chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

While it is nice to be free of the tour buses, at least for the time being, I'm wondering if the loss of Chinese customers is going to lead to increased crime. Many local businesses, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. that normally depend on Chinese customers are laying off employees, shutting down entirely, cutting back on work hours and work days, and so on.

That means a large number of people are now without a means of income and it won't be long before desperation for money starts happening when people can't pay their room rent, can't buy food, or much of anything else.

While I do feel badly for people who find themselves in this situation through no fault of their own, it's no fault of ours either. If crime picks up as a result, I don't want to end up a crime victim.

I suggest taking extra precautions while this is going on. I would be very careful about inviting anyone you don't know to your room. I would make sure my valuables and important papers are secure. I would not go out carrying any more cash than necessary. I would be cautious about where and what time I'm using an ATM.

You should pay attention to those things anyway, but I would be particularly careful now.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm I'm wondering if the loss of Chinese customers is going to lead to increased crime.
I wonder how this will effect the crime rate in China.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:50 pm I wonder how this will effect the crime rate in China.
Good point. Unless this disease can be contained, stopped, and things get back to normal - and fast - I think there are going to be many more problems associated with it.

This time when a boy says he doesn't have money to pay for his room, he may be telling the truth.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

To overcome a seriously dwindling income a money boy should try to secure a long time client for at least one week by charging 500b per day, thus ensuring his board and lodging are taken care of, and at the end of it he gets some tips to tide him over until the next client. Somehow he might have to deal with a sore anus or cock or both.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

deanagam wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:58 pm To overcome a seriously dwindling income a money boy should try to secure a long time client for at least one week by charging 500b per day
I doubt most money boys would even think of that. I also think it would be as wrong as it gets for any farang to try to take advantage of the situation and give only 500 baht per day, even if the boy says that amount is acceptable. I hope nobody reading this board would do that.

I have a feeling what will happen if the shortage of customers gets bad enough that some of the boys can't survive, they'll just return to the rice farm and either wait it out at home until the situation improves or won't return at all. For the boys, the customer shortage was bad enough before any of this began. Now it can only get worse before it gets better.

All we can do is hope it won't get bad enough to cause even more gay venues to close. We're just going to have to wait and see how this plays out.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

If things really get bad, and Thailand falls into a recession as some financial experts are predicting, I would imagine some the working boys would lower their expectations a bit just to survive.

500 baht/day (15,000 THB/month) isn't much, but more than most would make busting their asses in a rice field, or doing oil changes in a small motorbike shop back in their home village.

The minute these boys hit the working scene they immediately get spoiled by the easy party life, non-stop socializing with friends, getting drunk (or stoned), laying back on stuffed chairs playing video games, chatting on Facebook, sleeping until noon, watching a few cartoons, and then starting all over again...all for the task of getting naked once in a while and having an orgasm. Such a deal! I'm back up in a village in Isaan right now, and believe me, they don't have it anywhere near as good here, as I'm sure you're aware.

The coronavirus is impacting more than global economies. It's got the potential to have an impact (either positive or negative) on the types of pay-for-sex relationships we're talking about as well. All things considered, it should present a "buyers market". If I was a working boy, with average skills/looks, etc. and saw the decline in customers, and closing of local venues, and someone offering me 500 baht/day, plus room & board and free entertainment, I'd have to give it some thought...as long as he wasn't Chinese.
Jun

Post by Jun »

This might merit a separate thread, if board software permits such editing.
Dodger wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:57 pm If things really get bad, and Thailand falls into a recession as some financial experts are predicting, I would imagine some the working boys would lower their expectations a bit just to survive.
Firstly, the tip expectations. I've had more than one lad ask for 2000 short time on the apps in Bangkok. Some quickly moderate their offer to 1500 and a deal might get done.
I've seen others reply about 3 days later offering 1000, when I'm asleep at 2:00 am. No use if I leave the city next day. That's a seriously half arsed approach.
Even being capable of swiftly agreeing 1000~1500 in Bangkok would probably help trade.

More significantly, the latter paragraph covers how they waste their opportunity. They spend all day on their arses consuming trashy content on their phone. Typically learning nothing of use, although some might see at least enough English language trash to improve their language capability.
Not much sign of continuous learning, self improvement and saving. The kind of behaviour which might help them for the last 50 years or so of their lives, when no one will want to pay them 1000 baht to jump into bed.
Then they are facing something nearer the minimum wage, for a full days work.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Directly on topic, but probably less interesting than Dodger's comments:

No of cases = 28336
Deaths = 565 (1.994%)
Recovered = 1322 (4.7%)

Now the estimated death rate remains at 2%. However, as over 93% of the people infected still have the virus, including those who only had it detected yesterday, it looks like the 2% figure is rather optimistic. It would take a near zero death rate amongst the 93% to keep the death rate to 2%.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:57 pm If things really get bad, and Thailand falls into a recession as some financial experts are predicting, I would imagine some the working boys would lower their expectations a bit just to survive.
I'm sure they would, but that's not the point. The point is whether it would be right for us to take advantage of their misfortune. If I take a boy, he's going to get what I always give. I'm not going to give him less even if I can get away with it.

How things are where he comes from or how he spends his money, his day, or anything else - to me that it totally irrelevant to the amount I should give him and it's none of my business in the first place. I'm not here to pass judgment on how he spends his time or money. And for sure I'm not going to use my evaluation of his life to try to justify giving him so much as one baht less than the standard amounts. If he wastes it, he wastes it. That's his affair, not mine. It is not my place to judge how he spends his time or what he does with his money any more than it is anyone else's business or place to judge what you do with yours.

If someone is taking a boy off for sex, then give him the proper amounts. What he does with it is his business, not anyone else's.

One other thought - since they're Thai, I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing the same thing we've often seen Thai businesses do when they're not making enough money or getting enough customers. They don't lower their prices. They raise them.
Finnseventy

Post by Finnseventy »

I was in pattaya over the new year and found the boys' tip expectations had dropped considerably. This was before the coronavirus but following the steep rise in the baht during 2019.
I kept a note of tips and for what it's worth they were:
1 × 1300
9 x 1000
1 × 600
9 x 500.
In each case the tip was agreed in advance and all but two of the meets were via the apps - Grindr and Hornet.
A number of the 500 baht tips were to a pair of regulars I got to know during the summer low season who were happy to come looking for repeat business.
I haven't come across much reporting of what appears to be a drop in boys expectations tip wise on the forums. However it came up regularly in conversation in the bars at the time.