GBP

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: GBP

Post by Jun »

The only two parties fit to govern were the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives.

However, the PR argument doesn't stand up to close examination, as the Liberals didn't gain seats in constituencies where they have traditionally had strong support to the extent that they have traditionally been number 1 or 2. In some cases, where a marginal seat has been Liberal for most of the last 100 years, the Conservatives still won.

The Liberals failed to make their case. Even I very briefly thought about voting for them for the first time ever, before dismissing the idea and voting as I have in every general election to date. (Postal vote, some time in advance of 12 Dec).
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

pong wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 am Rejoice all thee! Its the merry time. Now that whiteyhaired BoJo has smashed the old red wall somewhere up in the chilly north where they eat pies, both GBP and EUR have gained ground with GBP even breaking the magic 40 boundary-in upward direction. Just wait&see how long this merry times will last.
Not long it seems...down yesterday and today too...now 39.5
Jun

Post by Jun »

The latest factor is Boris apparently insisting the "transition period" does not extend beyond 2020, so giving a perceived risk of no trade deal beyond then.

My view is that's an enlightened negotiating stance, more likely to get a deal done within 12 months and the probability of no deal whatsoever must be below 5%. Thankfully after the lost years under Teresa May, we have people who understand negotiating principles.
gera

Post by gera »

He is not going to get better deal than , say, Canada. And whatever pounds you save on contributions to European budget, will be worthless pile of paper.
gera

Post by gera »

Pound is another 0.5 percent down . Currently 1.2942 usd.
Ways to go further down.