Thai bank debit card changes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Thai bank debit card changes

Post by Up2u »

4 digit or 6 digit PINs; I think we will find the ATM's will know which foreign debit cards require a 4 or 6 digit number. The Krungsri ATM in our condo lobby accepts both my 6 digit Thai ATM card and my 4 digit foreign ATM PIN. No problem.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Incidentally, I understand it is possible to make ATM withdrawals without a card at Kasikorn.

You book the withdrawal on their website and then use your phone to scan a QR code at an ATM machine, or something like that.
Obviously I have not tried this, so anyone who wants to try it should look up the instructions.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm You book the withdrawal on their website and then use your phone to scan a QR code at an ATM machine, or something like that.
Wouldn't it be easier to just go and get the chip card? Besides, ATM withdrawals are certainly not the only uses for the card.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:43 pm Wouldn't it be easier to just go and get the chip card? Besides, ATM withdrawals are certainly not the only uses for the card.
Yes. However if anyone cannot use a card, due to loss or obsolescence, it might be worth a go in an emergency.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:59 pm In my experience, Kasikorn take more than 5 minutes to issue a card. Probably 5 min waiting and over 10 for paperwork. That's still absolutely fine.
I knew it!
I went to the Kasikorn Bank in Pattaya Tai, next to Tukcom this afternoon and all my fears were realised.
Had to queue for 40 minutes before being served. Even though a girl took photocopies of everything while I waited the assistant then went through everything again in great detail.
I was asked to pay a fee of 200 baht as there was less than that in my account. This was for the annual charge which wasn’t even due...I gave up and forked out the 200 and reams of paper followed. Must have signed various bits and copies at least 10 times. Eventually the card appeared and I was sent on my way. Took at least 15 minutes, plus the waiting time. And there were 3 assistants trying their best.
Then I had to go to the other side of the bank and queue again to deposit money into the account. Another 20 mins queuing and a few minutes with the teller. All told an hour and a half!
Of course, had I known about the 200 baht, I would have done this first.
My impression was that all the people in front of me at he first desk were getting new cards, so my advice is this...
Leave it until well after the change date, but ensure you have enough cash to get by. I’m sure that the queues will only get longer as we near the change over date.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 pm Had to queue for 40 minutes before being served.
What time were you there? There are usually no crowds, often no waiting at all, if you go to the bank within 20 minutes of closing time. You might also go to less popular branches.

But you're probably right about the closer to the cut-off date, the more people will be there trying to make the change.

I don't know why you were charged a fee. The change is supposed to be free.
Jun

Post by Jun »

That's the branch I've usually used for new cards or changing the linked mobile phone number.
Has never been 40 minutes. I notice Monday mornings are bad, but suppose you are right about everyone changing cards.

Dumb question. I've had my current Kasikorn card for 2 or 3 years. I presume it's a chip card, as it has the rectangular metallic contacts which were in place on such cards in the UK. Also, I have a 6 digit PIN. Presumably I don't need to change this ?

If there is a queue for depositing cash, I would use the machine outside.
That was my standard way of depositing ALL the cash at the start of trips, until I discovered which Silom branches open until 19:00 or 20:00.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 pm I presume it's a chip card
If your card has something like this, you have the chip card and you don't need to change it.

ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Sorry but I don't understand if I have European credit card (not a Thai one) with 4 digits PIN ,Can I still withdraw money from ATM's in Thailand ?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Yes.