Pattaya's Walking Street - 3 months of construction about to begin

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya's Walking Street - 3 months of construction about to begin

Post by Gaybutton »

I'll ask the same question I've asked about the other projects going on in Pattaya: Why now - during high season? Why wasn't this done during the last low season or postponed until the next low season?

Another item for my "I Don't Get It" list.

Walking Street portion of Pattaya construction set to begin, business owners brace themselves for temporary disruptions

By Adam Judd

January 17, 2020

Business owners are bracing for the Walking Street section of ongoing Pattaya construction projects which is expected to temporarily cause disruptions to the world famous street over the next several months.

The construction project, which will be to install larger drainage pipes to alleviate seasonal flooding and to remove the overhead power and various telecommunication cables and move them underground is set to begin in earnest imminently.

Naris Petcharat, the head of the Walking Street Business Operators Association, told The Pattaya News that the work was originally set with the remainder of the South Pattaya portion of Beach Road during November but city hall officials made the decision to postpone the Walking Street portion until now.

The work is expected to be completed in three months.

Naris told The Pattaya News that business operators would be affected and portions of the street would be under construction but the owners were steeling themselves against potential short term disruptions knowing that in the long term the work is needed.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/17/w ... sruptions/
Jun

Re: Pattaya's Walking Street - 3 months of construction about to begin

Post by Jun »

Would putting in drains during the wet season be fraught with flooding risk, plus a need to pump more water ?

I've seen about 1 hour's rain in 6 weeks travelling around here. So now seems like the perfect time to do drains.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 pm Would putting in drains during the wet season be fraught with flooding risk, plus a need to pump more water ?
The first few months following high season are usually dry. Even when it does rain, there would rarely be enough to hinder the work or cause problems. However, your point is a good one.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It is horrible to think of the inconvenience this will cause the Indian and Chinese tourists :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I saw the works in .Boyztown a year or two ago and felt really sorry for the business’ at the far end (Panorama etc). They must have suffered as access was sometimes virtually impossible. That on a shot Soi only 150 metres long.
I would be really worried if I had a business well down walking street.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Boyztown roadworks didn't stop me visiting the bars, but of course walking down a much longer stretch of dug up road is less appealing.

One more theory. They have been putting in a big drain down the beach road. I'm not sure how far the digging has got to, but any drain parallel to the sea needs to carry on all the way down the beach to a suitable treatment or remote discharge pipe. Emptying into the sea in the middle of the beach makes no sense.
So I guess this is a continuation of the drain they have been installing for some time.

Where this ends up is the interesting part.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:52 pm Where this ends up is the interesting part.
I'm expecting the usual. All this work and when the rains do come, it will be flooding as always - no observable difference at all.

I can't help wondering whose brother-in-law got the contract for this work . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

I meant where the pipe finishes. One would like to think It's to keep excrement and other undesirable stuff from going directly into the sea near the beach.