Things that kept me glued to the TV

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 516 times

#1 Things that kept me glued to the TV

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm

While many of us have been riveted to the TV during the cave rescue saga, for me it brought to mind other things that kept me glued to TV:

1. The JFK Assassination
2. The Martin Luther King assassination
3. The Bobby Kennedy Assassination
4. The Valujet crash in the Florida Everglades (I lived there)
5. Air Florida Flight 90 that crashed on takeoff into Washington DC's 14th Street Bridge
6. 9/11
7. The killing of Bin Laden
8. Hurricane Andrew (I lived through that. Luckily I had a hand-held battery operated TV)
9. The Phuket tsunami
10. Many of the Watergate hearings and the Nixon resignation
11. The 2016 presidential election debates and election returns

I'm sure there were many others, but these are the ones standing out for me at the moment. The cave rescue is one of the very few that had a happy ending.

What about YOU? In your life, what kept YOU unable to tear yourself away from the TV?

fountainhall
Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 325 times

#2 Re: Things that kept me glued to the TV

Postby fountainhall » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Ever since the Soviets first put a dog into space, I have been fascinated by space. Not the Star Trek or Star Wars variety. Just the act of getting out of earth's atmosphere and seeing our planet from above. So two events had me glued to the TV -

1. The flight of Apollo 8 around the moon and safely back. So many supposedly knowledgeable experts, including Britain's Astronomer Royal, Sir Bernard Lovell, claimed it was too dangerous for any spacecraft to venture to the dark side of the moon. I found this flight even more extraordinary than the actual moon landing.
2. Apollo 13. Another event that hooked the world for days with all the ingredients of a major suspense movie! And Ron Howard's eventual film was pretty good.

Others have included many on GB's list as well as the following -

3. The slow revelation of the horrific Cambodian genocide. Vietnam seemed too far away when I lived in the UK. From Hong Kong, the Cambodian Killing Fields were virtually on my doorstep.
4. The hearings prior to the appointment of the liar Clarence Thomas to the US Supreme Court.
5. The 1986 Chernobyl Disaster
6. The 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 516 times

#3 Re: Things that kept me glued to the TV

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Fountainhall's post reminds me. I can't believe left out the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Return to “Everything Else”