Dangerous smog levels in Bangkok again

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Dangerous smog levels in Bangkok again

Post by Gaybutton »

Dust pollution surges in greater Bangkok

by Apinya Wipatayotin

September 30, 2019

Fine dust levels breached the safety threshold in greater Bangkok on Monday morning, with the worst air in the city's Bang Kholaem district.

Pralong Damrongthai, director-general of the Pollution Control Department, said the levels of particulate matter of 2.5 microns and less in diameter (PM2.5) were unhealthy in Bangkok's Bang Khen, Bang Kholaem, Bang Khun Thian, Bang Phlad, Bang Rak, Bang Sue, Bangkok Noi, Bung Kum, Chatuchak, Din Daeng, Khlong San, Khlong Toei, Laksi, Pathumwan, Phasi Charoen, Phaya Thai, Samphan Thawong, Sathon, Thon Buri, Wang Thong Lang and Yannawa, districts.

Unsafe levels were also detected in Nonthaburi's Bang Kruai and Pak Kret districts, Pathum Thani's Khlong Luang district, Samut Prakan's Muang and Phra Pradaeng districts, Samut Sakhnon's Krathum Baen and Muang districts, and Nakhon Pathom's Muang district.

The levels of fine dust were rising in almost all these areas, up from Sunday's readings, Mr Pralong said.

He attributed the pollution to stagnant air during a seasonal transition period and lower rainfall.

He warned vulnerable groups of people to stay indoors or wear face masks if they must go out for a long period. He in particular referred to young children, pregnant women, the elderly and those with chronic diseases.

The worst level of PM 2.5 pollution was reported in Bangkok's Bang Kholaem district, with measured level of 78 microgrammes per cubic metre of air in the past 24 hours. The safe threshold in Thailand is 50mg, which is higher than the recognised safe level in many countries.

Bangkok ranked third for pollution globally among major cities about 9.45am, according to data from monitoring site AQI.

Prime Minster Prayuth Chan-Ocha used tweets to advise people to don masks if they plan to spend time outside, and asked factories and building sites to cooperate by curbing smoke and dust.

Pollution spikes caused by industrial emissions, construction, crop burning and vehicle fumes have rattled Thailand in recent years. The smog was one of the top trending items in the country on Twitter, underlining growing concern as officials struggle to control the problem.

Southeast Asia in the past few weeks suffered from poor air quality caused by Indonesian forest fires, but hot-spots there have dwindled.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... er-bangkok

Bangkok enshrouded in toxic air

September 30, 2019

An unhealthy level of air pollution covered 14 areas of Greater Bangkok on Monday morning, according to the Pollution Control Department due to particulate matter smaller than 2.5 micrometres (PM2.5).

Bangkok residents woke up to see a cloud of small dust in the heart of the capital, including Pathum Wan, Din Daeng, and sections of Lat Phra road.

Levels of 42-66 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m3) were found in 14 areas. Thailand’s official safety limit is 50µg/m3, double the World Health Organisation’s 25µg/m3.

Bangkok was also ranked the second highest after Hanoi on Monday for the pollution, according to the air quality and pollution city ranking as reported by airvisual.com.

The Pollution Control Department reported high air pollution counts in the following areas: Kanchanaphisek Rd Bang Khun Thian Bangkok, Rama IV Rd. Khet Pathum Wan Bangkok, Intarapitak Rd. Khet Thon Buri Bangkok, Lat Phrao Rd. Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok, Din Daeng Rd. Khet Din Daeng Bangkok, Pubpla Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok, Mueang Nakhon Pathom, Bang Krua Bang Kruai Nonthaburi, Bang Phut Pak Kret Nonthaburi, Khlong Nueng Khlong Luang Pathum Thani, Song Kanong Phra Pradaeng Samut Prakan, Pak Nam Meuang Samut Prakan, Om Noi Krathum Baen Samut Sakhon and Maha Chai Mueang Samut Sakhon.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376881

Mask On: PM2.5 Smog Returns to Bangkok

By Tappanai Boonbandit

September 30, 2019

BANGKOK — Mask on, it’s not fog. The capital on Monday morning found itself ranked as the second most polluted city in the world, according to an independent monitoring service.

Bangkok was only behind Hanoi, Vietnam this morning as the most polluted city in the world, according to data from AirVisual. The air quality was indexed at 175 on Monday 10.12am, which is considered “unhealthy.”

The crowd-sourced air monitoring service obtained the average air quality index from more than 30 privately-operated stations across the capital. Thailand’s official data offered a much gentle figure, but it still found 33 areas to be blanketed with harmful amount of particulate matter, or PM 2.5.

According to the Pollution Control Department, areas found to have exceeding amount of PM 2.5 than the safety threshold of 50 micrograms per cubic metre are: Bang Khun Thian, Pathum Wan, Thonburi, Wang Thonglang, Din Daeng, Samphanthawong, Phayathai, Bang Rak, Sathon, Bang Kho Laem, Yannawa, Chatuchak, Khlong San, Bangkok Noi, Phasi Charoen, Khlong Toei, Bang Sue, Lak Si, Bang Khen, Bueng Kum, and Bang Phlat.

Air in some parts of the surrounding provinces including Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, and Nakhon Pathom are also found to be enshrouded in toxic dust.

The department’s director-general Pralong Damrongchai said the poor air quality is caused by winds and high humidity during the transition of seasons, which suppresses the particles lower near the surface.

He advised children, seniors, and those with respiratory diseases to stay indoors and wear N95-rated masks as a precautionary measure. The government also asked citizens to refrain from setting outdoor fire and use public transportation to mitigate the pollution.

Social media is also filled with anecdotal reports and complaints of the “airpocalypse” this morning, with hashtag #PM25 rose to the top trending in Thai Twitter.

“It comes back, what a great day,” user @keroroplew tweeted.

“I have seen it for 2-3 days already, now I understand why I have a sore throat and runny nose,” another user @aaky_w tweeted.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... o-bangkok/
Jun

Re: Dangerous smog levels in Bangkok again

Post by Jun »

Have the authorities done anything tangible to reduce pollution at source ?
I imagine not, in which case they get what they deserve.

I've got an FP3 face mask for use in the worst areas on the next trip.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:16 pm Dust pollution surges in greater Bangkok

Bangkok was only behind Hanoi, Vietnam this morning as the most polluted city in the world, according to data from AirVisual. The air quality was indexed at 175 on Monday 10.12am, which is considered “unhealthy.”
Many cities in the Chinese mainland have levels much higher. Beijing, for example, sometimes has pollution levels of 200, 300 or even higher on some days. At least the Thai authorities seem to realize that such pollution levels pose a serious health risk.
Jun

Post by Jun »

werner99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm Many cities in the Chinese mainland have levels much higher. Beijing, for example, sometimes has pollution levels of 200, 300 or even higher on some days. At least the Thai authorities seem to realize that such pollution levels pose a serious health risk.
I agree that China has worse pollution, but as far as I can see, China HAS recognised this problem and is taking a few measures to improve the situation.

On the other hand, I haven't seen reports of any serious measures taken to significantly reduce pollution in Thailand. Perhaps I've missed it, but in that case, no doubt someone will enlighten me. They were talking about Euro 6 emissions limits for cars, but that's not enough and I'm not quite sure if it got ratified.

There are more reports of action in in China:
https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/s ... -pollution
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/node_1104661.htm
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution

In comparison, I believe Thailand has done next to nothing since the crises earlier in the year.
No doubt the trucks will soon be out spraying water in Bangkok, which is mainly for show and probably only marginally better than getting monks to pray for an improvement. [I'm saying that as someone who is strongly aetheist]