Bangkok report April 2018

Anything and everything about Thailand
a447
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 95 times

#21 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby a447 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthre ... post239932

Sorry. Couldn't work out how to post the photo here.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 473 times

#22 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 pm

a447 wrote:Sorry. Couldn't work out how to post the photo here.

For instructions how to include photos in your posts, see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8576

I took a look at your photo of "Homo Hill." I'm trying to figure out why you even bothered to post it. All I see is a dark empty street. Not exactly my idea of a reason to book a flight to Seoul . . .

Did you mean to convey the idea that Seoul's "Homo Hill" is a big nothing?

aussie
Liked: 125 times
Been liked: 48 times

#23 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby aussie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 pm

Gaybutton wrote:That is certainly an intriguing name

"Homo hill" gets its name from the gay bars being on streets with a rather steep incline. There was more than one street of bars although one main street as a447 mentioned and it was fairly dark which I was told was to not make the area too conspicuous. There were quite a few transgender bars, you could not see inside from the street but the door would open and I would be invited inside as I passed by. Not my scene so I declined their offer. The two gay bars that I visited had expensive drinks and no boys available like in the Thailand beer bars. So no need to rush to Seoul for their gay bar scene, Thailand is still the best in that regard.

The staff at my hotel in Seoul did not care when my Korean friend arrived to stay with me so I would not worry about any problems bringing a guy to your room.

a447

#24 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby a447 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Did you mean to convey the idea that Seoul's "Homo Hill" is a big nothing?

Yep. A picture is worth 1000 words, as they say!

a447

#25 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby a447 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 am

As you can see, only one bar - Why Not - was open. There were only 2 customers, both farang, sitting at the bar. No boys in sight. They charge $10 entry fee!

The area, called Itaewon, was packed with gay couples but God only knows where they were heading off to. Certainly not to the famed Homo Hill.

Not a single "homo" erectus in sight.

Why not, indeed!

a447

#26 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby a447 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am

I'm back!

I flew into Bangkok from Seoul last night. Immigration was virtually deserted and I got through to the luggage carousels within 5 minutes - the quickest ever.

But there was some problem off-loading the bags and I had to wait 40 minutes before mine appeared.

Normally, I take the train if I arrive on the weekend, as I've been caught in a massive traffic jam in the past. But last night I decided to chance it and was surprised at the total lack of traffic anywhere along the route. Even Suriwong Street was a breeze, and I arrived at my hotel in record time.

So it's the taxi from now on. But I'm wondering if taxi fares have recently gone up because it cost me 450 baht, rather than the usual 300 and something. He used the meter.

After a quick shower it was off to meet my friends at the bar. We couldn't have our usual fun as there was a customer sitting at the bar with a girl. But as soon as they left the doorman went outside to keep a look-out for approaching customers and we had our usual fun.

Just as we'd finished a Japanese guy walked in with his wife and we had a bit of a chat. He's not gay but was simply looking for somewhere to enjoy a late night drink or three. But they seemed to enjoy themselves as they say and chatted with one of the guys.

Many of the boys still haven't returned from Songkran and there were only 4 working. But my two were there, and that's the main thing.

Tonight I might head off to Soi Twilight and see a show, seeing as it's Saturday night.

fountainhall
Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 293 times

#27 Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Postby fountainhall » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 am

a447 wrote:So it's the taxi from now on. But I'm wondering if taxi fares have recently gone up because it cost me 450 baht, rather than the usual 300 and something. He used the meter.

Please remember that many who live in Bangkok are still on holiday. The traffic has been very light on the expressways and in the city all week. I am sure it will get back to "normal" very soon and those jams will reappear.

I suspect you had a taxi with a doctored meter. Since I travel to and from BKK a lot, I know pretty much what the fare should be in both directions, even when allowing for traffic. At least four times in the last 2 years I have got to the first or second toll booth well aware that the meter was showing at least 25% more than it ought to. Although my Thai is rudimentary I just tell the driver in English "meter broken". Always the drivers will pretend not to hear. So I start taking photos of him, the meter, his licence and the taxi's licence. On all but one occasion the drivers have then turned the meters off and I have paid what I normally do. The other occasion he waived me away with an OK sort of gesture. On arrival I got my bag out, again paid when I normally pay and he drove off.

Return to “Thailand”