Requiem For Sunee

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 pm the owner of Doubleshot and The Elephant hotel has emptied the premises and moved out.
Unfortunately I can verify that is correct. My information is he does not plan to reopen.

I think we all knew Sunee Plaza was in trouble long before anyone ever heard of Covid-19. No matter how many go-go bars, beer bars, or anything else involving gay life in Pattaya, none will survive without customer numbers and customer support.

We have no way to be certain as to what will happen. Even when the bars are finally allowed to reopen, we don't know yet what kinds of rules and regulations they will have to abide by - everything ranging from social distancing to the attire the boys are allowed to wear. I'm not even sure Nice Boys and Winner Bar will reopen. I think they both will, but nothing is certain yet.

We're all on wait and see mode. There is nothing any of us can do until we know what the bars will do.

Perhaps this is a good time to remind that my policy on this board is bar owners, any gay venue owners, and any gay-friendly venue owners can advertise on this board as often as they wish, totally free of charge or any obligation to me. Few have ever taken me up on it. Maybe once the bars do reopen, some of the owners might wish to take advantage of that offer.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm
SP55 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 pm the owner of Doubleshot and The Elephant hotel has emptied the premises and moved out.
Unfortunately I can verify that is correct. My information is he does not plan to reopen.
I regularly talk to two of the staff from Doubleshot and they confirm that the owner will actually reopen, but not in Sunee Plaza.

I understand he intends to reopen in Jomtien Complex.

Seems like a good plan to me.
Josan

Post by Josan »

OH, how soon will we have gogo in Jomtien? Everything else is moving there!
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

It is my understanding that Jomtien is not considered an "entertainment zone", thus no gogo bar can be located there because they cannot get a proper license to operate as such. Over the years, there have been a very few open and close (both lady and boy) with the scuttlebutt being either owned by the BIB or paying them off to stay open.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

No gogo bars in Jomtien Complex ...fine by me
Jun

Post by Jun »

2lz2p wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am It is my understanding that Jomtien is not considered an "entertainment zone"
If the cabaret show at The Venue is not supposed to be "entertainment", then what it it ?
I'd love to see their zoning definition that permits that, permits host bars but excludes gogo bars.

There is a girl gogo bar between Jomtien and the beach, on the other side of the road. Also, at least one of the girl bars on the same soi as DD looks suspciously like it may be a gogo. As declared already, this all might be facilitated by pay offs, but I thought the entire sector was operating like that, so what's the difference ?
Perhaps someone in Boyztown has good connections ?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

This is totally hearsay and unverified, but I was told that the reason there are no gogo bars in the complex is because the existing bars had all signed an agreement they would not provide gogo entertainment. It had nothing to do with police or zoning. But, again, only heresay and not verified. Perhaps someone who knows an owner can provide more information.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know why there are no go-go bars in Jomtien Complex any more than anyone else. Over the years I've heard all kinds of reasons, not one of which has ever been reliably verified.

My common sense tells me if go-go bars were allowed in Jomtien Complex, then there would have been go-go bars in Jomtien Complex long ago.

Some of you may remember that it was kinda-sorta tried in the past. When Monty had his place in Jomtien Complex he often, but not all the time, included a little of it in his show. A short-lived bar called Rock Hard also tried it, keeping it out of sight in the back. As I recall there were only 3 boys at a time. It was eventually shut down, but I don't remember whether it was forcibly shut down or the owner simply gave up on it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

You may well be right & unfortunately, the trend in Pattaya has been more towards host bars over the years.

However, rules & policies change. I think Jomtien would be more attractive if there were a few gogo bars. Particularly if Sunee shuts down.

Having said that, ideally I would rather see the gay scene in Boyztown & Sunee, rather than Boyztown and Jomtien.
Simply because it's possible to walk from Boyztown to Sunee and hence stay in a hotel that's close to both. Plus other fine nearby coffee shops etc.
a447

Post by a447 »

I remember Rock Hard. I had some fun with 3 guys behind a curtain there one night.

When I returned on my next trip, it had gone.