90 Day Bank Check

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: 90 Day Bank Check

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 pm Why aren't these things done uniformly in all the immigration offices?
The Immigration Commission permits each of it's 6 Divisions and 44 Immigration Offices (referred to as Immigration Checkpoints) to operate autonomously, where standardization of policies and procedures which support the Immigration Act (Law) are allowed to vary.

In theory, based on this third-world approach, if a person wasn't happy with the policies imposed by one Division, or Checkpoint, they could move to another province which better suited their needs.

I requested to speak directly with the Superintendent (Police Colonel) of the Chonburi Checkpoint (Jomtien) to gain an understanding of his Checkpoints policies regarding Extension of Stay changes, for this very reason. I left his office with a clear understanding of what was expected in Chonburi Province which is the only thing I was concerned with.

I've never seen anything published which would suggest that "Standardization" is a priority, or even something that's being considered. As mind-boggling as this is, it's just the reality we're faced with.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Bob wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 am Another variation here in Chiangmai - we have no follow-up checks of the 800k.
That's exactly the same here (so far) in Bangkok, no bank book follow up. The 90 day section has around 1000 applicants per day at 4 windows and it gets backed up. They go into overtime most days. If they had to check bank books they would get backed up beyond reason.

It's mostly Asians (Chinese?) at Bangkok Immigration not farangs. One morning at the pre-entry line before opening I counted 170 Asians and only 8 farangs.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm The Immigration Commission permits each of it's 6 Divisions and 44 Immigration Offices (referred to as Immigration Checkpoints) to operate autonomously, where standardization of policies and procedures which support the Immigration Act (Law) are allowed to vary.
I never knew that. Maybe that's been the problem all along - different immigration offices do things differently.

Does the law provide for individual immigration officers within the same offices also operating autonomously? Maybe that's why sometimes one officer tells us something we can't rely on because another officer might tell us something different - in the same office . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:11 pm Does the law provide for individual immigration officers within the same offices also operating autonomously? Maybe that's why sometimes one officer tells us something we can't rely on because another officer might tell us something different - in the same office . . .
No, this is called "Mismanagement". Management is responsible to ensure that their employees are trained effectively. If they were trained effectively, all employees at a given office (checkpoint) would be interpreting the policy requirements the same way. This deficiency is coupled with the fact that many of the Immigration laws they're working with are completely outdated (outmoded) which gives individual offices, and officers, even more opportunities for error when interpreting and enforcing the policies. I view this is the root cause of the problem.

The fact that Immigration is not capable of screening foreigners' bank books for 90 day compliance to the letter-of-the-law comes as no surprise. A nine year old, using basic arithmetic, could see that there aren't enough resources to perform this type of review based on the sheer population of foreigners using the 800k method. If anything, this should be good news for those using the 800k method.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:48 pm The fact that Immigration is not capable of screening foreigners' bank books for 90 day compliance to the letter-of-the-law comes as no surprise.
But Pattaya immigration does check for 90 day compliance, while other immigration offices don't. I don't know how to reconcile that. Do you?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:36 pm
Dodger wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:48 pm The fact that Immigration is not capable of screening foreigners' bank books for 90 day compliance to the letter-of-the-law comes as no surprise.
But Pattaya immigration does check for 90 day compliance, while other immigration offices don't. I don't know how to reconcile that. Do you?
Undaunted reported that when he went in to do his first 90 day Bank Book Review, he was informed that he could skip the next 90 day review - and that they wouldn't need to review his Bank Book again until his normal visa renewal time. I hope I'm remembering this correctly. This may be an indication that Jomtien is already getting bottle-necked, and these Reviews, which just came into effect this year, haven't even started pouring in yet. It would appear as if Jomtien will, at some point, have to take the same approach as Chiang Mai Province.

If they want to Review your book every 90 days - so be it. If they relax the requirement and never want to see it, better yet. In any event, those who use the 800k method have to always comply with the Bank Account Minimum Balance Requirements in accordance with the current policy.

Some people have no other choice than to use the 800k method, which of course is perfectly understandable. But for those who have the option of using either the 65k monthly deposit method of the 800k method, I would definitely opt for the 65k monthly income method to avoid having any constraints on YOUR MONEY, and wasting YOUR TIME with these Reviews.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 am If they want to Review your book every 90 days - so be it. If they relax the requirement and never want to see it, better yet. In any event, those who use the 800k method have to always comply with the Bank Account Minimum Balance Requirements in accordance with the current policy.
The Immigration Rule for those using 800k is to keep at least that amount for 3 months (90 days) after getting their extension - after that, it is a minimum of 400k until 2 months before their next application at which time it must be back up to at least 800k. Pattaya (Jomtien) Immigration has decided they want to check that the 800k remained in the account for the required 90 days after getting the extension, thus the requirement to report with bank book. I imagine that if it fell below the 800k, they would immediately revoke/cancel the extension. As to the required 400k, they apparently have no desire to check that monthly or in 3 months time, instead, it can be verified at the next extension and decline it if the account fell below 400k.

Apparently other Immigration Offices don't wish to verify that 800k was kept in the account for the 3 months until the person's next extension, choosing instead to check at that time and deny the extension if it fell below the 800k in that first 3 month period.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 am If they want to Review your book every 90 days - so be it.
No, you've got that wrong. They never wanted to review your bank book every 90 days. I don't know where you got that from. They only ever wanted to review your bank book once, 90 days after approval of the visa based on the 800,000 baht. They don't check your bank book again until you apply for the next visa renewal.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 am
Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 am If they want to Review your book every 90 days - so be it.
No, you've got that wrong. They never wanted to review your bank book every 90 days. I don't know where you got that from. They only ever wanted to review your bank book once, 90 days after approval of the visa based on the 800,000 baht. They don't check your bank book again until you apply for the next visa renewal.
Sorry...I had that wrong.

I never really paid too much attention to this method, never planning to use it myself.

Have they ever said what the penalty would be if a person's account went below the minimum?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:57 am Have they ever said what the penalty would be if a person's account went below the minimum?
My understanding is if the account goes below 400,000 baht after the 90 day check, then they will not renew the retirement visa. They also will not renew the retirement visa if the account is not back up to 800,000 at least 2 months prior to renewal.

I have not heard what the penalty is if you fail to do that 90 day bank book check, especially since there is no uniformity. Would a person lose his retirement visa or otherwise be penalized for not complying with the 90 day check when other immigration offices don't even do a 90 day check?

I have not heard if a person fails to comply with all the 800,000 baht requirements, whether he could still renew the retirement visa using the 65,000 baht per month method.

In short, there are still plenty of questions and still plenty of confusion.