Religious Views of Members

RichLB

Religious Views of Members

Post by RichLB »

On another board there is a long thread concerning the possible existence of an afterlife. It has skewed away from that topic to a discussion on the morality of suicide. Until that happened I was surprised to read no one seemed to accept the traditional Judeo-Christian views. So, I ask here. Is there an afterlife, does God exist, and how about reincarnation (we ARE in Thailand, afterall)?
lvdkeyes

Re: Religious Views of Members

Post by lvdkeyes »

I belief in a power greater than myself, call it whatever you want. Afterlife? Dubious. Reincarnation? No.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

I hesitate to say that I believe in reincarnation because I am Taoist (most SE Asian Chinese just say Buddhist without actually knowing the difference) but I have had dreams of places where I have never been or read about or seen depicted in any way, had no reason or interest to look up at any time in the past and never dreamed that I would accidentally come across pictures, videos, etc. of precisely those places, but I did.

I find it interesting but until I actually 'remember' enough details to make a compelling case, I'm afraid the juries still out as far as I'm concerned. However, I'd really like to believe in reincarnation wholeheartedly (it's so nice to think that people who've been mean to me could come back as cockroaches for me to step on in some future lifetime, after all...)
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My religious views are exactly the same as George Carlin's. Nobody says it better than he does:

RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Well, some pretty odd occurrences surrounding the issue of reincarnation seem to be common. We've all had instances of deja vu (which is sort of related), and heard stories similar to xiandarkthorne's. And then there's the incident with the kid in Seattle who Buddhist monks proclaimed to be a reincarnated dali lama (by the way, he currently lives in Paris and doesn't appear to be a monk of any kind - go figure!). I neither believe in reincarnation nor do I disbelieve. To me, though, it's an intriguing possibility.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:Well, some pretty odd occurrences surrounding the issue of reincarnation seem to be common.
Reincarnation would be very nice except for one thing - I don't want to have to go to school again . . .