App for 90-day address report, etc. - coming "soon"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

App for 90-day address report, etc. - coming "soon"

Post by Gaybutton »

The article also says, "The app will work just as well for other reporting requirements and will be simple as well as easy to use." If it works, that could also solve the TM30 and TM28 problems.

The article doesn't say how soon this app will be available, but if it really works, it will make life much easier for many of us, especially those who live nowhere near an immigration office and/or end up with long waits to do the simplest things.

I'm optimistic about this one. I'm not holding my breath, but my fingers are crossed.

OSS Foreigner App coming says Thai Government, can do 90 day check in much easier online

By Adam Judd

October 13, 2019

Mr. Pootrakool, Secretary-General at the office of the Prime Minister, said on Wednesday last week that foreigners can use the upcoming app for all immigration reporting. Simply keying in data and uploading a selfie will be the same as visiting the local immigration office and filing forms and paperwork there.

The government point man for resolving the TM30 controversy promised this Wednesday that the new app for immigration reporting for foreigners will soon be online and that it will make expats and foreigners coming to live and work in Thailand feel more welcome.

The app is being developed as part of a wider programme by the Thai government being championed by Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak to make Thai public services more efficient with a focus on delivering a better experience to the Thai public.

The Deputy Secretary-General at the Office of the Prime Minister Kobsak Pootrakool has revealed this week that the new app for immigration reporting is nearing completion. It will be called ‘OSS Foreigner’ and will work on mobile applications.

Can be used for 90-day reporting

The new app will allow expats to also fulfill the 90-day reporting requirement by simply loading it, inputting information and taking a selfie which will be uploaded to the site as well as the required data fields. This will be treated and confirmed by immigration bureau officers the same as a visit to the local office.

The app will work just as well for other reporting requirements and will be simple as well as easy to use.

Plans to digitise all Thai public services by 2022

Dr Kobsak made the announcement as an aside when outlining exciting plans by the Thai Deputy Prime Minister and Economics coordinator to have all Thai government departments digitised by as early as 2022.

Thailand 4.0 still in the government’s sights

Dr Kobsak used the benefits of the new app for expats and foreigners living in Thailand to highlight that the new government approach to IT systems and digitalisation is designed to put Thai people or the end-user at the centre of outcomes delivering smarter and easier to use government services. In this way, new technology empowers the public instead of taking away control.

This has always been a core part of the Thailand 4.0 agenda which despite the government’s economic problems is now more important than ever as Thailand seeks to progress to a higher income economy.

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/10/13/o ... er-online/
Undaunted

Re: App for 90-day address report, etc. - coming "soon"

Post by Undaunted »

Hmmm, I wonder what the Immigration folks think about job security :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 pm Hmmm, I wonder what the Immigration folks think about job security
I think they would want this app to work as much as we would want it to work. Dealing with TM30, TM28, and 90-day address reports is a nuisance for them. Very few farang have ever bothered with the TM30 and TM28, and the 90-day address report lines are usually small. I'm sure the immigration officers who handle those can find plenty of other things to do. Even with this app, the immigration office, at least the one in Pattaya, would still be overcrowded with people there to do other things.

I hope this app works and becomes available very soon. I wouldn't mind at all if the next time I have to go to immigration to submit the 90-day report will be the last time I have to go to immigration for that.

I wonder whether farang on retirement visas who get arrested and put in jail for one crime or another still have to submit a 90-day address report, listing their current address as Klong Prem . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:41 pm I wonder whether farang on retirement visas who get arrested and put in jail for one crime or another still have to submit a 90-day address report, listing their current address as Klong Prem . . .
Obviously, otherwise they face having to pay for overstaying and possibly even being deported :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 pm Obviously, otherwise they face having to pay for overstaying and possibly even being deported :!:
He might also have to submit the TM28. After all, he's been away from home more than 24 hours . . .
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

It will only work if the app was designed by a computer literate 10 year old.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

This would be great if it works. The problem is Thai Immigration has been trying to do this for around 16 years and has not been successful. I recall seeing a counter named "internet 90 day report" at the old Suan Lum location and was puzzled what they did and why it was actually manned by someone reading the newspaper. What was the counter for? If you reported via online why was there a counter? I asked then if I could report on-line and was told yes, but not now, soon. A few years later the counter disappeared.

Then around 4 years ago at the new Bangkok Immigration there was a big push to implement 90 online reporting. I was given a one page instruction sheet on how to log on and fill in the 90 day report. I was told, "don't come back here in person again!" It was a rather convoluted and slow to load form online and I finally got to the last entry and the timer went around and around then stopped, nothing else. So, was I registered or not? 14 days latter no reply. So, I went in person and did the 90 day report on paper and told them the online did not work. I was told it only works with some versions of Internet Explorer and some operating systems, not Apple. Who has ever heard of a simple form web based application only working with "some" browsers and "some" operating systems?

I tried again and again with every device I own and with different browsers and have never hit the right combination that works. Yet, others have told me they have been successful. One I asked what his browser was and what OS he used and he said, what?

So, for now I've given up and go in person and it's not a short wait in Bangkok. There's five 90 day windows, two are for couriers who show up with hundreds of passports for business, many for construction on the transportation networks. Last week I went early and got number 55, not bad. It opens at 8:30 and it takes them 20 to 30 min after opening time to call the first number. I watched with curiosity this matronly lady behind on of the counters first eat two jelly donuts and a cup of one of those sugary Frapo-dapo-whapo whipped cream extra sugar Starbucks drinks. Then around 9am, 30 min after the official opening time, she called her first number after licking the sugar off her fingers. Others were still reading newspapers and chatting among themselves. It was clear to me that they were protecting their jobs and seeing that the process did not move too quickly. Perhaps insuring that they got some overtime too.

It might be easy to make fun of Thai Immigration not having the knowledge to design a simple web based reporting system but then again it might make more sense to say they know how but don't want to endanger their jobs so design something with flaws on purpose. One would think that a simple self-service counter device would be all that's needed for 90 day reporting but automation takes jobs.

Once your number is called it goes quick. There's a barcode and it's all computerized. It's the jelly donuts that slows the process down. Damn those jelly donuts.

gera

Post by gera »

Several years ago I needed to stay in Japan for a prolonged period of time. Here's how it works in Japan. First, the organization that invited me sent me a paper. With the paper I needed to go to Japanese Consulate in Hong Kong ( I happen to be in HK at the time). Got visa the same day. In Japan anybody who stays more than 90 days needs to get an ID card in a local municipality (not in immigration). I applied for the card and got it within a week or so. The only time I needed to go to Immigration was to get a reentry permit. Once one gets the ID card, that's it. No reporting, no TM-like forms etc. And I traveled to Osaka, Kyoto and other places without any kind of reporting. Also went to Korea and back to Tokyo without need of any kind of reporting.

Just to give an idea how it works in civilized countries...
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:57 pm First, the organization that invited me sent me a paper. With the paper I needed to go to Japanese Consulate in Hong Kong
Assuming that paper is relevant to the rest of your experience, what kind of paper was it? Would you have gotten the visa without it?
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm
gera wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:57 pm First, the organization that invited me sent me a paper. With the paper I needed to go to Japanese Consulate in Hong Kong
Assuming that paper is relevant to the rest of your experience, what kind of paper was it? Would you have gotten the visa without it?
No, I would not. I could stay on tourist visa (with US passport) for 90 days. However, everybody who (for whatever reason) gets long-term visa in Japan
goes through the same routine (gets ID card) and subject to the same rules of a prolonged stay.