Which bars are open?

Anything and everything about Thailand
pong

Re: Which bars are open?

Post by pong »

Well, ahum, even the name ´dark side´ is probably fitting for a bar we all seem to like. Better anyway as f.e. ´the dead end´. And not those always the same Apollo/Adonis/Why Not.
Re songhthaew/ (´baht bus´) routes: works like in about any smaller size Thai town: you hail one, call destination (yes, in Thai-most often the nearest temple) and driver nods yes/no if s/he is going that way-roughly. As any local knows the common local fare, there is no bargaining. Even works like that in a fairly spread out city like ChMai. If final alightingpoint is faraway, its common for pax to steer driver how to ride. Needs some adjusting to, as its not similar to customs from the west. As soon as you start bargaining about fare, it will be assumed you ´charter´ and want a private ride.
Well-hence its a saving grace that now these apps with ubergrab or howits called have appeared. Smarter baht-drivers will even also check in quiet moments if there is something for them wanted. As do most taximeters in BKK.

Jun

Post by Jun »

pong wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:20 pm
Re songhthaew/ (´baht bus´) routes: works like in about any smaller size Thai town: you hail one, call destination (yes, in Thai-most often the nearest temple) and driver nods yes/no if s/he is going that way-roughly. As any local knows the common local fare, there is no bargaining. Even works like that in a fairly spread out city like ChMai. If final alightingpoint is faraway, its common for pax to steer driver how to ride. Needs some adjusting to, as its not similar to customs from the west. As soon as you start bargaining about fare, it will be assumed you ´charter´ and want a private ride.
This is too much hassle & once we deviate from regular routes, there is the risk of farang pricing. As I saw when trying to get out of the northern bus station in Pattaya a few years ago. The baht bus quoted me 200 baht and he quoted the Thais next to me sam sip baht, which they were also unhappy about. He didn't get a fare out of any of us.

An optimum solution is seen with the Bangkok bus network. Google maps tells me which bus to take and they operate fixed routes, at a reasonable frequency. The fare is normally between about 8 and 12 baht, depending on if it is aircon or not. That's exactly the type of system Pattaya should get. Fewer vehicles, delivering a better and more comprehensive transport system.

Then if "The Flying Pig" gogo bar opens on The Dark Side, we can easily get there.
At present, Bolt also does a very competitive job, this is unlikely to be reliable during periods of high demand.

Steering back to the topic, when are the gogo bars in Pattaya expected to open ? And open PROPERLY, with lads in underwear.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 6:56 pm
Steering back to the topic, when are the gogo bars in Pattaya expected to open ? And open PROPERLY, with lads in underwear.
The latest I'm hearing is they will be allowed to open in June, possibly with extended hours too.

As far as what the boys will be wearing, I have no idea. Even now, with boys dressed in jeans, I don't know if that was ordered, whether up to the bar, or by the boys' own choice. I'd say the bars were ordered since they are not supposed to be open at all yet without that absurd restaurant designation.

We'll just have to wait and see. My guess is they will be allowed to be back in underwear. It would be rather pointless for a go-go bar to be open and the boys are dressed the same as you can find in any beer bar. The way I see it, I think most of us hope the boys will be in underwear, but jeans and shirtless is better than nothing.

Once the bars can open as bars, I hope the powers-that-be prudes have better things to do than worrying about what go-go boys are wearing.

Of course, if they insist that the boys wear masks, I hope this is how the boys will wear them :

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:11 pm
I'd say the bars were ordered since they are not supposed to be open at all yet without that absurd restaurant designation.
I suspect you're right.
Yet in Patpong, the boy bars have their staff in jeans and the few girlie bars have their staff in swimsuit/underwear type gear, as visible from walking past. Which is what I think they normally wear in that part of town.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:52 pm
My opinion is that began the day Crabby and Thomas left Corner Bar.
I was gone to Philippines by the time Corner Bar changed hands, so what I heard was second hand info. Due to mainly the vision, IMO, of Crabby they had a pretty successful business model. I have always believed when buying a successful business the best idea is change little or nothing. Why mess with success? Other friends still there told me the people who bought it began to make significant changes right off the bat. Several key staff members quit. Crabby had assembled a very solid staff it seemed to me, and if I had bought the bar, I would thought it best to keep them. Make the transition as seamless as possible. Being there you may have seen it differently, but when I heard of the changes they made right off the bat, I sadly predicted their eventual demise. At the time I left Pattaya, Corner Bar did seem like the pulse of Sunee Plaza. My friends and I seldom if ever went to Sunee without spending significant time at Corner Bar. It was never the mongering bar, but it was definitely the socializing bar, even for large groups of farang friends who were mostly into ladyboys.
I do not know what Thomas and Crabby paid for the bar when they bought it or what they sold it for, but my guess would be they made a decent profit.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:11 pm
Of course, if they insist that the boys wear masks, I hope this is how the boys will wear them :

Which bar may I find this boy in? He looks pretty much perfect. :)

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Lefty wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Which bar may I find this boy in? He looks pretty much perfect. :)
If you ever find out, let me know. Does he look like a Thai bar boy to you? Does he look like a bar boy at all, anywhere to you?

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Gaybutton wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm

If you ever find out, let me know. Does he look like a Thai bar boy to you? Does he look like a bar boy at all, anywhere to you?
He looks like he plausibly could be a bar boy, but of course, unless you know for sure, it's not provable.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Lefty wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:31 am
He looks like he plausibly could be a bar boy, but of course, unless you know for sure, it's not provable.
Provable? Like in a courtroom? Ok.

If you think it is plausible that he not only is Thai, but also works in a bar, now you have quest. If you manage to find him, let us know.

Personally I think there is much more of a chance he is Hungarian and sells aluminum siding in Szolnok. I'd be looking for him there long before I'd be looking for him anywhere in Thailand - but unfortunately it is not provable . . .

Based on odds alone, I'd be setting my hopes on finding someone other than him if I were you.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I hope for his sake he is not in Hungary. I've read their dictator is worse than Trump.
So, I guess you do agree with my Corner Bar comments above?