Eat Mangosteen

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Eat Mangosteen

Post by Dodger »

There are two doctors living in my building, one from Salt Lake City in the U.S., and the other form Austria. I was amazed during a conversation we were having back in August at how enthusiastic these two guys were when they started talking about Thailand’s mangosteen’s. They went on-and-on about the significant health benefits of this fruit, highlighting the fact that most foreigners they meet in Thailand (including me) were unaware of the significant health benefits of mangosteen, especially for those over the age of 50.

Mangosteen (Mangkhut) only grows in SE Asia, with Thailand being the largest producer. Many studies are being conducted in the West which apparently show mangosteen as being one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, and highly recommended for people over age 50. Very hard to find in the West –but plentiful in Thailand.

I’ve munched on these things many times over the years, as I’m sure many of you have as well. The boys love them. For those who don’t know, mangosteen have purple colored outer shells, with 4-8 white fruit pellets in the center. Some of the pellets have seeds, some don’t. Unfortunately, the peak season for this fruit lasts from May to August, so you won’t see any appearing at the markets again until after Songkran.

Mangosteen is highly nutritious, rich in powerful antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, promotes weight loss, supports blood sugar control, promotes a healthy immune system, helps maintain healthy skin, and the antioxidant activity is proven to result in anti-inflammatory, anticancer, anti-aging, and ant-diabetic effects.

Pineapples, pomegranates, lemon, bananas, guava, papaya, and berries, are also plentiful in Thailand, many with similar health benefits, but according to the experts, mangosteen is the best.

Mangosteen Pictures:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/mang ... mangosteen
Gaybutton

Re: Eat Mangosteen

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:24 pm Unfortunately, the peak season for this fruit lasts from May to August, so you won’t see any appearing at the markets again until after Songkran.
That is correct for fresh mangosteens (mang-koot in Thai). The good news is several grocery stores sell frozen mangosteens, so you can have them any time. They will not lose their nutritional value by freezing and studies have shown that freezing them will actually increase the antioxidant levels.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm The good news is several grocery stores sell frozen mangosteens, so you can have them any time. They will not lose their nutritional value by freezing and studies have shown that freezing them will actually increase the antioxidant levels.
That never even crossed my mind.

I'm going to see if either Big C or Makro out my way in Bang Saray have these in the frozen section.

Thanks for the tip.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm I'm going to see if either Big C or Makro out my way in Bang Saray have these in the frozen section.
I rarely shop at the Sukhumvit-Pattaya Tai Big-C, but I know Makro carries it.