chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Jun »

Up2u wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am The slope of the curve is unfortunately increasing because of the sources of the infection are foreign sourced, Thai workers returning from Asian and European countries (Italy!).
The Chinese government has 14 day quarantine for people returning to China from many European countries.
Including from countries which are currently an order of magnitude better than Italy.

Not following this policy will only lead to much bigger problems later. It's extreme stupidity.

The Chinese government is using hotels for the quarantine and I expect the Thai government could use some cheap hotels for the same purpose. This is not difficult.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm the Thai government could use some cheap hotels for the same purpose. This is not difficult.
What they could use is not what they do use.

I think it would be difficult. At government operated quarantine facilities it is easy to enforce the quarantine. That might not be so easy at hotels, especially since 14 days is a long time to be virtually imprisoned. They're already having problems with people trying to dodge being quarantined.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm I think it would be difficult. At government operated quarantine facilities it is easy to enforce the quarantine. That might not be so easy at hotels, especially since 14 days is a long time to be virtually imprisoned. They're already having problems with people trying to dodge being quarantined.
It might be difficult, but if almost all the cases are imported, quarantining a handful of returning people is going to be way easier than the alternative.

Something like the following should work.

1 Pass the laws
2 Bus all incoming people to designated hotels
3 Put soldiers outside the designated hotels, with a supply of handcuffs
4 Have soldiers arrest anyone who attempts to leave. Handcuff them and take them back to their rooms. Remove handcuffs after 6 hours for first offence, 12 for the second and so on. Or devise some similar sanctions to encourage compliance.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

News of the virus in Thailand Saturday April 25:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19 ... more-death
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:13 am News of the virus in Thailand Saturday April 25
This is why I will be surprised if the restrictions will be lifted on May 1. I think it's too soon.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

According to the 25 April Update Undaunted posted, the numbers actually look very good if you subtract the 42 people who were just nabbed at the border trying to enter Thailand from Malaysia. By adding these 42 names to the Thai tally of reported cases just skews the numbers. If these 42 people would have passed the border check point and were found inside Thailand that would be a different story.

All indications are that Thailand's numbers are improving and that progress (overall) is commendable.

With only 1 new case reported in Chonburi Province it appears likely that they'll go ahead with allowing some businesses to start reopening on May 1st, but June 1st will probably be the broader reopening.

Buriram Province (where I'm currently hanging my hat) announced its reopening will be next Friday (May 1st). According to the Governor, all businesses, including eat-in restaurants, shopping malls, swimming pools, fitness centers, small businesses etc. will be permitted to reopen. Bars, sports arena's, and nightly entertainment venues will remain closed.

I imagine Chonburi, and the other provinces, will follow a similar protocol if their numbers continue holding and/or improving.

I've had Bangkok in the back of my mind for months. They seem to be in a Brazilian choke-hold right now.