Best Ride App..Comparable to Motorbike Taxi Prices

Business, Doctor, Maid service, Handyman, "Where can I find . . .", etc.
Undaunted

Best Ride App..Comparable to Motorbike Taxi Prices

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Best Ride App..Comparable to Motorbike Taxi Prices

Post by Gaybutton »

I guess I'm just dense, but while I can see this is some sort of app to arrange motorbike rides, I don't know the name of the app, where to get it, why it would be preferable to a motorbike taxi, or how to use it.

How about some details?

I could see using it if I find myself somewhere I need a ride, but no motorbike taxis are around.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:04 pm I guess I'm just dense, but while I can see this is some sort of app to arrange motorbike rides, I don't know the name of the app, where to get it, why it would be preferable to a motorbike taxi, or how to use it.
For Android phones, open the Play Store and type Bolt into the search box. Take care to make sure you are getting the right app, then install it.
For Apple phones, I think they call it the App Store ?

The best example of a local ride hailing app I've used was "Pass App" in Phnom Penh. The advantages were:

1 The GPS on your phone tells the driver where you are and you set the exact destination on the map, so no communication problems over the route.
2 Fixed prices, with no farang price and no haggling. So good value.
3 I can't think of an easier way to get a taxi to come to you.

The same advantages could apply in Thailand. Of course, that isn't necessarily the case. At home in the UK, I don't use Uber as they charge quite a bit more than the local taxi companies. Even some of the local taxi firms have their own app now.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:14 pm For Android phones, open the Play Store and type Bolt into the search box.
Thank you. Now I understand.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:04 pm How about some details?
It is the same as Uber…Grab..etc. it is not for a motorbike taxi it is for a taxi/car…..just downloaded the application from the Apple App Store or for android the google Play Store.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:51 pm It is the same as Uber…Grab..etc. it is not for a motorbike taxi it is for a taxi/car
Even though I have a car, I can see myself using this app if I know where I want to go is a destination difficult to find a place to park.

I suppose this is a foolish question, but have any of you actually used this app in Pattaya, Bangkok, or elsewhere in Thailand? I'm curious about how long it normally takes for a driver to accept your request and show up to take you.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

The Bolt taxi service is the one good thing I have found to use in Pattaya in these depressing days. Travelling from Pratumnak to Central Festival to do my essential food shopping costs me 56 Baht to go there and 52 Baht to come back. Response is rapid, never waiting more than two to three minutes for the taxi to appear. Travelling in an airconditioned car for less than I used to pay the motorbike taxis is amazing.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 am The Bolt taxi service is the one good thing I have found to use in Pattaya in these depressing days.
Thank you very much. It is good to know it works so well, so quickly, and is so inexpensive. I'm surprised the drivers are willing to do this for such low prices. My guess is they're probably making much more in tips than they are with these low fees.

I wonder if the drivers operate only locally or are willing to take people to Bangkok, the airport, or other longer destinations. If they are willing to do that, if I were arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport from an international flight and wanted to go to Pattaya, rather than take a regular taxi or bus, I might try this app as soon as I can after stepping off the plane and have a driver waiting for me as soon as I retrieve my luggage and clear customs. If I were staying in Bangkok, that's how I would probably get to my hotel. I'm not sure the authorities would allow other than regular meter taxis to pick up passengers that way, but it might be worth a try.

In any case, I'm also glad to know now everybody can tell the expensive Pattaya rip-off taxis - the ones that refuse to turn on their meters - we have crying towels they can borrow . . .
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

I have used BOLT 8-9 times in the past 2 months …as close as Immigration … 56 baht from View Talay #1 …. as far as Bang Saray…154 baht … healthy tips, of course….I found it to be amazingly efficient and reasonably priced ….always took 3-4 minutes for the car to show up. GPS insures reliability… cars have been private sedans as well as green/yellow taxis ….Highly recommend.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I have used the Bolt app and it is extremely effective and inexpensive although I always tip well.
I read somewhere (another forum I believe) that someone used Bolt from BKK airport to Pattaya for about 1200 Baht or less. If someone does use Bolt from the airport, I suggest you wait until after you clear Customs as they respond very quickly. The app shows the cars that are available and nearby.
And you can choose a motorbike, but why bother!