Requiem For Sunee

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1941
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Requiem For Sunee

Post by Undaunted » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:19 pm

I have enjoyed Sunee for more years than I care to remember however, it is time to throw in the towel.

During the demise of Sunee, Jomtien Complex has risen from nothing to the center of gay Pattaya. Initially I didn’t care much at all for the complex as most bars had twinks which are not my preference, but the gap has been filled by Cambodian manly boys. There has been some sort of unwritten agreement with the powers-that-be that no gogo bars would be allow to open. Sunee has 3.. Winner for twink lovers.....Nice Boys which has the same crew for ages....and one next to NB which is not worth mentioning.

I met a friend visiting from Ireland for a drink in Sunee he has been coming to Thailand for years and said he couldn’t believe what a sad sight Sunee has become and didn’t see any reason for Sunee to continue and sadly now after so, so many years I must agree.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16385
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 742 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Gaybutton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 am

Jomtien Complex is my preference too, but if Sunee Plaza can hang on through the upcoming high season and if the baht eventually weakens, substantially weakens, I hope Sunee Plaza might make enough of a comeback to continue to survive. As long as Sunee Plaza at least has some go-go bars, I think a chance exists. I hope Sunee Plaza doesn't entirely fade into history.

My recommendation to holiday makers coming to Pattaya is to give all 3 gay venue areas - Boyztown, Sunee Plaza, and Jomtien Complex - a try and decide for themselves where they prefer to be.

If Jomtien Complex ever does allow go-go bars, I think the complex would quickly resemble the Sunee Plaza of old. I don't know why go-go bars are not allowed there, but with the current powers-that-be and this absurd push to make Pattaya a family holiday destination, there is little or no chance we will ever see go-go bars in the complex within the foreseeable future.

However, if it doesn't always have to be go-go bars, I believe Jomtien Complex will be the primary Pattaya destination for gay holiday makers.

Despite the current problems, I still don't know of anywhere else in the world that can hold a candle to Thailand as a gay dream destination.

Dodger
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Dodger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 am

As much as it pains me to say this, gogo bars (gay & str8) are just becoming outdated.

Fortunately, cruising bars are still popular, and, from what I've seen, Jomtien Complex has a lot to offer.

I don't frequent the bar scene anymore and have absolutely no regrets. Why spend my money wondering if a boy will be good or not, when I already know the one I'm with is.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16385
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 742 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Gaybutton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am

Dodger wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 am
As much as it pains me to say this, gogo bars (gay & str8) are just becoming outdated.
Why do you say that? Maybe they are becoming outdated for those of us who live here, but aren't the go-go bars exactly where the holiday makers want to go?

I think the problem is despite what TaT might say, nowhere near as many farang go to Thailand as did before. Propaganda from certain authorities doesn't solve the real problem. I believe if the baht substantially weakens, the bars will all be packed again as they were when a Thailand holiday was a bargain. Now, instead of being a bargain, for many it is just too expensive.

I don't think the demise of so many go-go bars is because people don't like them anymore. I think the cause is not enough customers to sustain the bars. Because of the strength of the baht and the over-regulation of farang, people are choosing not to go to Thailand. And for many who do go to Thailand, they are not spending the way they used to because now the same amount of money they might have spent a few years ago buys so much less.

SP55
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:33 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by SP55 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I disagree with you Undaunted and wont throw in the towel for Sunee quite yet. Winnerboys and Niceboys still manage to entertain me and are attracting customers, and so do 3 of the beer bars there. As for the third gogobar that doesn't need to be mentioned and the rest of the beer bars in Sunee, they are not of interest and will probably fade away completely soon enough.

But I'm still hoping some new Eros/Goodboys-style bar will open again and there are rumours about two different gogobars opening so I am still clutching to hope that there will be some new input of energy and life into the area. Look at the great impact on the whole area that Winnerboys has had. Just one or two more bars like that and Sunee can probably be saved and start attracting customers again.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16385
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 742 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Gaybutton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm

SP55 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm
Sunee can probably be saved and start attracting customers again.
I certainly hope so. All too often it's difficult to realize how much you miss something until it's gone and won't be coming back.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1941
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Undaunted » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

SP55 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm
I'm still hoping some new Eros/Goodboys-style bar will open again and there are rumours about two different gogobars opening so I am still clutching to hope that there will be some new input of energy and life into the area. Look at the great impact on the whole area that Winnerboys has had. Just one or two more bars like that and Sunee can probably be saved and start attracting customers again.
I wouldn’t hold your breath :!: When something dies grief begins in different stages...anger, denial and as for Sunee time for acceptance.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16385
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 742 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Gaybutton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm
as for Sunee time for acceptance.
Sunee Plaza is not totally dead just because you decided it is. Several of my farang friends are still Sunee Plaza regulars and they wouldn't agree with you.

Gay farang coming to Pattaya are still looking for reasonably priced go-go bars and in my opinion, at least regarding the reasonably priced part, even with only a couple go-go bars left, that is what many are looking for.

Before I'm willing to write off Sunee Plaza as history, I'll wait to see what high season brings. And high season is just about to begin.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1941
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Undaunted » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Before I'm willing to write off Sunee Plaza as history, I'll wait to see what high season brings. And high season is just about to begin.
I recall last “high season” in Sunee it never happened what makes you think this one will be better :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Dodger
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: Requiem For Sunee

Post by Dodger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:51 pm

What surprises me is why Madam Sunee hasn't thrown the towel in yet.

Maybe she has Alzheimer's.

Post Reply