GoGo Bars in Pattaya a Thing of the Past?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

GoGo Bars in Pattaya a Thing of the Past?

Post by Undaunted »

In my opinion the shift to the Complex of most gay venues will spell the end of Pattaya’s GoGo bars as the customer base is largely made up of elderly expats that are quite happy socializing amongst themselves while sitting in a beer bar, while the boys are more ornamental and the libido of the average customer has seen way better days!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: GoGo Bars in Pattaya a Thing of the Past?

Post by Gaybutton »

That could happen, but I think we're currently in a wait-and-see mode. After all, Thailand just opened up again and we're in the middle of low season.

I'd like to see what high season brings before giving up on go-go bars.
Jun

Post by Jun »

To be honest, even as a tourist, I tend to go to Jomtien to have a few beers and socialize. I meet lads via the phone apps.

I also see very few lads leaving Jomtien Complex with customers. Totally different to the old gogo bar days.

As for tourists keeping the gogo bars open, well there must be a bit of a chicken and egg situation here. For any tourists who want cute slim twinks, we have just Winner and Toy Boys. That's assuming Toy Boys have a selection equivalent to pre-covid. If you're very lucky, maybe Dream Boys.
So at best, 2.5 bars. Is that going to be enough to keep customers coming back to Pattaya ?

There is, of course the other type of gogo bar, with larger & more mature lads, such as BBB, A-Bomb, X-Boys etc. I have no interest in these & frankly don't care if they stay open.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Any credence to the rumour that Doug, the former owner of the famous Toolbox Bar in Phnom Penh will open a new bar in the Jomtien complex?

Source is from the gossip posted from the other forums.

Could this spark some additional life into the Complex ?

https://www.facebook.com/ToolboxBarPP/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

BKKDreamer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:07 pm Any credence to the rumour that Doug, the former owner of the famous Toolbox Bar in Phnom Penh will open a new bar in the Jomtien complex?

Source is from the gossip posted from the other forums.

Could this spark some additional life into the Complex ?

https://www.facebook.com/ToolboxBarPP/
I am friends with Doug and have been in contact with him via Facebook messenger and after closing ToolBox he claims to have no desire to open another bar.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:51 pm So at best, 2.5 bars. Is that going to be enough to keep customers coming back to Pattaya ?
If it begins to look as if success is possible, perhaps more bars will open/reopen. However, don't forget that Pattaya's go-go bar scene was in real trouble long before anyone ever heard of Covid.

The local expat community is simply not enough alone to keep the bars going. Even if all the gay expats visit the go-go bars every day, I still don't think it's enough. Plus, much has changed. I doubt I'm alone in thinking why should I go to go-go bars, with the excessively loud music, overpriced drinks (with the exception of Winner) when I really don't want to drink in the first place, expensive "drink for boy", and high off fees when many of the very same boys, along with many who have nothing to do with the bars, are available on the apps and all it will cost me is the price of paying for a motorbike taxi to bring him and take him back plus his tip?

I've lost count of how many times I keep saying it, but the bars need to do whatever it takes to make themselves attractive enough to supersede the way I see it as I described above. I have not been to any of the go-go bars yet - and I'm in no hurry - but from what people are telling me, they're doing things the same way they've always done things. I just hope for their sake that by the time they figure out that as far as attracting good customer numbers, that simply doesn't work anymore and it won't already be too late.

I see a lot of messages on the various boards submitted by farang anxious to go back to Thailand. If this year's high season brings in enough customers, maybe the go-go bars stand a decent chance. But if high season is a failure again this year, I think the go-go bars will be doomed. I believe it will only be a question of time - assuming the go-go bars even manage to survive until high season.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:28 pm I doubt I'm alone in thinking why should I go to go-go bars, with the excessively loud music, overpriced drinks (with the exception of Winner) when I really don't want to drink in the first place, expensive "drink for boy", and high off fees when many of the very same boys, along with many who have nothing to do with the bars, are available on the apps and all it will cost me is the price of paying for a motorbike taxi to bring him and take him back plus his tip?
You're definitely not alone.
Additionally on the phone apps, since the conversation is for free and there's less emotion, it's easier to have a conversation, determine exactly what he's going to do and make a rational decision.
In a gogo bar, to talk to the lad, I've invested between 150~400 baht. Then, as he's sat next to me, even if I have doubts, emotion means I'm far more likely to off him than I should be. If I decide I want to speak to a different lad, I need to tip him, send him back and then invite another one down.

If there are decent gogo bars, I'm still going to visit them. But with phone apps, it will be far less frequently than 5 years ago.

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:28 pm I've lost count of how many times I keep saying it, but the bars need to do whatever it takes to make themselves attractive enough to supersede the way I see it as I described above.
Instead of making themselves attractive, some gogo bars have been fobbing customers off with boys in jeans or shorts.
Of course, someone will respond by saying that's all they were permitted to do. However, if we look at the Patpong example, whilst the boys were wearing jeans, the nearby girly bars had no such restrictions, as could be seen by walking past.
I'm guessing that now the restrictions are removed, some of the Pattaya girlie bars will be back to total nudity.

Among the Pattaya gay gogo bars, Winner Boys is by far the most attractive option -price, dress code and music volumes are all reasonable.

Toy Boys also used to be good, although they spoilt it slightly with all this BS about "Toy Boys minimum tip is 1500", which started several years ago.
The last time I found a Toy Boy on Grindr and offered "minimum 1000", his reply was can I come NOW ? This was about 3~4 years ago. I gave him more than 1000, but I'd still rather start with a minimum tip that's below what I intend to pay than vice versa.
I know someone else who was a regular customer at Toy Boys, but he stopped going as too many boys were making excuses in the bedroom. Pay more and get less is always a difficult proposition.

Although I quite liked visiting Toy Boys, checking notes, in the last 7 years the actual offs from gogo bars were mainly from Cupidol, Kawaii Boys and the Sunee Bars. Closures have depleted this list.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:19 pm In my opinion the shift to the Complex of most gay venues will spell the end of Pattaya’s GoGo bars as the customer base is largely made up of elderly expats that are quite happy socializing amongst themselves while sitting in a beer bar, while the boys are more ornamental and the libido of the average customer has seen way better days!
Unfortunately I think you are right. I thought the exact same when I walked a round to all the few remaining boy gogo bars in Pattaya just recently. What crap they have turned into, almost all of them. And the farangs in Pattaya don't seem interested in gogo bars, just as you say. Not even the 2-3 worth visiting gets much foottrafic. What will remain is chinese showbars for ripping off the busloads of tourists who are willing to pay 500 baht per drink to see fully dressed "models" on stage.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm What will remain is chinese showbars for ripping off the busloads of tourists who are willing to pay 500 baht per drink to see fully dressed "models" on stage.
"Ohhhhhhh how stimulating."
- Gladys Cooper (Elva Keene), 'The Twilight Zone - Night Call'
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Yes, I agree. Gogo bars in Pattaya will some day be a thing of the past - but the thought of this seems extremely trivial considering the fact that one day I'll be a thing of the past as well.

As long as there's still a gay scene in Pattaya with some boy bars and fun nightly entertainment I'm happy as a pig in poo.

Six months ago there was nothing but empty buildings with boarded up doorways. Funny how things have a way of coming around.