Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Re: Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:29 pm So many avenues on this topic.

I think Trongpai is a little harsh to exclude the Bangkok Soi 6 gogo bars. Since very few of the gay gogo bars anywhere in Thailand have any "go" and are effectively static, I would argue we should count any format with scantily clad lads and a stage as gogo. Then it's consistent. Which gets Bangkok into double figures.

Whilst Bangkok and Pattaya may have a similar number of Gogo bars that’s where any similarity ends.

The Pattaya Gogos are smaller, less full of boys and often bereft of customers. Power Boys in Sunee for example.

Some of the “facilities” in the Pattaya Gogo bars are distinctly non Western. Some are so appalling I wouldn’t even piss in them! Even an up market Gogo like Toyboys has had an unserviceable sink and broken toilet roll holder for at least 5 years. As a result of the former the sit down is always flooded. Have a look next time you are in there. Another unusable facility should I ever have the need.

How their lady customers (and I mean real lady customers) get on in there I have no idea!
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have to say that there's no excuse for poor toilets, but I wouldn't dream of using the traps in a gogo bar anyhow.

I agree on the quality and scale of gogo bars. Bangkok has some larger good quality gogo bars and if we count them all, more of them than Pattaya.
Unfortunately, it tends to cost considerably more in Bangkok. Drinks might be 350 a time or more and the off fee 500 or 600. So I might be spending 1200~1400 for 2 drinks and an off.
Compare with just over 700 in Winner Boys.
Then when tipping your Bangkok bar boy 1500, he's most likely to ask for more. Since they are usually angling for another off on the next visit, the tip cannot be to far out.

To summarize, for anyone content to spend the extra money, Bangkok has a bigger and better gogo bar scene than Pattaya. I compromise and allow myself to spend more in Bangkok, but on shorter stays than in Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 am I have to say that there's no excuse for poor toilets
Doesn't Thailand have health inspectors - I mean the rare ones that actually do their job? I would think such appalling unsanitary facilities would be cause to shut down the venue until they clean it up and make repairs.

ZERO excuse!
Jun

Post by Jun »

I would assume it's one of 3 scenarios:
No inspectors
Inspectors with a completely different expectation to us
Inspectors who are easily bribed

Anyhow, gogo bar toilets are not a major problem. I can either use the urinal or hang on until the next bar.

Where I would like to see some inspection is with all the trip hazards on the pavements. It seems there are no standards at all applied.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 pm
Jun wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 am I have to say that there's no excuse for poor toilets
Doesn't Thailand have health inspectors - I mean the rare ones that actually do their job? I would think such appalling unsanitary facilities would be cause to shut down the venue until they clean it up and make repairs.

ZERO excuse!
This real funny...... :lol:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Of course, if Thailand had a culture of enforcement of official standards and regulations, there would be no gogo bars at all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A very good point.
Then once a business bribes it's way through one non-compliance, perhaps it's easy to add a few more in. Certainly the behaviour will be established.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm Prices as of now and this can change in a flash: Bars 1. and 2. 450 at the door for drinks and the rest 350 and all have off fees at 500.
Flash: Now, Dec 21, 2019 bars 1 and 2, 500B and all the rest 390B, off fee remains 500.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

My opinion is that the reason for the decline, at least for me, is the attitude of the Thai spirit and the farang business owners has changed so much that Thailand is not the Land of Dreams anymore. I remember the first times I arrived, my eyes were in awe of the friendliness and happiness I experienced on my first arrival to Boystown. After over 20 years I still have the money to go to Thailand, that is not the problem, my problem is I just don't feel the magic anymore. Yes I still have a few close thai friends that I really enjoy seeing, but the overall effect is just not there. Just my opinion.
gera

Post by gera »

stkyricesf wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:01 am Thailand is not the Land of Dreams anymore.
Thailand is (and was) known as a Land of Smiles (not Dreams). Big difference!