A good idea or a bad one? What do YOU think?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

A good idea or a bad one? What do YOU think?

Post by Gaybutton »

I can see reasons why this would be a good idea, but I can also see reasons why it would be an ill conceived, bad idea. And just to add to the complexity - I can also see why parts of this would be good and parts would be a bad idea.

Let us know what YOU think.

Thai Civilized party leader proposes legal brothels and adult shops to reduce rape

January 16, 2020

Thai Civilized party leader, and member of the House committee studying ways to reduce rape and other sexual violations, Mongkolkit Suksintharanont, has proposed That Thailand should permit regulated and licensed brothels and sex toy shops as a way to address the problem.

The controversial government MP said in his Facebook post on Wednesday that he would raise his proposal with committee members at their first meeting, scheduled to take place yesterday.

Explaining the logic behind his idea, Mongkolkit said that it must be understood that humans, by nature, are born to reproduce. Any laws and cultural norms about sexual activity came later, making humans different from other animals.

He claimed that most rape cases are perpetrated by men to release their sexual tension, noting that the offences are committed in families, in work places among colleagues and in schools among classmates.

Rapes reported to the police are just a fraction of those actually committed, said Mongkolkit.

He claimed that his idea of state-sanctioned brothels and sex shops followed the Swiss model, adding that it would help reduce rape and corruption among officials for their oversight of the lucrative illegal sex trade.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-civil ... duce-rape/
Jun

Re: A good idea or a bad one? What do YOU think?

Post by Jun »

I don't agree with his reasoning.

However, I do think prostitution should be legal, as the state has no business interfering in people's private behaviour.

The state should not ban prostitution, just the same as it has no business banning sex outside marriage or gay sex. As long as 2 adults consent to sex, it is no one else's business.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I think the idea that having brothels will lesson rape cases is laughable however, taking the world’s oldest profession to a level where it would be regulated is a plus.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
pong

Post by pong »

If its ´legal´ or not is for most Thai not relevant at all. The word as such seems to be only on lips of americans. And anyone knows that the availability of places just providing that is so giant here in Thai that it proves this idea is not the source of the rapes.
Of course it wont happen-its a notalkabout issue and it will rob the BiBs from a few trillion of T-money. But was not that guy the superrich massageparlor operator who went in politics?
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

It will not change much Thai authorities ignore the sex industry anyway and do almost nothing to stop it.
For this venturesome proposal of the PM Mongkolkit Suksintharanont it will be probably rejected by the cabinet so don't hold your breath .
Jun

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 pm Of course it wont happen-its a notalkabout issue and it will rob the BiBs from a few trillion of T-money.
A good point. Anyone collecting bribes needs a few things to be illegal.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I agree with Undaunted, that the idea that having brothels will lesson rape cases is laughable.

I agree with ISAC69, that the proposal will never gain committee approval - too much tea money at stake.

I've never once seen the Thais address the root cause of a problem when conjuring up their half-brained solutions, as this is no exception.

I like the idea of legal prostitution, but if they want to reduce rape, they may want to start looking things like; better education for the lower class Thais, drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs (currently there are none), and the corrupt underpinnings of the legal system which allow those with prior convictions to roam free. There are already hundreds, if not thousands of "love shacks" scattered across Thailand, where people can get their sexual releases. Every small town in Thailand has one, and they wouldn't operate any differently if they were legal than they do right now.

Bottom line: Another dumb idea.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

A friend of mine had a long term Thai B/F who would often visit a male only brothel somewhere near Sattahip, I said I would like to go with you sometime he replied it is for Thais only. :evil:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm he replied it is for Thais only.
Maybe he wasn't telling the truth.

If they are considering legalizing prostitution, why does it have to be in brothels? To me it would make much more sense to legalize it, but require prostitutes to have regularly scheduled medical checkups and be issued some sort of photo ID health cards to prove to customers they are healthy and have been recently checked. And if prostitutes have any kind of criminal history, then no card.

With such a system, if I wanted to partake of the services, I'd want to see the card. No card=no customer once it catches on.

If anyone wants to open brothels, fine, but since any fool knows prostitutes are going to ply their trade virtually anywhere - as always, seems to me some sort of registry ought to be enough.

There ought to be ways to easily work out that sort of approach.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:35 pm
Undaunted wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm he replied it is for Thais only.
Maybe he wasn't telling the truth.
I think he maybe was. My understanding is that the tea money for establishments catering to farang is much higher and it just doesn't make economic sense for such places to take the odd, casual, farang customer.