chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm So Thailand appears to be discouraging outbound tourism ?
But not inbound tourism ?
And not inbound CHINESE!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

South Pattaya during Songkran is plagued with young Arabs largely from Kuwait however, it appears Coronavirus will have another benefit:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... irus-fears
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:54 pm South Pattaya during Songkran is plagued with young Arabs largely from Kuwait however, it appears Coronavirus will have another benefit
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The man in the video Trongpai posted does not seem exactly heartbroken about the lack of Chinese tour groups. I admit neither am I.

I do feel badly, however, for the Thais who must be very worried about how much longer their jobs can last and what they're going to do once they lose those jobs.

I have very little sympathy for the hotel owners who cater almost exclusively to the Chinese tour groups. Apparently they either never heard of or just disregarded the old saying, "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." But if they cater exclusively to one group, that's exactly what they did. While nobody could have anticipated a disaster like the Corona virus, it has happened and none of these hotels seem to have any kind of backup plan in place to deal with the unexpected.

In the video one hotel worker said he expects things to pick up around Songkran. Maybe he's right, but if I were in his position I wouldn't count on it. Even if the situation does improve for the hotels and staff at Songkran, will it improve enough for these people to retain their jobs, retain whatever salary they're being paid, and enough to keep these hotels from ending up bankrupt?

"Time will solve that mystery."
Laurence Olivier (Crassus), 'Spartacus'
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:54 pm South Pattaya during Songkran is plagued with young Arabs largely from Kuwait however, it appears Coronavirus will have another benefit:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... irus-fears
That's great news!

No more Chinese = safer air to breathe...
No more Kuwaiti's = safer on the sois...
And a bigger bang for our buck to boot.
Can't ask for more than that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm sorry that some of what I consider good, such as the better exchange rates, lack of tour buses, and lack of motorbike maniacs around Sunee Plaza, is happening because of the misfortune of others.

I'm wondering if all these travel bans are really doing much to prevent the spread of this disease or merely prolonging the spread - if it's even doing that.

I, for one, will not be traveling to areas - even areas within Thailand - where the disease has been discovered and I will be avoiding crowds as best as I can.

I suppose, if someone asks me what I will do if the disease does eventually show up in Pattaya, my answer would be there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do other than even more of an effort to avoid crowds. If I thought it would do any good, I might wear a face mask, but a virus is so tiny, I believe the face masks are more for people who are kidding themselves than anything else.

Of course, other people might truly appreciate it if my face is not visible. My mirror would appreciate it too . . .
werner99

Post by werner99 »

GB, What do you mean by the 'crowds' that you are avoiding now?

Is it also best to avoid gay bars and gay go go clubs in Bangkok now?

This damn virus has now become a pandemic, and many of my favorite places, South Korea, Japan, and northern Italy, have been seriously affected. I had booked travel to Bangkok for mid March, but now I am considering postponing or canceling my trip,even though I had so much been looking forward to the trip.

It is probably only time before the virus starts infecting the gay bars and clubs in Bangkok and their staff and customers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:08 pm GB, What do you mean by the 'crowds' that you are avoiding now?
I'm staying away from places such as shopping malls, crowded grocery stores, water parks, etc. - places that usually attract large numbers of people where it is not necessary for me to go. If I go grocery shopping, I'll go either very early or very late when the stores are not so crowded or stores that are rarely ever crowded in the first place.

As for the bars, I have no advice for that because I hardly ever go to the bars anymore. You'll have to decide that for yourself. What I do know is whether Bangkok or Pattaya, no one has become ill after going to the bars or taking a boy off and none of the boys have become ill.

Common sense tells me to be cautious, but not so overly cautious that it starts ruining your plans. I see no reason for you to postpone or cancel your plans to go to Thailand. I think that would be ridiculous. You're needlessly frightening yourself. If I thought merely being in Thailand means I'm likely to get the virus, I'd be on the next plane out.

Compared to the number of people in Thailand and the number of cases in Thailand, the odds of you getting the virus are extremely remote, even in crowded areas. I doubt there is any more chance of you getting the virus in Thailand than there would be if you stay home.

The only thing I would suggest you do before your holiday is to make sure you have medical insurance that will fully cover you in Thailand if you fall ill, whether from the virus or anything else.
Jun

Post by Jun »

All other things equal, I would agree that the risk of infection in Thailand is about the same as at home (for certain countries).

However, not everything is equal.
Oh holiday, I visit hotels, coffee shops, restaurants and bars, most of them daily. I almost HAVE to eat out.
I more frequently visit crowded places.

At home, most of my meals and coffee is prepared at home.

The lifestyle changes the risk, not the country. However, I have made no changes to my holiday plans due to Jinping's China Coronavirus.

My risk of infection in Pattaya would be way higher than Gaybutton's, as I am on holiday and am not taking the same precautions.