears:/
If it drops by a few thousand more, perhaps the PE ratio would be almost reasonable.

Incidentally, I thought the S&P500 was more widely followed, since it has more diversity and is market cap weighted, rather than price weighted.
Perhaps a 1000 point drop in the Dow makes a better newspaper headline, as to the undiscerning reader, it sounds worse than a few hundred off the S&P500.
Jun

Post by Jun »

“Those who are planning to travel abroad in this period, if it’s possible to avoid that, please avoid it,” Mr Anutin said. “We are entering a full war with Covid-19.”
Source:https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... s#cxrecs_s

So Thailand appears to be discouraging outbound tourism ?
But not inbound tourism ?