Cigarettes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Re: Cigarettes

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm Trying to shame, "educate", or frighten smokers - it doesn't work.
OK, then what does work?

I don't see any posts that are shaming or frightening smokers. Education and facts are good things. I and undaunted have merely posted some personal experiences with loved ones that were smokers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 pm I and undaunted have merely posted some personal experiences with loved ones that were smokers.
I was speaking in generalities, not necessarily referring to any specific posts on this topic, although the photo Undaunted posted qualifies as an attempt to frighten people.

As for what does work - the only thing I know of that works is the smoker makes up his own mind to quit, or at least try to quit. What others say or do - that never works. I wish it did, but it doesn't. I don't know any smoker who ever quit because of the urging of others or because anyone told about their personal experiences.

Actually those posts are off topic, but I have no problem if people want to post as many urging, photos, stories, experiences, or whatever, as they wish, but does anyone truly believe any of it will convince a smoker to stop smoking? Those tactics don't work with alcoholics either. For many, that seems to have the opposite effect.

"I reckon the best way to get him to do something is to tell him not to do it"
- Arthur Hunnicutt (Bull), 'El Dorado'
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Even though I smoke, I think badgering and shaming those of us who do smoke has a positive effect. I'm sure there are many dinner invites I miss because the host doesn't want to put up with my exiting the table to feed my habit. Also, I'm sure my clothes carry cigarette odors and those sitting next to me can legitimately complain. While health warnings haven't been enough to get me to quit, the social consequences of being a lone smoker in a group are tilting the balance.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 am Even though I smoke, I think badgering and shaming those of us who do smoke has a positive effect.
It doesn't have one on me. I don't see that it has had an effect on you either. None of what you said has driven you to quit smoking or even slow down, has it?

None of that would cause me to quit smoking. If someone wants to refuse to be near me or eat with me, whether because of smoking or any other reason, I'll try to somehow survive the loss. If being a polite smoker or refraining from smoking in their presence isn't good enough, tough shit.

I've had more than one person refuse to have anything to do with me simply because I'm Gaybutton and they don't like the way I run my board. Am I supposed to care? I'm not changing my board policies for anyone and I'm not changing my personal shortcomings for anyone either.

Some want to badger and shame and think they are in a position to do so. I'm not proud of smoking, but I don't feel ashamed either, not any more than they do for their excessive drinking. Maybe I'd be more inclined to pay attention once they're perfect . . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

There are some countries, such as New Zealand and Australia, where the tax on cigs has been raised to an extreme to discourage smoking. I recall the price being in excess of 30 Dollars/pack. I believe it does have an affect.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Perhaps my story is an exception
When I met my Thai partner 11 years ago he was a 25 year old chain smoker.
Like most gay Thai men he was very clothes and appearance conscious
He knew I would like him to stop or cut down on his smoking along with subtle hints that his breath and clothes smelt of smoke.
Approximately 16 months after meeting I managed to get him a UK visitor visa to send 4 months with me in the UK
I was very surprised when he arrived in England and told me he had stopped smoking as he knew I didn't like it and he did not want to make my home smell.
Now he is fanatical against people smoking in bars and restaurants, he really proves the theory about the zeal of ex smokers.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am I don't see that it has had an effect on you either. None of what you said has driven you to quit smoking or even slow down, has it?
Actually the accumulated pressures have made me cut down and seriously considering biting the bullet and quitting. The health issues, social pressure, increasing prices, pressure from my boyfriend, and terrible taste of the new Marlboros have significantly reduced the pleasure I used to get from cigarettes.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

As I said before tobacco addiction is not fully understood. I think it has physiological components that vary by individual like alcoholism which is also an addiction but quite different in several ways. Both can be deadly. Many people can consume moderate amounts of alcohol and not be addicted. Some have said that there's health benefits to a drink or two per day but not more. No one says that about tobacco.

No one is getting self righteous here and badgering anyone. No one should badger anyone.

I wish anyone trying to quit smoking good will, encouragement and good luck.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I first started smoking in the military in 1970 and have enjoyed every single puff since then.

My favorite smoke is the first one in the morning with a cup of coffee, and second favorite being the one I light up after having sex. I smoke a pack a day and don't drink more than two cups of coffee. I have never allowed social pressures or other peoples opinions about smoking bother me in the least, and I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean that sincerely. My only reason for planning to quit now is based on the reality that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" I will suffer the consequences if I don't.

I have had 3 physical examinations in the past two years which included lung ex rays and EKG's. There were no indications of any problems with my lungs and I passed the EKG's with flying colors, which, admittedly, is very fortunate considering how long I've been smoking. I've been exercising routinely for 1-1/2 hours daily for the past 20 years, focus on eating what I need versus what I want, consume only high protein/high nutrient & low fat/low carbohydrate foods, and take additional protein and fiber supplements daily. The last complete physical exam I had was 3 months ago for health insurance reasons, and the doctor wrote "Excellent Health" in the summary section of the report that had to be returned to the insurance company. Maybe it's the fact that I exercise so much. Maybe it's the diet. Maybe it's genetic, or just good luck. Who knows.

Life is full of concerns that we each have to face in our own ways, with health just being one of them. Something interesting that I've observed in human nature is when some people seem compelled to criticize other peoples behaviors, as if this somehow rationalizes their own behaviors. An example, and again I don't intend for this to be sarcastic or insulting to anyone, is when people don't pay any attention to what they eat, rarely, if ever exercise, and consume too much alcohol, and then go on to criticize people who smoke cigarettes, as if the words they hear themselves speaking somehow erase the guilt and inner fears they themselves harbor.

Smoking is bad for anyone's health, no question about it, but I've seen many farang kick the bucket over here in the past 20 years who were simply too young to die because of just flat-out having poor health, and a few who had complications with STD's. Many died from heart attacks, and not one that I can remember smoked cigarettes. Oops... I forgot about the one balcony leaper who I believe appeared in the paper with a cigarette in his mouth on the way down. It would be hard to say that smoking caused his death, but the damned thing didn't break his fall either.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Years back a group of us who were all good friends would eat dinner out each Monday night, we all enjoyed good food, good wine and most of all each others company. The six of us none of which were “Cheap Charlies” would have great times at these dinners and always asked that we got a single bill for our table so it was equally divided and no one took advantage. Two of our group were serious smokers so much so that even in the midst of conversation they would go outside for a cigarette which happened quite frequently during our dinners, after many dinners together we became annoyed but being good friends said nothing.
My friend Ian one of the two smokers had a persistent chest cold he lived in Mosaic so he went to Pattaya City Hospital and after seeing a doctor was told he had bronchitis and was given some pills, his symptoms did not abate so he went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and after an array of tests was told he had stage 4 lung cancer and lived some six months more. The second of the two whose Photo I will post again remains blind and unable to walk after 2 strokes that his cardiologist and neurologist agree it was his years of smoking that shrunk his arteries restricting the flow of blood that caused his strokes.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"