Computer Repair

Business, Doctor, Maid service, Handyman, "Where can I find . . .", etc.
RichLB

Computer Repair

Post by RichLB »

I have used Khun Choke for several years here in Pattaya. He is excellent, very reasonable (600 baht for house calls and repair) and always arrives when he says he will. I recommend him to anyone who has a computer problem large or small. I feel for the guy with the reduction of his business due to the virus.

tel: 089 212 7696
2lz2p

Re: Computer Repair

Post by 2lz2p »

I and several other friends have used "A" for several years now. He operates from home and comes to your location. He has always showed up when he says he will. He usually charges 300 baht per hour. He has built 3 computers for me over the years and did a major upgrade a couple years ago on the last one he built for me. His telephone number is 08-1743-7073. His wife usually takes a message and he gets back to you to arrange a time.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:16 pm I and several other friends have used "A" for several years now.
How good is his English?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:59 pm
2lz2p wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:16 pm I and several other friends have used "A" for several years now.
How good is his English?
Based on my experience, it is good - of course the conversation is limited to computer matters. He is a bit hard of hearing, so you may have to speak up a bit. I have recommended him to several friends over the years and they have all been satisfied and pleased with his service.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

A couple days ago I managed to pick up a ransomeware virus, which of course I was not about to pay. I would format everything and start from scratch before I would pay assholes like that.

When I have computer problems I've always called Choke, which I did this time too. His number is 089 212 7976

He took my computer to his shop, worked on it for two days, and brought it back to me. He managed to restore nearly everything. Only a few video files, most of which I don't care about in the first place and are easy to download again if I want them, failed to be restored.

Choke worked for hours on getting the virus out and did even more when he brought back my computer. All he asked for was 700 baht. I certainly gave him more than that.

If it wasn't for Choke, I really would have had to format all the drives and start over from scratch. Now just a few programs to re-install - and that won't take long.

I learned the hard way before - anything on your computer, back it up - often - in case something like this happens. This time I learned a new lesson the hard way. I had a flash drive attached to the computer when the virus happened. It wiped out all the files on the flash drive too. Fortunately, nothing important was on that flash drive. But it teaches me to remove the flash drive from the computer when I'm not using it. And if you use flash drives to back up anything or portable hard drives for backing up, detach them from the computer when not in use.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

GB, what kind of antivirus software do you use?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm GB, what kind of antivirus software do you use?
Avast, Malwarebytes, Spy Hunter 5, and Windows Defender. These are supposed to be sophisticated enough to stop these kinds of attacks. In my case, whoever created this ransomware was even more sophisticated.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Back in about 2003 I PAID for a year's worth of Anti Virus. I think it may have been with Symantec. During that year, despite the paid for anti-virus, I had a virus and had to re-format and re-install to fix the problem.

So ever since then, I've been using free anti-virus from AVG, Avast OR Avira (only one installed at a time). With no virus problems at all. If I ever had the suspicion the anti-virus software was being slow, I'd just change to a different one. For the last few years it's been Avast.
In recent years, I believe Avast have taken over AVG.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:06 am So ever since then, I've been using free anti-virus
Free or paid, these cyber criminals always seem to find ways to beat whatever these anti-virus companies come up with.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out some of the cyber criminals actually work for the anti-virus companies. What better way to know their methods and the ins and outs of their software than to work for them?

The only way I know for people victimized by them to deal with it is to frequently back up everything on your computer. It may be a pain to have to re-install software, but at least you won't lose your important files.

I took all the precautions I know to take, but the virus got onto my computer anyway.

Another suggestion - if you find yourself a victim of this or any other virus, make sure to change all your passwords - which you ought to do on a regular basis anyway.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:04 am Free or paid, these cyber criminals always seem to find ways to beat whatever these anti-virus companies come up with.
almost by definition, it will always be a "cat and mouse" game between the good and bad guys
Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:04 am The only way I know for people victimized by them to deal with it is to frequently back up everything on your computer. It may be a pain to have to re-install software, but at least you won't lose your important files.
for individuals, it is not just "frequent" backups but "multiple" backups - if you discover a problem during or just after a backup, your live and backup data are potentially lost but if you have at least two sets of backups stretching over multiple months you have more chances of restoring successfully
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!