Dongtan Toilet Open

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Dongtan Toilet Open

Post by Trongpai »

Finally open. 4 seats and 3 standees. Clean and fresh. I’m beside myself with excitement and relief. 5 Baht, no waiting.
Up2u

Re: Dongtan Toilet Open

Post by Up2u »

Yeah. BTW, the beach will be open on Wednesday in December and January.
Jun

Post by Jun »

One would think some decent contractors would have got that job turned over in about 3 days.
In practice, they have been closed for at least 2 years, unless I missed some reopening between trips.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

The last photo is also taken from outside the facility. The view of urinals is what anybody sees who is walking past on the sidewalk ouside. The women's side is similarly unscreened; you will be able to see feet below the level of the partitions there also. Somebody had their head where the sun doesn't shine when they approved the design of these places. And, the Thai people are much more shy than us westerners.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The remodeling of both bathroom huts was completed two years ago, but there was a problem. Previously, there was an open ceiling and air circulated up to a screened vent which runs around below the peak of the roofline, but for some reason the contractor installed a solid gypsum ceiling. No air. Bad stink. So the toilets were never re-opened.

It took them two years to install an (under-sized) electric fan on the back wall.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Based on these posts, I think I'll pay 10 baht and do my peeing elsewhere.

Of course, I could always bring along one of these and take care of myself under a towel. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I thought you only had to walk a few metres to the worlds biggest sewer...
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I don’t know why there’s all these negative reports. I have been using this toilet all week and there’s no bad odor. The vent is working. The place is clean. If you think someone might catch a glimpse of your rod and tackle from the walkway then go in a stall.

Yes, beach open on Wednesday now Jan and Feb. mr Ritt is hopeful that come Feb they will forget the re-enactment of the silly Wednesday closures and it will revert to normal. The vendors also now have more space allotted. A lot more space. Good news
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm If you think someone might catch a glimpse of your rod and tackle from the walkway then go in a stall.
That's the point, isn't it? Toilets where men peeing is perfectly visible to anyone outside to anyone walking by is not my idea of a well thought out, well designed facility. Yes, one can go into a stall for privacy, but to me it seems poorly designed to the extreme that it should even be necessary. After all, if I want an audience, I'll sell tickets . . .
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

You’re really not all that exposed. I was standing in the doorway when I took that photo. The Standees are a little off set from clear walkway viewing.