Pattaya wants to put a hold on various road construction projects

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya wants to put a hold on various road construction projects

Post by Gaybutton »

As anyone living in Pattaya likely knows, there are road construction, road renovation, drainage, and underground cable projects taking place literally all over town, creating major traffic jams, especially during peak rush hour times, and causing accidents. Just why they decided to do all of these projects now, just before high season, instead of low season when all of them could already have been completed, and do all of them all at the same time goes beyond me. Now they want to put a hold on some of these projects as a means of helping the traffic problems, which means once they complete the projects underway, we then get to cope with new ones.

I agree that these projects are all necessary and overdue, but now? And all happening at the same time? Whose brother-in-law is pocketing fistfuls of money?

I'm digging out my "I Don't Get It" list

Undaunted

Re: Pattaya wants to put a hold on various road construction projects

Post by Undaunted »

This is a fucking nightmare. Add to it the hundreds of Chinese tour buses blocking whole lanes. But as usual surely they will stop these myriads of half finished projects compounding the problem.
“Follow the money”.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:50 pm This is a fucking nightmare.
I disagree. The situation would have to improve to qualify merely as a nightmare.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If Pattaya builds more roads, all they will get is more traffic filling them and more pollution. It's like a 1970s solution. Although, I might make exceptions for intelligently fixing a few junctions.

Road charging, trams & bus lanes would be a better way to go, certainly for the centre. Obviously I'm not qualified to comment on the outskirts.

As an example, it's remarkable how free flowing the roads are in the City of London financial district at 5:30pm on a working day, compared with almost any daylight hour in the busy parts of Pattaya. London has road charging and public transport.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm If Pattaya builds more roads
They are not building “more roads” they are ripping up existing roads.
You cannot equate downtown London with Pattaya. :roll:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 pm They are not building “more roads” they are ripping up existing roads.
Let's not forget Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel - you know, the project that was going to relieve the Sukhumvit traffic problems. Great! Now the traffic problems are even worse than they were before the tunnel was ever built.

It's also much more dangerous in the vicinity of the tunnel - cars trying to switch lanes to get into and out of the tunnel entrance lanes. And then cars trying to switch lanes once they exit the tunnel. Ka-boom!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 pm Let's not forget Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel
Now the northbound left lane going toward Pattaya Klang is under construction, adding to the mayhem. Today they also decided to tear up the middle lane of beach road heading into the city from Jomtien which created total havoc, almost every part of town this side of your side is fucked!

The decision to do these many projects at once is either nefarious or the result of total incompetence.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 pm The decision to do these many projects at once is either nefarious or the result of total incompetence.
Or both. None of these projects look as if they will be completed any time soon. Some of this is even happening on the railroad bypass road. Right now there are not many places one can go in Pattaya, even on "The Dark Side", without encountering this mess.

I suppose one silver lining on the cloud is at least it won't do them any good to stop all the traffic and clear the roads because some VIP wants to come speeding through.

Judging by the usual quality of this kind of work around here, once these projects are completed try to enjoy the roads before they become cratered with potholes . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 am Judging by the usual quality of this kind of work around here, once these projects are completed try to enjoy the roads before they become cratered with potholes . . .
The quality of work will ensure they are fixed again and again, a perfect example is the many many times the same sidewalk in front of Royal Garden on beach road has been torn up to improve drainage.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:27 am The quality of work will ensure they are fixed again and again
Of course. The brother-in-law wants to keep heading for the bank. If all of this nonsense isn't a form of money laundering, what is?

Instead of picking on farang in an absurd attempt to curtail money laundering, maybe the powers-that-be ought to rethink and start checking a little more closely what's going on within the home front . . .