SiLom Walking Street

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

SiLom Walking Street

Post by Trongpai »

Going on today (first day) and every Sunday-- until? there's a street festival on SiLom Road between SalaDeang and Chongnasi. Food and vendors.

Lots in the Thai press and little in the English press unless I just can't find it.
Jun

Re: SiLom Walking Street

Post by Jun »

This was mentioned in the Bangkok Post.

If I was running Bangkok, I would permanently close 1 lane in each direction and turn it over to pedestrians. It doesn't seem right that the polluters have 3 lanes whilst the pedestrians have a very narrow walkway.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I Thought that it was to be the third Sunday in every month for a while.
Silom road was packed both sides but it didn't seem to make any difference to soi 4 bars which are very busy every night of the week at the moment.
Traffic was allowed back at ten P.M..
@DM

Post by @DM »

A helpful graphic on the three BKK walking streets.

pong

Post by pong »

Yes, its a revival of what was every sunday afternn some years ago, under Abisith and now only 1/month. Have not been and guess it was much of the same if you live a bit longer here in TH. I would propose they make a kind of walkway under the BTS as they have along Siam and Rajprasong. Samesame-weekly along Yaowarat (=chinatwon for most) and traffic around there on early sunday afternn was horrible jammed and even buscrews did not know how to ride the route they used to.
And then Khao Sarn rd chipped in monday eve, as if that street is not (nearly 99,99% ) walking any day all year after 16/17 hrs. with deafening music that seems the sign for a Thai that something REAlly is happening. The BMA did its share and cleaned the whole street with waterguns in the morning and then the eventment crews came in and started building stages etc.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

This is the only reason I sometimes venture to Khao San Road:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well the road in Silom was closed today. I saw static traffic queuing into what is a dead end side street, so presumably signposting is not so clear. Much use of the horn and zero progress.

Having not thought about this much, I was under the misapprehension that a "walking street" might be for some much needed exercise. However, it's the exact opposite as the road is filled with an unbelievable number of food stalls. More of a feeding street than a walking street.

Over at Siam Square, a few side streets normally used by cars are also traffic free & some are filled with stalls.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well eventually they put up barriers to stop drivers going down dead end side streets and lots of police showed up for the main event.

I even saw a bomb squad van. Must be one of the least popular jobs in the force, as I can't imagine suspect packages pay tea money.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Jun wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 pm I even saw a bomb squad van. Must be one of the least popular jobs in the force, as I can't imagine suspect packages pay tea money.
Yesterday was the fourth Sunday in the month so I don't understand why there was a Silom walking street again.
Far less police presence than last Sunday (example no metal detector arches on the Skytrain exits).
The entrance to Soi Convent was surrounded with police, TV crews etc. This was because some politician was expected to visit (yes I do know which one :-) ).