Chiang Mai Advice

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Chiang Mai Advice

Post by Dodger »

I know there's been numerous posts about places to stay in Chiang Mai, but things change so fast.

My boyfriend (partner, manfriend, soul mate, boy toy, or whatever suits you) and I plan to take a one week trip to Chiang Mai later in October

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding gay friendly lodging, best area(s) to stay, etc. Also, we really want to ride the train in one of those sleeper booths I've been hearing about for years, and plan to start our one week trek at the train station in Bangkok (whichever one that is).

The 3 popular areas which I see on-line are city centre / Old Town, Nimmanhaemin Road, and the Night Bazaar / Ping River.

I haven't the foggiest clue which area to pick.

Thanks in advance.
Undaunted

Re: Chiang Mai Advice

Post by Undaunted »

Check out on Agoda “The Small Hotel” near the Night Bazaar it is a small boutique hotel about 1100 per night. What will you do for a whole week in Chiangmai?

Here is a link for The Small Hotel....https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/th ... 0xMC0wMVIA

Here is also a link to an excellent Chinese restaurant in CM...http://www.jiarestaurant.com/

Here a beautiful and not expensive restaurant in CM which offers northern Thai food which is nothing like Issan food....White House Restaurant

154 Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd, Wat Ket, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50300
053 244 449
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

My partner/boyfriend and I have stayed at Bed Phrasingh Hotel in Chiang Mai
We enjoyed our stay, it isn't expensive and has a good vibe with, when we were there, a nice mix of guests from around the world who were encouraged to chat as breakfast was at a large communal table.
We felt very comfortable there but I guess it's not the kind of place you would want to be taking a different boy every night.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... g_Mai.html

While you are up there perhaps spend one or two nights in Chiang Rai and visit the White Temple and Black House and at least to say you have been The Golden Triangle.
In Chiang Mai I'm sure you will visit the temple at Doi Suthep, when you have visited the temple continue up the mountain road to the ethnic village and gardens.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Although I never stayed there, I have friends who have always raved about it . You may be too late because it is very popular but I'm sure you would be happy.

https://www.pjs-place.com
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:26 pm Check out on Agoda “The Small Hotel” near the Night Bazaar it is a small boutique hotel about 1100 per night.
Thanks for the advice and links.

The Small Hotel looks nice and it's close to the Night Bazaar which should work well.

No sure if we'll spend the whole week in CM and may bounce around a bit. I'm just now piecing this together.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thanks traveller123, firecat69 and Undaunted for your suggestions.

Now you've got me thinking about maybe spending a few days in Chiang Rai as well.

I made a trip up there years ago, but drank so much with the boy I was with, that the only thing I remember is waking up in a shack somewhere along the river with two naked boys sleeping on the floor, and the other laying next to me in bed holding a half-empty bottle of 100 Pipers.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I once tried a sleeper train in Turkey.
I had my own compartment, which looks better than the photos of Thai sleeper trains. Even so, it was difficult to sleep with train movement, a bed that was barely long enough and not so comfortable. When returning, I took a plane.

Next time I visit Chiang Mai, it will probably be a daytime train in one direction, with one or more 1~3 day stops en-route, to break the trip up and maximize sightseeing opportunities. Then either returning by plane or some more circular route, offering more sightseeing.

Next time I use a sleeper train, I will take something to help sleeping.

However, I hope to read positive reports of your trip. :)
Dodger wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:42 pm I made a trip up there years ago, but drank so much with the boy I was with, that the only thing I remember is waking up in a shack somewhere along the river with two naked boys sleeping on the floor, and the other laying next to me in bed holding a half-empty bottle of 100 Pipers.
Sounds like a very pleasant way to wake up.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Hi Dodger
All the information you need for the train trip is here:
https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Ban ... Chiang_Mai
2nd class sleepers have multiple berths per compartment, first class have 2 berths in a small cabin. Note his comments about new rolling stock on trains9 and 10.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ad ... next-month
You can book tickets at any railway station in Thailand, up to 60 days before you travel. You should do so soon, especially as you will want to book two berths together. They sell out quite quickly.
I have stayed in PJ's place some 7 years ago and certainly had no complaints then. Now I live in CM, I am not the best person to ask about htels but I can say:
>> Like anywhere else in Thailand, "gay friendly" is not, so far as I know, a problem anywhere.
>> It really does not matter where you stay in town. There are many Grab drivers at all times of the day and night and you can get to and from anywhere easily and reasonably cheaply. Better, maybe, to ask what facilities (pool, gym, etc.) you want at the hotel.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Jun wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:35 pm
Next time I visit Chiang Mai, it will probably be a daytime train in one direction, with one or more 1~3 day stops en-route, to break the trip up and maximize sightseeing opportunities. Then either returning by plane or some more circular route, offering more sightseeing.
I would think carefully about that. How big are you? The only one that fits your bill is train 7 which is a diesel rail car. The seats in it are spaced for (small) Thai people and for anyone who is of even average farang height and weight, even a couple of hours with your knees under your chin is likely to be uncomfortable. It is also unreliable - add about 25% to all journey times.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

There is a poster on one of the boards called Bon Tong, he might even have a website. He always has good information.
I visit many time and the only problem is the outrageous tuktuk mafia. Next time, I will try GRAB taxis.
Keep the distance in mind when choosing accommodation.
I usually stay in the Night Bazaar area.