Police, immigration officers undergo LGBT sensitivity training

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know or can speak about anyone else, but as long as I've lived in Thailand I've never had any problem at all with the police or immigration regarding LGBT rights and I am not aware of anyone who has. There may be plenty of room for improvement among law enforcement officers, but I don't see any occurrence of LGBT persecution. That in itself is one of the reasons I love living in Thailand.

Even the raids that used to so often plague Sunee Plaza - as far as I know none of it had anything to do with LGBT rights. They were after underage workers and drugs, but to me never seemed to be belligerent toward LGBT rights.

As far as I know, there has never been anything similar to Stonewall in Thailand.

By Warapun Jaikusol

November 15, 2019

Police and immigration officers underwent gender-sensitivity training to improve their knowledge of LGBT rights and law-enforcement tactics.
Organized by the United Nation Development Programme, Sisters Foundation and Justice Ministry, the two-day workshop at the D Varee Hotel in Jomtien Beach focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights and protections under the law, as well as proper procedures to deal with both LGBT criminal suspects and complainants.

UNDP representative Rono Mayer led the training, which covered rights, work procedures and human-rights protection. Practical training emphasized human rights with LGBT people, understanding sexuality, sexual identity and gender expression as well as the social problems LGBT people face.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/police ... ing-276229