GB's Annual Songkran Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

GB's Annual Songkran Report

Post by Gaybutton »

In Pattaya the water splashing begins today and will continue through the "Big Day" on Tuesday, April 19. You won't have to worry about getting splashed today. If this year is like all the previous years, and there's no reason to expect anything different, you might see a few groups of toddlers here and there with squirt guns that shoot about a meter. That's all that will take place today.

Those of you in Pattaya and all the other areas of Thailand, please post your observations and experiences.

I really don't know how much "out and abouting" I'm going to be doing this year until the 19th. On the 19th I intend to be out in the thick of it. Splashing, powder all over my face, etc. doesn't bother me a bit - especially considering all the wet T-shirt and shirtless boys that will be out there.

The problem I'm anticipating, and I hope it doesn't happen, is since there is no water shortage in Pattaya, but so many other provinces are going through the worst drought in years and some provinces are curtailing the water splashing, I have a feeling half of Thailand is going to come to Pattaya and by this weekend Pattaya is going to be massive traffic jams. We'll see.
Gaybutton

Re: GB's Annual Songkran Report

Post by Gaybutton »

Today I saw nothing going on at all, not even the toddlers with squirt guns. I imagine that's the way it was all over town. No out of the ordinary traffic problems yet.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

My sympathies are with you all....I hope that the present conditions continue. The closest I ever came to a Pattaya Songkran was about sixteen years ago and I do not forgive the six year-old who squirted me in the face outside Mike's Dept Store. Even less do I forgive his indulgent parents who thought my discomfort amusing. Since then, I've arranged my trips to avoid the season.

Meanwhile, in Kamphaeng Phaet Province , my beloved prepares for his Songkran when he will visit his two surviving grandparents and sprinkle water on them in a a dignified manner. I'd rather be with him-electricity and water cuts notwithstanding- than in Pattaya. For now, anyway.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I arrived in Bangkok from Taipei about 7pm. There are many Taiwanese here from what i see on the apps and from other parts of Asia here to enjoy Songkran. There was minimal water gun action in a packed Soi 4 at 1100 pm and i did not notice any happening elsewhere except the Japanese soi. DJ Station area is packed to overflow so i gave that a miss. It is sweltering hot tonight so i am watching the passing crowds in air conditioned comfort at Maxis in Soi Twighlight. It really is a good atmosphere with all the beer bars full of customers tonight and obviously here to enjoy themselves.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

How many have died or injured so far from this holiday that has gotten so out of hand?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:How many have died or injured so far from this holiday that has gotten so out of hand?
Road toll dents govt safety pitch

13 Apr 2016

Police are stepping up road safety measures after at least 52 people were killed and 431 others were injured in traffic accidents across the country on Monday, the first day of the government's campaign to prevent road casualties during the Songkran festival.

Pol Lt Gen Anan Srihiran, assistant chief of the Royal Thai Police and spokesman for the government's campaign centre, said 37% of the traffic accidents were caused by speeding and 27% by drink-driving.

Just under 80% of the smash-ups involved motorcycles, he said.

Police and road safety volunteers deployed at checkpoints would strictly enforce laws against speeding, drink-driving and traffic violations, Pol Lt Gen Anan said.

The checkpoints have been set up along all major roads during the festival, he added.

Police were told to be on high alert for a possible spike in road accidents Tuesday, the last working day before the holiday.

An exodus of holidaymakers leaving large cities for the long break was expected to begin Tuesday, Pol Lt Gen Anan said.

As well as ordinary motorists, police are paying special attention to drivers of passenger buses and vans, he said.

The police were looking to bring the drink-driving rate among public bus and van drivers as close to zero as possible during this Songkran festival, he said. These drivers can expect to be stopped more often than usual for breath tests, Pol Lt Gen Anan added.

Beginning Wednesday, the road safety campaign will be ramped up on local roads across the country as many travellers would have arrived at their destinations and were celebrating the festival, said Chatchai Phromlert, director-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

A total of 3,085 people were arrested for drink-driving and 75 vehicles impounded at road safety checkpoints between Saturday and Monday, National Council for Peace and Order deputy spokeswoman Col Sirichan Ngathong said Tuesday.

Of those arrested, 1,994 were charged with reckless driving while 255 had their driver's licences seized.

Officials impounded 63 motorcycles and 12 cars or public transport vehicles. The owners of these vehicles could reclaim them after the Songkran festival.

On Monday, 1,345 people were arrested for drink-driving, including 875 motorcyclists and 470 drivers of cars and public transport vehicles. Forty-seven vehicles -- 38 motorcycles and nine cars -- were impounded.

The arrests and seizures were part of the campaign against drink-driving.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... fety-pitch
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Wednesday, April 13

Pattaya: I was mostly on "The Dark Side" today. I still have seen no water splashing activity of any kind. This is the first time I've seen nothing at all on the 12th or 13th. Have any of you in Pattaya seen the water splashing starting up?

I believe today is Bangkok's major water splashing day. Those of you in Bangkok, please let us know what's going on there.

This morning I received a text message from a Laotian boy. He's in Vientiane. Today is the major water splashing day in Laos. Those who went to Laos to escape the water splashing - well, I guess you didn't escape.

Due to the severe drought, some areas of Thailand, especially the Chaiyaphum province, have no water at all for water splashing. They have no water, period. No tap water and even the creek beds have completely dried up. I saw an article saying China is going to release dam water to help Thailand get through the drought. Meanwhile, there is no water shortage in Pattaya. That's why I'm expecting mobs of people from the drought-stricken areas to come to Pattaya this year. We'll see. So far traffic appears normal.

It's also hot out there. And I mean hot! The highest recorded temperatures since 1958 are expected throughout Thailand over the next few months. As of 1:00pm, Pattaya is 33°C (92°F). Some areas of Thailand are reporting temperatures of 44°C (111°F).

Forecasters warn of heat stroke as mercury nears record high

THE NATION
April 13, 2016

Sukhothai swelters in its highest April temperatures, approaching nationwide record registered in 1958.

The mercury in the northern province of Sukhothai, Thailand's former capital, has shot to 44 degrees Celsius, the highest the province has ever registered in April, and nearing the highest ever recorded in the country of 44.5 degrees in Uttaradit.

Weather forecasters have warned people against staying in the sun too long given the risk of potentially fatal heat stroke.

Because of a low-pressure zone covering the upper part of Thailand, many provinces have witnessed record-breaking temperatures this month. Lampang's Thoen district on April 7 saw the mercury rise to 43.2 degrees.

On Monday and yesterday, the highest temperatures in Thailand were recorded in Sukhothai's Sri Samrong district, Kanchanaburi at 43.5 and Nakhon Ratchasima at 43.2.

Some provinces saw temperatures this year at the same level as record highs 58 years ago, when Kanchanaburi saw temperatures rise to 43.5 degrees on April 29, 1958.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 83872.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:a relatively large group of Arabs and females with enough motorbikes to completely block the soi throwing water, playing very loud Arab music, and racing up and down the soi.
Why am I not surprised?

Pattaya:
______

I'm hearing that quite a bit of water splashing is happening all along Soi Buakhao.

I'm also hearing there was some water splashing on Third Road - but I don't know where or how much of it was going on.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I took the express river boat to Khao San Road today. Huge crowds and the guy below stood out in the crowd. Tonight i will be amongst the many thousands in Silom.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:the guy below stood out in the crowd.
Thank you very much for posting the photos. And, yes - that guy most definitely stood out. Don't forget to get his phone number - and send it to me . . .