Diet soda

lvdkeyes

Diet soda

Post by lvdkeyes »

AnotherGuy

Re: Diet soda

Post by AnotherGuy »

Yes, the article is right. Moreover, there are other health Problems that can be caused by sweetners. It is known for example that they cause obesity.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

AnotherGuy wrote:Yes, the article is right. Moreover, there are other health Problems that can be caused by sweetners. It is known for example that they cause obesity.
I'd agree if the statement had been "can help cause obesity", but I'm not at all sure that triggering the desire for more food is the problem, because over-eating is really a choice, isn't it? If there are reputable studies on artificial sweeteners shown to cause weight gain I've missed them, but they've been suspected for some time.

My main problem with the article is the wording. As an example:
HealthDay wrote: The acid in soda is in the form of citric acid and phosphoric acid, Bassiouny said. Without good dental hygiene, constant exposure can cause erosion and significant oral damage, he said.

In his study, he found that a woman in her 30s who drank 2 liters of diet soda daily for three to five years experienced tooth rot and decay remarkably similar to that suffered by a 29-year-old methamphetamine addict and a 51-year-old habitual crack cocaine user.
What constitutes "good dental hygiene" and what do they mean by "constant exposure"? Granted, two liters per day sounds like a lot to me, but one woman isn't much of a sample.

Reports and studies on potential health concerns can be valuable guideposts, but hyperbole and overly-liberal interpretations tend to diminish their effectiveness and can do more harm than good. Just my two satang.
AnotherGuy

Post by AnotherGuy »

Of course, over-eating is a choice but it is a fact that sweeteners cause obesity. The explanation is simple. They are far sweeter than sugar. Thus insulin-secretion is induced. The result is ravenous appetite and hunger. Hardly anyone can refrain from eating if that happens. So sweeteners help you gaining weight.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I find it difficult to see a connection between artificial sweeteners and obesity. Artificial sweeteners taste sweet, but have no or very little nutricial value (calories). The sweet taste is caused by binding to some receptors in the tongue, I don't know if they cause production of insulin as well (that would be different receptors in the stomach). If it did, it would defy their purpose and I can't immagine they would have been approved.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

this is very misleading reporting - the original article in the journal "General Dentistry" was titled "Dental erosion due to abuse of illicit drugs and acidic carbonated beverages"

Dental erosion due to abuse of illicit drugs and acidic carbonated beverages

but here the topic title is "Diet Soda", the quoted article title is "Diet Soda Habit as Bad for Teeth as Meth Addiction, Study Claims"

from the quoted article and the original journal article the dental damage is caused by the acidity of the soda not the sweetener used - sugar or artificial!
Methamphetamine, crack cocaine and soda — sweetened or not — are all highly acidic and can cause similar dental problems, Bassiouny said in a study published recently in the journal General Dentistry.
Sugar-free soda is no better than regular soda when it comes to dental decay, Bassiouny added. "Both of them have the same drastic effect if they are consumed in the same frequency, the same amount and the same duration," he said.
so we have a misleading topic title based on a misleading web news item title and a whole thread full of unsupported and often dubious claims - all now indexed by Google thus further polluting search results for "diet soda"!

isn't the Internet a great place to get your health information from when you don't consider the reliability and authority of the articles you read or quote from!

bkkguy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:this is very misleading reporting
Is there ever going to be a post from you that isn't negative?
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote:Is there ever going to be a post from you that isn't negative?
until there are no longer posts that deserve a negative response I suppose I will just have to continue to bear the white man's burden

bkkguy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:until there are no longer posts that deserve a negative response I suppose I will just have to continue to bear the white man's burden
There you have it, folks. Nothing about responding to a post that deserves a positive response. Nothing about initiating a topic about something positive. Just sheer negativity any time we hear from bkkguy. Ok, that's the word from our official resident noodge.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I just took a look at the original articles, and I have to say bkkguy is right. Meaningless title "Diet soda" - Diet soda what? and a first comment that has nothing to do with the subject of the article, and further comments based on that (mine included, not reading the original article), and we are talking about a artificial sweeteners instead of tooth corrosion caused by acid.