Treat yourself to Business Class

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Treat yourself to Business Class

Post by fountainhall »

Pursers have a printed manifest with the name and seat number of everyone in first and business class. That way the flight attendants are able to address each passenger by name.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Wasting my time looking at airfares and discovered it is now cheaper to fly Economy RT BKK- LHR than it is LHR-BKK. When and why did that happen? For many years I booked USA - BKK in the reverse because it was much cheaper even after throwing 1 leg away. Guess the airlines smartened up??
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 pm Pursers have a printed manifest with the name and seat number of everyone in first and business class. That way the flight attendants are able to address each passenger by name.
That's right. That time I got to travel first class, before I ever boarded the plane the first class staff knew my name and who I was. There is no way just anybody can walk in and grab an empty seat in first or business class. If you are not holding a boarding pass for any of those seats, you're not getting any of those seats.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

firecat69 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 pm When and why did that happen? For many years I booked USA - BKK in the reverse because it was much cheaper even after throwing 1 leg away. Guess the airlines smartened up??
Throwing away the first coupon of a ticket nowadays means all the sectors of a ticket are lost. The computer automatically deletes them. Decades ago I used to purchase tickets from Tokyo to New York for Japanese clients, but with the ticket originating and ending in Hong Kong with a stopover in Tokyo. That made the ticket about 50% cheaper for the Japanese. But it is no longer possible any more. The airlines have wised up on a lot of tricks like that!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

You're probably right but I was throwing away the second coupon. Nothing they could do about that then or now!
Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:54 pmYou're probably right but I was throwing away the second coupon. Nothing they could do about that then or now!
I did recently read about some airlines now refusing to take further bookings from people buying tickets and missing the missing a final leg of a journey. For example where a ticket from A to B costs more than a ticket from A to B to C, people were buying the A-B-C ticket and only flying the A-B leg.

As long as they only have hand luggage, I think the law should side with the customers on this, as it's one way of forcing the airlines not to play silly games with pricing. Obviously if the customers have checked luggage, the airlines need some sanctions, as they cannot hold the flight up whilst looking for the bag in the hold.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If a customer uses a return ticket for just a single journey, using only the first segment, airlines now retrospectively charge the full single fares. (No show). They will debit the additional money from the card used to book the seat.
Qatar and others are well known for this and spell it out in the small print on their websites.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

BA now routinely do this. Travel agents are particularly wary about your actual travel details as they will also be fined if they cannot locate you. I suppose the only way the airline cannot get you is if you pay cash for the ticket at a BA counter. But how many use cash nowadays?
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

First the final Leg tickets have been a problem for years for the airlines . This is not something I ever bothered with .

As far as the airline charging for not using a return ticket I'm not sure I understand the rationale. In all cases the RT ticket would cost in excess of a one way ticket . Thus the airline would have already been paid more than if the customer had bought a 1 way ticket. So no way for them to collect more money. Also not sure how CC companies treat their customers in the rest of the world? But I assure you that Chase would laugh at the airline and has when I was the customer.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

This from Smartertravel in May this year.

If you skip a flight that’s the final leg on a multi-flight ticket, and therefore nothing is left for the airline to cancel.
Travelers often do this deliberately if they want to go from City A to City B, and the fare from City A to City C by way of City B is less than a fare from City A to City B. They buy the connecting ticket and skip the second flight. This is called a “hidden city” fare, and while airlines offer a whole bunch of vaporware reasons to justify their crazy pricing, the fact is that people do it to cut their travel cost. But keep in mind that doing this violates your contract with the airline. In fact, Lufthansa recently sued a passenger for hidden-city ticketing, to the tune of $2,300 plus interest.
https://www.smartertravel.com/skipping-a-flight-onward/