Opening New Bank Account in USA with No USA Address

Business, Doctor, Maid service, Handyman, "Where can I find . . .", etc.
puan

Opening New Bank Account in USA with No USA Address

Post by puan »

Recently I became extremely dissatisfied with my USA bank of 30 years...they were purchased and the services started deteriorating and the fees started skyrocketing. Typical of banking in America. So I was looking for a new bank BUT had no plans to return to United States any time soon and had no USA address. Started research and solution was found....the State Department Federal Credit Union (saw recommendation on ThaiVisa).

Last month I was able to open new checking account with ATM/Debit card using my Thai address and phone number. Fairly easy process and had to scan and provide them with copies of my passport, social security card, and lease showing Thailand address (in English).

I recommend them to anyone looking for new bank in America using your Thai address. Been very pleased with their customer service and responsiveness.
Up2u

Re: Opening New Bank Account in USA with No USA Address

Post by Up2u »

What affiliated group did you use for membership?
puan

Post by puan »

Up2u wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am What affiliated group did you use for membership?
ACA

But I was not a member at time of application for the credit union but was going to join. Not sure it is verified since I still have not completed the "joining" of ACA.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

puan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 am
Up2u wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am What affiliated group did you use for membership?
ACA

But I was not a member at time of application for the credit union but was going to join. Not sure it is verified since I still have not completed the "joining" of ACA.
Thanks.
(ACA = American Citizens Abroad)
puan

Post by puan »

Up2u wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am
Thanks.
Ooops....my mistake...sorry. It was ACC --- American Consumer Council.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

puan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 am
Up2u wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am
Thanks.
Ooops....my mistake...sorry. It was ACC --- American Consumer Council.
Not to renew an old thread but I now have renewed interest in SDFCU because they charge only $20 for domestic wire transfers to Bangkok Bank NYC. For those in the dark, BB will only accept ACH transfers in IAT format but will continue to accept domestic wire transfers. For those Americans that live overseas and do not have a "home" address, a foreign address is perfectly acceptable and all banking is done on the internet.
I am considering joining ACA($70) simply because they advocate Medicare benefits for us expats. ACC charges $8 for membership.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I recommend a Capital One 360 money market acct. This is strictly an online bank....no fees....no hassles 24hr. customer service..... takes minutes to open an account...FDIC insured....free checking acct. can have a debit card no international transaction fees and international atm fees are reimbursed to your account.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:25 am I recommend a Capital One 360 money market acct. This is strictly an online bank....no fees....no hassles 24hr. customer service..... takes minutes to open an account...FDIC insured....free checking acct. can have a debit card no international transaction fees and international atm fees are reimbursed to your account.
A US address required for new accounts?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was only asked to supply my SS. #
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:25 am I recommend a Capital One 360 money market acct. This is strictly an online bank....no fees....no hassles 24hr. customer service..... takes minutes to open an account...FDIC insured....free checking acct. can have a debit card no international transaction fees and international atm fees are reimbursed to your account.
I had an old Orange account which was converted to a Capitalone to a and savings account which I use only occasionally. My interest is in domestic wire transfers wires to BB NYC. The Capitalone 360 mm charges $30 which is greater than Schwab.

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/savings ... sclosures/